Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 55 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

Gilmour not in the match day squad for Chelsea again, and that’s with Havertz out injured. 
It’s baffling that Tuchel has knocked back loan bids for him when he’s got no intention of playing him. In his own words, Gilmour needs to work on his physicality...... so why not loan him to a senior club. It’s effectively messed up any chance of him getting into our Euros squad, which Gilmour can’t be happy about.

Gilmour not in the squad is even more baffling when for the 3rd game in a row the manager has included 3 left backs.

I said on the other thread that I think the manager just chose to deny Gilmour a loan move because he hadnt had the chance to properly evaluate the squad yet. Unless Chelsea get at least 3 injuries to CM players, I cant see Gilmour getting anywhere near the game time he should. This is where I wish Scottish players were abit less complient and abit more selfish.

53 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Gilmour not in the squad is even more baffling when for the 3rd game in a row the manager has included 3 left backs.

I said on the other thread that I think the manager just chose to deny Gilmour a loan move because he hadnt had the chance to properly evaluate the squad yet. Unless Chelsea get at least 3 injuries to CM players, I cant see Gilmour getting anywhere near the game time he should. This is where I wish Scottish players were abit less complient and abit more selfish.

It’s the perfect storm.

New manager comes in right at the end of the transfer window, needs time to assess the squad so Gilmour doesn’t get his loan move, Tuchel opts for experience and the team gets the new manager “bounce” and starts performing. Gilmour doesn’t get anywhere near the team, and is reduced to just training with the first team rather than playing games at a crucial stage of his development, when he’s already missed months with a knee injury. And all this at a time when he is pushing to get into our Euro’s squad. It’s a footballing travesty if a talent like him misses out and the likes of Calum Paterson get picked.

Gutted for him.

Edited by SWMM82

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

You’d expect Gauld, Turnbull & Hendry to all have a good chance of the next squad. 

Think Hendry's inclusion will depend on Clarkes plans for Mctominay so you might think he would get in.

Can't see Turnbull and Gauld both being picked as they are pretty much the same type of player.  He will probably go Turnbull because Daily Record readers would jam the hotline if he didn't.

Anyone else dying to see the next Scotland squad.

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Think Hendry's inclusion will depend on Clarkes plans for Mctominay so you might think he would get in.

Can't see Turnbull and Gauld both being picked as they are pretty much the same type of player.  He will probably go Turnbull because Daily Record readers would jam the hotline if he didn't.

Absolutely! Unless Clarke picks a 35 man squad, I think it's safe to say we are all going to have a hell of a lot of exclusions to debate over! I thought we looked strong in November, but now it seems like there is another name added to the hat every fortnight. 

I can't even imagine how difficult it is going to be to pick only 23! I love it! 

20 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Absolutely! Unless Clarke picks a 35 man squad, I think it's safe to say we are all going to have a hell of a lot of exclusions to debate over! I thought we looked strong in November, but now it seems like there is another name added to the hat every fortnight. 

I can't even imagine how difficult it is going to be to pick only 23! I love it! 

If Clarke uses who scored to pick his squad, (I'm sure he does) Gauld was MoM today by the biggest margin I have seen since following the ratings and is now the third best player in Portugal.

49 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

It may be a 26 man squad in March with it being a triple header. Pity about Gilmour not getting a loan move though.

I'm sure Clarke has called up a 28ish man squad before. I don't think there are any footballing reasons you can't call as many people as you want, they just won't all be in the match day squad.

I'd like Clarke to do what Strachan did and bring along some up-and-comers and fringe players like Gauld, Gilmour, Turnbull et al, and get them integrated, even if they are unlikely to make the Euros.

3 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

It’s the perfect storm.

New manager comes in right at the end of the transfer window, needs time to assess the squad so Gilmour doesn’t get his loan move, Tuchel opts for experience and the team gets the new manager “bounce” and starts performing. Gilmour doesn’t get anywhere near the team, and is reduced to just training with the first team rather than playing games at a crucial stage of his development, when he’s already missed months with a knee injury. And all this at a time when he is pushing to get into our Euro’s squad. It’s a footballing travesty if a talent like him misses out and the likes of Calum Paterson get picked.

