Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 64 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Paterson can play anywhere, pretty averagely.

The quality of our squad is on the rise and with additions to come in youd expect guys like Paterson to only be drafted in when we are short going forward. 

That being said he is a better option than McBurnie and more likely to score a goal, despite not always being played as a striker. 

I was thinking more along the lines of if there is an enlarged squad for the Euros. I.e if we are allowed 3 extra players as cover. Guys that are holding onto the 23 man squad with their fingertips. The likes of Paterson and Burke are probably pretty close to being cut, but their versatility might see them included in a 26 man squad, for example. (Again, this is pure speculation. I have no basis for this)

On 2/14/2021 at 3:25 PM, Tartan blood said:

Not so much for the next round of games, but we are going to have to start looking at who is expendable and/or replaceable. With our squad depth now, we are going to have to be ruthless. 

I'd say Taylor, McLean, Considine, Shankland are at the front of the queue for the chopping block, among others. Whereas Armstrong seems to be playing every game like his place depends on it. The competition is fierce.

Anyone who doesnt have armstrong in their team would be mad.

Taylor will maybe sneak in as both Tierney and Robbo will start so he is cover. Mclean will probably get in too. Considine although having played great when needed will probably miss out. Shankland could go either way

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Gilmour not even on the bench tonight.

They are even starting Kepa. Christ. 

He doesn't even give Kante a game, its madness 

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Anyone who doesnt have armstrong in their team would be mad.

Taylor will maybe sneak in as both Tierney and Robbo will start so he is cover. Mclean will probably get in too. Considine although having played great when needed will probably miss out. Shankland could go either way

He doesn't even give Kante a game, its madness 

I assume you mean squad, rather than team. And, yes, Armstrong should be in everyone's final 23 (as it stands). Maybe I should have said it seems like he is playing for a first 11 spot. Which is not that crazy a notion. Especially considering Fraser has been mostly benched, Christie has been on turbulent form, and Turnbull is far less experienced.

22 hours ago, Malcolm said:

i could see this being a possibility.  We may well play a 3-4-2-1 in the euros with Armstrong and Mcginn playing as inside forwards ahead of a half back line of jack and mcgregor.

I would be pretty happy with that tbh

21 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I assume you mean squad, rather than team. And, yes, Armstrong should be in everyone's final 23 (as it stands). Maybe I should have said it seems like he is playing for a first 11 spot. Which is not that crazy a notion. Especially considering Fraser has been mostly benched, Christie has been on turbulent form, and Turnbull is far less experienced.

I did mean squad yes as I don't think anyone would leave him out of that, but I probably would start him if I could, he is a great player with the ability to pull out a goal too. 
Fraser really isn't as good as people seem to think, he canny get a game in a shite newcastle team.
Christie and Mcgregor have been pish for the last 18 months.
Turnball is a good player but I can only see him being in the squad, wouldn''t have him starting yet

23 hours ago, Malcolm said:

i could see this being a possibility.  We may well play a 3-4-2-1 in the euros with Armstrong and Mcginn playing as inside forwards ahead of a half back line of jack and mcgregor.

Where would Robertson play?

15 hours ago, Kirk said:

I would be pretty happy with that tbh

I did mean squad yes as I don't think anyone would leave him out of that, but I probably would start him if I could, he is a great player with the ability to pull out a goal too. 
Fraser really isn't as good as people seem to think, he canny get a game in a shite newcastle team.
Christie and Mcgregor have been pish for the last 18 months.
Turnball is a good player but I can only see him being in the squad, wouldn''t have him starting yet

McGregor, I'll give you, though he probably had his best games for Scotland in the last couple. McTominay, McGinn & Jack > McGregor.

Fraser and Christie I disagree with. Both have their flaws, but both offer pieces of magic in every game they play. When they are flying, I'd be hard pushed to pick who is better. The problem at the moment is they are in and out of their respective teams. But I think at least 1 of them should be in the first 11. 

I wonder if Armstrong has ever played RWB. With the way we play, I think he'd have the attributes to thrive in that role, without having to sacrifice some of our other better players.

Edited by Tartan blood

14 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Mcintyre keeping a clean sheet so far for reading. 

Reading let in five goals in the two games previous but let's not mention that.

Greats stats again tonight, might even squeak the whoscored MoM. His pass success rate for  central defender is pretty poor though but he does everything else very well. Actually looking at it, pass success rates seem to drop as the quality of the leagues do so perhaps if he had better players to pass to..............

Edited by ceudmilefailte

17 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

He seems really promising. Might have a chance to get in the March squad if there’s 1 or 2 injuries. Probably a guy Clarke will want to look at.

Noticed that McKenna is injured, not sure when he’s back. 

He can't be far off the squad. 22 year old and getting loads of great experience. Could also be playing epl next season. 

55 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

He can't be far off the squad. 22 year old and getting loads of great experience. Could also be playing epl next season. 

I would hope he is ahead of Hendry and it's a shame he cant be ahead of Gallagher. If you drop McTominay from the central defenders spots there is a space there though.

Guest ElChris04

Turnbull was fantastic tonight, under the circumstances of playing under a horrendous manger like Lennon, he’s really outshining everyone. 

high hopes for the lad, surely a cert for the March games and at that the euros.

9 hours ago, Malcolm said:

He will be in the squad... not sure who ahead of 

taking sentiment out of it you would expect mclean to drop out for him. he really has to be in the squad though,  I would hope he would come in for burke or paterson but then there is forrest to come back and also fraser who could  come in for them. 

i wouldnt be surprised if clarke drops players from the euro squad for the wc qualifiers and replaces them with the likes of turnbull but takes them back for the euros out of gratitude for the part they have played in getting scotland to the euros. maclean, burke, paterson, shankland for instance 

14 hours ago, Malcolm said:

He will be in the squad... not sure who ahead of 

I'm not convinced he will be in the squad, he is playing well and one of the few positives in a poor celtic side but I am not convinced Clarke would drop mclean for him

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm not convinced he will be in the squad, he is playing well and one of the few positives in a poor celtic side but I am not convinced Clarke would drop mclean for him

He should drop guys like McLean, Paterson etc for the likes of Gauld, Turnbull etc - but I don’t think you’re wrong when you say that it’s likely he won’t.