Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 68 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

He was excellent. He’s strong physically now and puts in a lot of effort to win the ball, and high quality when he gets it. 

Agreed. Best player in that team by a long way. They didn’t have much of ball in first half but more in second and I can’t recall Gauld giving ball away and as you say won the ball in midfield quite a lot. Very intelligent showing. Can’t say much for many of his teammates however. Most kept giving ball away. He would not be out of place in the Benfica team on that showing. Much rather see him than Burke or McBurnie. 

6 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Agreed. Best player in that team by a long way. They didn’t have much of ball in first half but more in second and I can’t recall Gauld giving ball away and as you say won the ball in midfield quite a lot. Very intelligent showing. Can’t say much for many of his teammates however. Most kept giving ball away. He would not be out of place in the Benfica team on that showing. Much rather see him than Burke or McBurnie. 

It must be very frustrating for him playing in that team (albeit I still think they’d beat most SPFL  teams). Gauld looks like he could really run the show with better players around him. The prospect of him playing with the likes of Jack, McTominay, Gilmour, Tierney etc is very exciting. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Gauld has been outstanding against Benfica when he’s managed to find himself on the ball. 

He's been like that all season. I've watched him more than a dozen times now. More times than not he's been the best player on the park. For a relegation fodder of a team, that's remarkable. 

I'd put him in front of Christie (Gauld is playing at a much higher level) and Fraser.

You'll get people that will sneer at that suggestion, but those are the people that don't watch football that is played outside of the UK; the "Out of sight, out of mind" mentality. 

8 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

He's been like that all season. I've watched him more than a dozen times now. More times than not he's been the best player on the park. For a relegation fodder of a team, that's remarkable. 

I'd put him in front of Christie (Gauld is playing at a much higher level) and Fraser.

You'll get people that will sneer at that suggestion, but those are the people that don't watch football that is played outside of the UK; the "Out of sight, out of mind" mentality. 

Fraser on the pitch for close to 40 minutes and touched the ball 8 times.

Won't lose any sleep if he never plays for Scotland again at this rate.

1 hour ago, GHfaeGTA said:

No sure how you measure pass success but either you or OPTA are wrong. His passing is the only weakness in his game stats wise.

Mind you he doesn't pass it unless there is a pass worth risking otherwise he either runs with the ball or shoots.

He has to step up soon to see if he can have as much impact for a better team in a better league.

5 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Fraser on the pitch for close to 40 minutes and touched the ball 8 times.

Won't lose any sleep if he never plays for Scotland again at this rate.

No sure how you measure pass success but either you or OPTA are wrong. His passing is the only weakness in his game stats wise.

Mind you he doesn't pass it unless there is a pass worth risking otherwise he either runs with the ball or shoots.

He has to step up soon to see if he can have as much impact for a better team in a better league.

Sporting Lisbon and Braga interested in signing him. Out of contract at the end of the season. His form at the moment suggests he will be signed by a fairly top level team. Unfinished business at Sporting? 

15 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I have to say Scott Wright looks more than capable of holding down a place in the Rangers first eleven. I always rated him but he looks even better than I thought. His end product maybe still needs to be improved but he looks very composed and confident. Another contender for support striker, probably from next season. 

It's been a while since we had a "he's played five minutes for Rangers so we need to consider him for Scotland" post 👍

1 hour ago, wee-toon-red said:

It's been a while since we had a "he's played five minutes for Rangers so we need to consider him for Scotland" post 👍

Happy to oblige. He’ll need reconditioning of course. 

If there are others you think could play for the Rangers first eleven, and therefore probably Scotland, do get in touch. 👍

1 hour ago, wee-toon-red said:

Wright has played than 1 hour of football since joining rangers.

He has played the full 90 twice this whole season and he's been injured for a fair chunk of his career.

Let's call him up

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Would prefer Sporting to Braga, but La Liga would be better still.

Not sure he would want to return to Sporting after way they treated him last time. Also not sure he would want to move to another foreign country now that he speaks fluent Portuguese? Then again maybe he fancies also speaking Spanish. I’m sure his style of play would be suited to Spain or Italy. Hopefully he gets a move to a big(ish) team. 

6 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He will get games but it’s not easy as they are by far the best team in the country just now 

i agree with this.  The potential is there and if he pushes himself in to a starting slot and scores regularly in the champions league next season against the likes of Bayern, juventus and Liverpool it will be hard to ignore his claim for a squad place.

26 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

He’s basically our #1 CB now 

I'd say so, too.

His career has been a slow burner. He's a late developer, a bit like Colin Hendry was.

Before his injury, Scott McKenna looked very good. Hopefully he's back from injury soon as I can see him in the EPL in a couple of years.

Hanley played on the left side of defence tonight and managed his second worst who scored rating of the season despite Norwich winning 3-1.

Going by the Norwich Forum there are a lot of very tired players in the championship having played more games than the teams in the EPL on far worse surfaces with a lot less strength in depth to rotate. Funny creatures Norwich fans, 10 pts clear and still all they do is slag of the manager

Might be a good thing if Dykes  gets dropped for a couple of games.

Kenny McLean got an assist🙂

46 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I'd say so, too.

His career has been a slow burner. He's a late developer, a bit like Colin Hendry was.

Before his injury, Scott McKenna looked very good. Hopefully he's back from injury soon as I can see him in the EPL in a couple of years.

Are you talking about League one Liam?

I think some of the comments on here about Leeds fans opinions about him show just how hard it is to be objective watching your own team some times.

A lot of Man u fans will never rate McTominay no matter what he does, or I never rated Anya no matter what he did and there are even people who still won't rate McBurnie no matter how many goals he scores for Scotland