Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 61 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

if we play the same 3-5-2  (or 3-4-1-2) we have been playing recently then he is competing with Mcginn and Armstrong for the ‘1’ position and behind both.  His best chance is if we play 3-6-1 (3-4-2-1) with the box in central midfield where there are 2 spots up for grabs although you could argue that Fraser or Christie could play a bit deeper in one of those.

So basically what I said lol. 

There will be injuries, suspensions and squad rotation plus mcginn might drop deeper so there is good chance turnbull will get a cap even if its off the bench. 

41 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I think we need to remind ourselves why McGinn is playing an attacking midfield role. At the time, we were struggling for creativity, and he came out of nowhere to provide that. But at the end of the day, his best position is CM. It shouldn't be a given that he continues playing as an attacking midfielder. 

Same goes for McTominay. He played at CB at a time where our options looked extremely weak. 

McTominay and McGinn are superior to McGregor and Kent in the central midfield slots. If you play them there, that then gives you the option to play 2 of Christie, Fraser, or Turnbull. 

McGregor and Kent would be on my bench.

The formation we play tends to have 1 defensive minded CM (Jack / McLean) playing alongside a creative / possession type CM (McGreggor / Fleck) with an attacking CM in front on them (McGinn / Armstrong. 

In front of that we have a number 10 who is expected to also drop into midfield (Christie, Fraser / Forrrest)

The slight problem Turnbull has is that id say most of our options can play in a couple of the positions. Ie McGinn could play either but you wouldnt play him in the defensive CM role. Christie can play the 10 and the attacking etc. 

Ive seen enough of Turnbull to suggest he is most comfortable in the attacking CM role but he might also be good in the number 10 role or the creative role. The problem he has with the creative role is that its a key position in the team and alot of what is required comes from experience. Knowing when to try the pass and when to just slow things down etc.

Turnbull will be a good shout for the next squad but trying to pick a 20 man outfield player squad will be very difficult. I suspect he may just mis out due to his competion just being abit more established and or playing at a higher level. Ie I think it might come down to him or Armstrong. Armstrong has done everything Turnbull is currently doing at Celtic but also has a few years EPL and International experience under his belt. Including making the wrong decision in the crucial England game. Something he will no doubt have learned from and his game management will have got much better with experience.

12 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

The formation we play tends to have 1 defensive minded CM (Jack / McLean) playing alongside a creative / possession type CM (McGreggor / Fleck) with an attacking CM in front on them (McGinn / Armstrong. 

In front of that we have a number 10 who is expected to also drop into midfield (Christie, Fraser / Forrrest)

The slight problem Turnbull has is that id say most of our options can play in a couple of the positions. Ie McGinn could play either but you wouldnt play him in the defensive CM role. Christie can play the 10 and the attacking etc. 

Ive seen enough of Turnbull to suggest he is most comfortable in the attacking CM role but he might also be good in the number 10 role or the creative role. The problem he has with the creative role is that its a key position in the team and alot of what is required comes from experience. Knowing when to try the pass and when to just slow things down etc.

Turnbull will be a good shout for the next squad but trying to pick a 20 man outfield player squad will be very difficult. I suspect he may just mis out due to his competion just being abit more established and or playing at a higher level. Ie I think it might come down to him or Armstrong. Armstrong has done everything Turnbull is currently doing at Celtic but also has a few years EPL and International experience under his belt. Including making the wrong decision in the crucial England game. Something he will no doubt have learned from and his game management will have got much better with experience.

All very good points. You're right about Armstrong especially. He was excelling at Dundee Utd and then Celtic around the same age. Playing at a major tournament is probably the most amount of pressure a player will feel. Armstrong may be better equipped to deal with that, as it stands.

I do think Turnbull should be in the next (hopefully) much larger squad. You never know how things will look by June though. If the 23 man squad was named tomorrow, Turnbull probably wouldn't be in there. But if he ends the season having scored 10+ goals and 10+ assists, (as part of the worst Celtic team in decades, as well as missing a 3rd of the season) it's going to be hard to justify his exclusion.

if we had played 3 at the back against Israel when we beat them 3-2, on all known form we wouldn't have beaten them and wouldn't have won our nations league group.

If we had played a back four in 1998 we might have won the world cup.

Our results since moving to a back three are pretty/ very poor.

Results are deceptive though in the  defeats in Slovakia and Israel we were by far the better team.

Qualifying through the back door for a tournament half of Europe get's into is hardly an achievement.

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Qualifying through the back door for a tournament half of Europe get's into is hardly an achievement.

if you haven't qualified for a tournament since 1998 and string results together to qualify by a back door route, then of course it is an achievement. Defeating Serbia away (the team who put out Norway), Israel twice and Albania twice is noteworthy given Scotland's patchy form and inconsistency, as well as qualifying record and tenancy to choke on the last gasp occasions. 

If it wasn't an achievement nobody would be celebrating - everyone connected to the national team was. Presumably you weren't as you considered it all rather routine and quite easy? 

10 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Gilmour starting tonight.

Great news, he needs a good game & a win. Cup starts & perhaps a Chelsea run to the final combined with a few cameo appearances from the bench in the epl might just be enough to get him in the squad. 

Personally I'd like to see him & Turnbull in the squad for next months WC Qualifiers. In fact start them both against San Marino 

6 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Great news, he needs a good game & a win. Cup starts & perhaps a Chelsea run to the final combined with a few cameo appearances from the bench in the epl might just be enough to get him in the squad. 

Personally I'd like to see him & Turnbull in the squad for next months WC Qualifiers. In fact start them both against San Marino 

Might have to wait a few years for San Marino but we know what you mean.

Players used to break into teams from substitute  appearances rather than friendlies so would prefer us to be in a position during a match to give debuts.

I would like to see us at least try four at the back before the Euros (if they still go ahead).

I think our best chance of getting anything against England is by matching them in midfield. If we switch back to four at the back, it would allow us to play Jack and McGinn as the holding midfield two with McTominay in front and Armstrong and Fraser or Christie wide/supporting Dykes.

Marshall

O’Donnell  Cooper Tierney Robertson

McGinn Jack

Armstrong McTominay Fraser/Christie

Dykes

2 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

I would like to see us at least try four at the back before the Euros (if they still go ahead).

I think our best chance of getting anything against England is by matching them in midfield. If we switch back to four at the back, it would allow us to play Jack and McGinn as the holding midfield two with McTominay in front and Armstrong and Fraser or Christie wide/supporting Dykes.

Marshall

McGinn Jack

Dykes

Decent. Just a shame we don’t have a higher calibre right back. 

49 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Marshall

McGinn Jack

Dykes

If we were to go down that line which we wont, I think it would be back to talking about Tierney at right back to allow Cooper to play on the left of central defence and who ever is flavour of the day on the right side. Currently Hanley, but could be any one in two weeks time the way we treat central defenders.