Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 54 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

33 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Just saying what his teams fans are saying. He's been rubbish for Scotland but he is a far better player than Dykes. 

Fleck is playing better 

Only a stats site but fraser had his best game for Newcastle by a mile last night according to who scored. 

Hes not far better than dykes. Both are average/poor strikers who belong in the English Championship but the difference is dykes at least puts in a decent performance for Scotland. 

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Dykes over McBurnie every time. It’s a mentality thing as much as anything. Dykes is a proper competitor, McBurnie doesn’t seem one for the trenches. Dykes also has pace.

Thats the best analysis of the problem, Dykes competiveness is probably a lot better than McBurnies at international level and even at club level. 

We all know the dumb things he has done outside football so hopefully when he grows up he can turn in consistent good performances for club and Country

Regarding his lack of goals, Sheffield United barely scored a goal a game last season so it wasn't just him. 

Dykes is not going to get any better than he currently is. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Hes not far better than dykes. Both are average/poor strikers who belong in the English Championship but the difference is dykes at least puts in a decent performance for Scotland. 

McBurnie was a great championship striker that's why Sheffield United paid so much for him, if QPR could get a refund on Dykes they would take it 

Dykes fits the bill for Scotland as is the player we were crying out for up front who could link up with supporting players. Is he a better player than McBurnie? On career evidence so far? No. McBurnie has proven he can score at the top level of club football. I can't see Dykes ever doing that. However, Dykes is an important asset for the way we (Scotland) play.

16 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Screenshot_20210202_223903_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.a103b86bc937d9886e4d56b29b48a17b.jpg

As good as that is, they were against 10 men from 2 mins in, and then 9 men later on. He has been playing well though and chipping in with goals which is good, hopefully we can get him in the middle for Scotland asap as he would make a big difference.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

McBurnie was a great championship striker that's why Sheffield United paid so much for him, if QPR could get a refund on Dykes they would take it 

QPR are utter dung and you can only blame one player so much

58 minutes ago, Kirk said:

As good as that is, they were against 10 men from 2 mins in, and then 9 men later on. He has been playing well though and chipping in with goals which is good, hopefully we can get him in the middle for Scotland asap as he would make a big difference.

QPR are utter dung and you can only blame one player so much

I'm being a bit unfair on Dykes, the QPR fans are in no way blaming him for the poor results rather the way the team is set up and that it does not suit Dyes amongst  others.

The same can be said about McBurnie the whole set up at Sheffield United is to stop the other team scoring a bit like us in our last internationals. Last night McBurnie was allowed to play in a the way did at Swansea and by the sounds of things he actually looked like a decent player.

Sheffield United rotate their forwards but the amount of times McBurnie was brought on or left on to defend a lead was unreal last season. When you have three central defender's and a striker who can act as fourth it makes you pretty hard to score against.

Anyone know how 3-4-2-1 and 3-4-3 work, I take it that means no need for wing backs.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I'm being a bit unfair on Dykes, the QPR fans are in no way blaming him for the poor results rather the way the team is set up and that it does not suit Dyes amongst  others.

The same can be said about McBurnie the whole set up at Sheffield United is to stop the other team scoring a bit like us in our last internationals. Last night McBurnie was allowed to play in a the way did at Swansea and by the sounds of things he actually looked like a decent player.

Sheffield United rotate their forwards but the amount of times McBurnie was brought on or left on to defend a lead was unreal last season. When you have three central defender's and a striker who can act as fourth it makes you pretty hard to score against.

Anyone know how 3-4-2-1 and 3-4-3 work, I take it that means no need for wing backs.

Agree, unfortunatley out main strikers are at teams that don't dominate, although that works in with Scotland a bit it isnt ideal for them to build confidence and score lots of goals. I think there is a good player in Mcburnie but he needs to have a partner up front, he is goo with the ball at his feet too.

Dykes and McBurnie make it into my squad. 
didn’t know about Dykes Aussie rules background but looks like it and always enjoyed the lazy swung sock effort by , is it Scotland’s most expensive ever , record holding , player . 

6 hours ago, Shaundy said:

didn’t know about Dykes Aussie rules background but looks like it and always enjoyed the lazy swung sock effort by , is it Scotland’s most expensive ever , record holding , player . 

He's only Scotland's most expensive player ever because no one can afford Scott McTominay

17 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Dykes fits the bill for Scotland as is the player we were crying out for up front who could link up with supporting players. Is he a better player than McBurnie? On career evidence so far? No. McBurnie has proven he can score at the top level of club football. I can't see Dykes ever doing that. However, Dykes is an important asset for the way we (Scotland) play.

McBurnie hasn't proven he can score goals at the top level of club football. He's proven at championship level but that's about his level. Dykes has had a Mediocre first season in the championship. I think dykes and McBurnie are both similar standard of player but dykes didn't play pro football til the age of 20. I think given time dykes will be a success in the championship. He also plays well for Scotland which mcburnie clearly doesn't. 