Gutted for him.

not sure why we everyone is that bothered about this.  Gilmour was unlikely to play in any of the games... outside squad member at best for me.  If he was that good tuchel would play him.  He looks neat and tidy on the ball and if keeps progressing might force his way in to the reckoning.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Your right in saying there's a lot of competition but apart from the Tierney/Robbo debate it's only in midfield where we have a abundance of good quality.

Central defence plenty of solid pros but no stand outs. I'm sure we can debate them over the coming months. 

3rd choice keeper is up for grabs as is O'donnell's probably back up in our by far weakest position RB/RWB  

As for the Forwards, there's a abundance of potentials, the one who has been key for us lately Dykes hasn't scored for what seems months. Really hope for his confidence he can bag a few for QPR especially from open play before the end of the season. If he doesn't & loses his club place then his Euro place can't be guaranteed either. The only definite for me is  Fraser, he is versatile,has plenty pace & is excellent technically so unless he was to totally drop out of the Newcastle first team picture or is injured again he is a cert.  If Dykes does find some form then he is in & then it's probably only 2 or 3 from Burke, McBurnie, Griffiths & Forrest though that could change with a good run of form from any of our dark horses Nisbet, Morgan, Russell & Phillips or less likely Shankland or Mikey Johnston. The only other i could see coming in with a late run is dare i say it that superior black stallion Che Adams😁. As him committing to Scotland looks unlikely I'll get behind whoever is selected but personally I'm hoping Forrest makes it & Burke can kick on from his match winner against Man Utd as this guy with his power & pace could be a serious threat to use from the bench. 

6 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Hendry plays in the middle of the back 5. That is where he is thriving, if he replaces anyone then it is Gallagher in the middle.

6 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Your right in saying there's a lot of competition but apart from the Tierney/Robbo debate it's only in midfield where we have a abundance of good quality.

Central defence plenty of solid pros but no stand outs. I'm sure we can debate them over the coming months. 

3rd choice keeper is up for grabs as is O'donnell's probably back up in our by far weakest position RB/RWB  

As for the Forwards, there's a abundance of potentials, the one who has been key for us lately Dykes hasn't scored for what seems months. Really hope for his confidence he can bag a few for QPR especially from open play before the end of the season. If he doesn't & loses his club place then his Euro place can't be guaranteed either. The only definite for me is  Fraser, he is versatile,has plenty pace & is excellent technically so unless he was to totally drop out of the Newcastle first team picture or is injured again he is a cert.  If Dykes does find some form then he is in & then it's probably only 2 or 3 from Burke, McBurnie, Griffiths & Forrest though that could change with a good run of form from any of our dark horses Nisbet, Morgan, Russell & Phillips or less likely Shankland or Mikey Johnston. The only other i could see coming in with a late run is dare i say it that superior black stallion Che Adams😁. As him committing to Scotland looks unlikely I'll get behind whoever is selected but personally I'm hoping Forrest makes it & Burke can kick on from his match winner against Man Utd as this guy with his power & pace could be a serious threat to use from the bench. 

I keep hearing this "only in midfield" argument, which makes it sound like 1 position. Arguably, that is 5 players. Plus a quality LWB (Robbo) and LCB (Tierney). Add in player of the year, Marshall, in goals. That's 8 high quality players out of 11 on the field. I'd also argue that our CB options are getting stronger and stronger by the day. Gallagher has been fantastic, but even if you don't count him, we have Cooper, McKenna, Hanley and Hendry all on form. McKenna, I reckon, will be the one making the step up long term. I'd rather one of them played at CB than McTominay, but I'll defer to Clarke's better judgement.

