Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 59 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

Wouldn't have thought so or it will scupper all international and European competitions.

Worth pointing out that there are a raft of occupations that are exempt from having to quarantine, not just sports.

Might just be bad reporting? I did take it from the bbc, right enough. ;)

1 hour ago, aaid said:

There is an exemption for professional sports - which is why Celtic were able to go to Dubai and return without quarantining.  Of course 13 players and two of the staff had to self isolate but that was because they'd been identified as a close contact of a positive case.

No I think that Portugal specifically is in a higher risk category. Elite sports people need to quarantine after coming back to the UK. 

They’re trying to make arrangements for Arsenal to play Benfica at a neutral venue. 

Scotland’s Women are going to play the Portugal away game in Cyprus. 

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Only a complete moron would argue against David Turnbull being called up for the Euros. This lad is a really special player.

Might get a squad place but competition is fierce in that area.  Assuming he would play attacking midfield he would compete with Mcginn, Armstrong, possibly Christie.

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Might get a squad place but competition is fierce in that area.  Assuming he would play attacking midfield he would compete with Mcginn, Armstrong, possibly Christie.

Christie will probably be behind the striker rather than in midfield.

We will have injuries, Covid and suspensions to deal with. It would also be good to have an attacking midfielder to replace McGinn with after 60-70 minutes. Turnbull would strengthen the squad.

Turnbull is an amazing talent playing consistently well for and must playing at the Euros.

Why shouldn't he go ?

Edited by ErsatzThistle

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Christie will probably be behind the striker rather than in midfield.

We will have injuries, Covid and suspensions to deal with. It would also be good to have an attacking midfielder to replace McGinn with after 60-70 minutes. Turnbull would strengthen the squad.

Turnbull is an amazing talent playing consistently well for and must playing at the Euros.

Why shouldn't he go ?

im not saying he shouldn’t,I just wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t.  Uncapped so far and lots of competition in midfield.  Even out with the overt attacking midfielders there are a number of others to fit in the squad, mcgregor, jack, McLean, fleck.  Some people also calling for gilmour, Gauld... going to be lots of competition for places.  I don’t see Clarke taking an uncapped player so unless he features soon he won’t be part of the plans.

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

im not saying he shouldn’t,I just wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t.  Uncapped so far and lots of competition in midfield.  Even out with the overt attacking midfielders there are a number of others to fit in the squad, mcgregor, jack, McLean, fleck.  Some people also calling for gilmour, Gauld... going to be lots of competition for places.  I don’t see Clarke taking an uncapped player so unless he features soon he won’t be part of the plans.

Remind me how many caps Andy Considine had before he was pitched into those two must win games ?

Clarke isn't daft. Turnbull will be there. If that means that Mclean or Fleck have to be ditched then .......... tough. 

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

It's a nice problem for Steve Clarke to have, that's for sure.

He's going to have to leave someone out, but I'd be very surprised if Turnbull doesn't make the final cut (assuming he maintains his form and doesn't get injured). He's a class act.

Just now, ErsatzThistle said:

Remind me how many caps Andy Considine had before he was pitched into those two must win games ?

Clarke isn't daft. Turnbull will be there. If that means that Mclean or Fleck have to be ditched then .......... tough. 

andy considine was a very experienced player, and it’s possibly our weakest position on the pitch.  Centre mid is arguably our strongest alongside left back.  

turnbull shows promise but is still untested at high level, he might make the squad, doubt he will get game time.  Needs to feature in the next few games to have a chance.  Doubt it personally.

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Fleck and/or McLean will most probably be the ones who miss out. Fleck's on form at the moment and plays at a higher level than McLean (for the time being) but hasn't really done it at international level yet. McLean, on the other hand, has been a solid performer.

Just now, Malcolm said:

andy considine was a very experienced player, and it’s possibly our weakest position on the pitch.  Centre mid is arguably our strongest alongside left back.  

turnbull shows promise but is still untested at high level, he might make the squad, doubt he will get game time.  Needs to feature in the next few games to have a chance.  Doubt it personally.

I take it you didn't see Turnbull playing well in Europe a couple of months back then ?

If McLean or Fleck are good professionals then they will accept with good grace that it is only natural that they should be replaced by a more talented player.

6 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Certainly untested at international level but he could be a great player for us, I think you’re right that he is running out of time though to prove that and do enough to move someone out the squad. 

There is definitely work to be done with our midfield in terms of creating chances and being a goal threat, so in that sense Turnbull could force his way in.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I take it you didn't see Turnbull playing well in Europe a couple of months back then ?

If McLean or Fleck are good professionals then they will accept with good grace that it is only natural that they should be replaced by a more talented player.

yeah I did, he looked good.  Billy gilmour looked great last year but he might not make the squad either.  Turnbull couldn’t even get in to a poor Celtic side until recently. Fleck is playing at a higher level than turnbull.

I think Clarke will remain fairly loyal to the guys that got him there.  I can see the midfield three being Mcginn, jack, Mcgregor, possibly with mctominay at the expense of mcgregor if he decides to move him in there.  There will be squad places for Armstrong, fleck, then it’s a guess for possibly one from McLean, gilmour, turnbull, maybe even gauld.  None of the latter likely to play

Just now, Malcolm said:

yeah I did, he looked good.  Billy gilmour looked great last year but he might not make the squad either.  Turnbull couldn’t even get in to a poor Celtic side until recently. Fleck is playing at a higher level than turnbull.

I think Clarke will remain fairly loyal to the guys that got him there.  I can see the midfield three being Mcginn, jack, Mcgregor, possibly with mctominay at the expense of mcgregor if he decides to move him in there.  There will be squad places for Armstrong, fleck, then it’s a guess for possibly one from McLean, gilmour, turnbull, maybe even gauld.  None of the latter likely to play

Clarke has given debuts to at least eleven players since taking on the job and didn't mess around when it came to (correctly) ditching Mulgrew and Snodgrass. 

Turnbull didn't get into the Celtic team earlier in the season due to the fact he was still recovering form a serious injury when the season began, he then had a brief injury setback and then a less than competent manager kept on the bench for several vital weeks where Turnbull could have made the difference. he wasn't left out because he wasn't any good.

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Clarke has given debuts to at least eleven players since taking on the job and didn't mess around when it came to (correctly) ditching Mulgrew and Snodgrass. 

Turnbull didn't get into the Celtic team earlier in the season due to the fact he was still recovering form a serious injury when the season began, he then had a brief injury setback and then a less than competent manager kept on the bench for several vital weeks where Turnbull could have made the difference. he wasn't left out because he wasn't any good.

If he’s decent next season, might get a move to a top EPL side and hopefully we can see him develop in to a top player.  File under one for the future for me.