10 hours ago, Kirk said:

Agree, unfortunatley out main strikers are at teams that don't dominate, although that works in with Scotland a bit it isnt ideal for them to build confidence and score lots of goals. I think there is a good player in Mcburnie but he needs to have a partner up front, he is goo with the ball at his feet too.

As much as I want Scotland players to do well mcburnie is just clearly not a good player. He has the odd decent game for Sheffield United but he's one of the main reasons why they are rock bottom. 

Spending 20m on him was absolute madness and I doubt another Premier league club will pick him up once they get relegated. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

As much as I want Scotland players to do well mcburnie is just clearly not a good player. He has the odd decent game for Sheffield United but he's one of the main reasons why they are rock bottom. 

Spending 20m on him was absolute madness and I doubt another Premier league club will pick him up once they get relegated. 

Very accurate. As is the statement above about Dykes and McBurnie.

Its 5 or 6 weeks till the triple header squad is named & unless he turns into a good player somehow between now and then, McBurnie who’s sconed 1 goal in a year shouldn’t be near the squad. 

9 hours ago, Shaundy said:

I'm pretty sure Tierney is the most expensive, at £25m. But Robertson would go for £50m+ if sold now. McTominay and McGinn would almost certainly break that record, too. And in the past Darren Fletcher would have been a £30m player in his prime. 

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

McBurnie hasn't proven he can score goals at the top level of club football. He's proven at championship level but that's about his level. Dykes has had a Mediocre first season in the championship. I think dykes and McBurnie are both similar standard of player but dykes didn't play pro football til the age of 20. I think given time dykes will be a success in the championship. He also plays well for Scotland which mcburnie clearly doesn't. 

Well he has scored nine goals for a Premier League team so that suggests otherwise and his strike rate at Championship level blows Dykes' out of the water. Like I said Dykes a better fit for our system in the national squad than McBurnie but does not equate to a better player.

I can think of many players who do well at international level but hardly set the world alight at club level and vice versa. It happens.

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well he has scored nine goals for a Premier League team so that suggests otherwise and his strike rate at Championship level blows Dykes' out of the water. Like I said Dykes a better fit for our system in the national squad than McBurnie but does not equate to a better player.

I can think of many players who do well at international level but hardly set the world alight at club level and vice versa. It happens.

Hes scored 7 epl goals in 67 appearances. That stat to me proves he is not good enough for that level. Fair enough he is a decent championship striker which also means you are easily good enough for the Scotland squad these days. 

Dykes has had half a season in a poor QPR team so it's a little unfair to compare scoring records at that level right now. Saying that I don't rate dykes particularly highly either but I acknowledge that he's at least put in some decent performances for Scotland which let's be honest mcburnie hasn't. 

Our best striker imo is Griffiths and I would like to see him given a chance in the march games especially if dykes is injured. 

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Hes scored 7 epl goals in 67 appearances. That stat to me proves he is not good enough for that level. Fair enough he is a decent championship striker which also means you are easily good enough for the Scotland squad these days. 

Dykes has had half a season in a poor QPR team so it's a little unfair to compare scoring records at that level right now. Saying that I don't rate dykes particularly highly either but I acknowledge that he's at least put in some decent performances for Scotland which let's be honest mcburnie hasn't. 

Our best striker imo is Griffiths and I would like to see him given a chance in the march games especially if dykes is injured. 

It is all supposition about Dykes though until he proves himself at championship level. I hope he does but time will tell.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is all supposition about Dykes though until he proves himself at championship level. I hope he does but time will tell.

Yeh thats true but I defo disagree about mcburnie being proven in the epl. Both strikers are English championship level imo but mcburnie has defo shown he can be good at that level. Dykes I think will do well in time but he's in a poor QPR team. 

Only striker we have that I think could do OK in the epl is a fully fit(mentally and physically) Griffiths. 

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh thats true but I defo disagree about mcburnie being proven in the epl. Both strikers are English championship level imo but mcburnie has defo shown he can be good at that level. Dykes I think will do well in time but he's in a poor QPR team. 

Only striker we have that I think could do OK in the epl is a fully fit(mentally and physically) Griffiths. 

No my point was meant to be he is more proven than Dykes is. I bet if you offered Sheffield United fans a swap deal of McBurnie for Dykes they'd turn it down in a shot.

33 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No my point was meant to be he is more proven than Dykes is. I bet if you offered Sheffield United fans a swap deal of McBurnie for Dykes they'd turn it down in a shot.

What do you think the result of that competition would be if you asked Scotland fans?

21 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Maybe that's the answer - stick McBurnie in the back 3. He's fkin brilliant at keeping the ball out the net.