So, really there are only 2 "problem" positions out of 11. That's pretty good going for an international team. But saying that, an on fire Griffiths or Dykes have already proven they are international level players. Hopefully one or both are showing their quality around June time.

35 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I keep hearing this "only in midfield" argument, which makes it sound like 1 position. Arguably, that is 5 players. Plus a quality LWB (Robbo) and LCB (Tierney). Add in player of the year, Marshall, in goals. That's 8 high quality players out of 11 on the field. I'd also argue that our CB options are getting stronger and stronger by the day. Gallagher has been fantastic, but even if you don't count him, we have Cooper, McKenna, Hanley and Hendry all on form. McKenna, I reckon, will be the one making the step up long term. I'd rather one of them played at CB than McTominay, but I'll defer to Clarke's better judgement.

So, really there are only 2 "problem" positions out of 11. That's pretty good going for an international team. But saying that, an on fire Griffiths or Dykes have already proven they are international level players. Hopefully one or both are showing their quality around June time.

Our midfield options are alot stronger than our other positions apart from left back. The centre backs you have named are hardly comparable to our midfield options. We have loads of quality midfielders who play epl or could play top flight in European leagues. Guys like mcgregor, christie, mctominay, fleck, Armstrong etc. We don't have many centre backs who can cut it at a high club level. 

Same with right back and upfront. 

57 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Gallagher has been fantastic, but even if you don't count him, we have Cooper, McKenna, Hanley and Hendry all on form. McKenna, I reckon, will be the one making the step up long term. I'd rather one of them played at CB than McTominay, but I'll defer to Clarke's better judgement.

McKenna has played 4 of 15 games since the start of December.

Edited by BremnerLorimerGray

56 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Griffiths has scored 4 goals in 22 games for Scotland. 2 of which came in the same match so I dont agree that he has proven that he is an international class striker. I do rate him when he is fit and playing regular games however that hasnt happened for a number of years now and I suspect that people are remembering him more fondly due to our shortage in quality up front.

He was terrible in the last group of games. Worse than McBurnie actually but escapes the criticism somehow.

19 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Our midfield options are alot stronger than our other positions apart from left back. The centre backs you have named are hardly comparable to our midfield options. We have loads of quality midfielders who play epl or could play top flight in European leagues. Guys like mcgregor, christie, mctominay, fleck, Armstrong etc. We don't have many centre backs who can cut it at a high club level. 

Same with right back and upfront. 

I know we don't have many top CBs, but if McTominay and Tierney continue to play in the back 3, we only need 1. I trust one or two of Gallagher, McKenna, Hanley and Cooper to do a job there.

RWB, I'll give you. I'd love to experiment with playing Armstrong or Burke. I think they both have the attributes to play there.

Up front is a worry due to form. No guarantees any of our strikers will be on form come the Euros. But you never know.

10 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Griffiths has scored 4 goals in 22 games for Scotland. 2 of which came in the same match so I dont agree that he has proven that he is an international class striker. I do rate him when he is fit and playing regular games however that hasnt happened for a number of years now and I suspect that people are remembering him more fondly due to our shortage in quality up front.

He was terrible in the last group of games. Worse than McBurnie actually but escapes the criticism somehow.

Without looking up the stats, I remember a large portion of those appearances came from the bench and a lot of his starts were against the likes of Belgium, where he was never likely to score. He also has some assists. Anyway, I don't want to defend his stats, but he is by far our most gifted finisher. So having him on form could be invaluable.

47 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Worse than McBurnie!? 🤔

How? 

6 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Hendry plays in the middle of the back 5. That is where he is thriving, if he replaces anyone then it is Gallagher in the middle.

I've commented on the fact that he plays in the middle of a back five and asked the question does it make average players look great. Gallagher isn't a very good SPL defender but looks great for Scotland. Mckenna all of a sudden looked like the prospect he once was when Aberdeen switched to a back five, he has hardly set the championship a light in a back 4.

Now we have Hendry looking 10 times the player he was at Celtic, there is a common theme here.