Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 49 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

3 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

You have to hope that being 60 points clear Patterson will get some game time now. I just wonder if his future lies elsewhere because you can't imagine Tavernier going anywhere.

Gerrard is on record as saying that he's not a reserve but part of the first team squad. Big clubs need 2 players for each position.

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

It looks like Patterson is the best right back prospect Scotland have had since Hutton & it would be nice to see Tavernier sold as from what you can see Patterson is ready to start & won’t be long till he’s in international reckoning. 

At the same age for me Patterson is a better player and prospect than Hutton was. Hutton wasn't in the same position Patterson is until 20/21 and it wasn't until he was around 22/23 that Hutton exploded and looked a great player. They do have very similar styles and outside of injuries I can see Patterson having a very good career and probably eclipsing Hutton's career. 

I feel bad for Hutton injuries and making the wrong move, a bit too early really curtailed his progress. I think in hindsight staying at Rangers to finish that European campaign, getting the experience of that and then leaving would have helped him longer term. He still had a great career but at that time he was soo highly rated and could've been our superstar.

On young promising Scottish RBs Harrison Ashby at West Ham is very highly rated and looks very promising aswell. Hopefully both Patterson and Ashby kick in and we have 2 young Scottish RBs duking it out to be Scotland's first choice RB.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Jack is a very good player and he transformed himself into a first pick key player for Rangers & also cemented his place in the Scotland squad. 

He’s someone who for me is starting quality for Scotland but it’s a very competitive position. 

Eventually, you’d hope, McTominay can move into midfield & you’d expect McTomiany & Gilmour to nail down two of the midfield starting berths. Jack will be in the mix though definitely. 

I think post Euro's you hope some younger CBs will kick on and step up, so Mctominay can be moved back into midfield. The problem is not many seem like they are ready or have the ability on the ball to replace what Mctominay gives us in defence. I think if Porteous could cut out the stupid stuff and tone down his aggression, then long term he could be that player. He is good on the ball and a decent passer. 

Gilmour should hopefully be in the Euro squad. As thankful as I am to Kenny McLean for the winning penalities, I would rather take a better younger player to the EURO's who long term could be our main man.

It's kind of scary how good of a ball playing team we could have in 4/5 years if they continue to develop. Just need to find a keeper and central defender 😅

22 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I think post Euro's you hope some younger CBs will kick on and step up, so Mctominay can be moved back into midfield. The problem is not many seem like they are ready or have the ability on the ball to replace what Mctominay gives us in defence. I think if Porteous could cut out the stupid stuff and tone down his aggression, then long term he could be that player. He is good on the ball and a decent passer. 

Gilmour should hopefully be in the Euro squad. As thankful as I am to Kenny McLean for the winning penalities, I would rather take a better younger player to the EURO's who long term could be our main man.

It's kind of scary how good of a ball playing team we could have in 4/5 years if they continue to develop. Just need to find a keeper and central defender 😅

Porteous is the most promising based in Scotland for sure. Jack Hendry I feel could break into the next squad though. 

Agree on the Gilmour over McLean situation. Gilmour does need a run of games though and then his inclusion is more of a certainty. Kenny McLean is playing regularly now for a table topping side - he’s got covid 19 though confirmed today so will be out for a little while. 

35 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

we need a goal scoring centre forward

5 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He’s someone who for me is starting quality for Scotland but it’s a very competitive position. 

As long as McTominay is in defence he has no competition for his position.

Gilmour is the left  hand side option to McGregor, McLean and McGinn. I think every one would prefer McGinn further up the pitch.

Ideal world we have Mctominay and Gilmour as our deep midfield players, but if you honestly think Jack is good enough to make us competitive against decent opposition you are deluded. He is little more than a good solid professional.

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Gilmour is the left  hand side option to McGregor, McLean and McGinn. I think every one would prefer McGinn further up the pitch.

Ideal world we have Mctominay and Gilmour as our deep midfield players, but if you honestly think Jack is good enough to make us competitive against decent opposition you are deluded. He is little more than a good solid professional.

Jack is the man in possession of the shirt, and one of the best players in our qualifying campaign.  To dislodge him one of two things would have to happen.  Either his form drops off a cliff or gilmour gets a regular game for Chelsea and excels consistently.  If we assume that mctominay stays at centre half, jack is first pick in defensive midfield with mcgregor behind him.

6 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Porteous is the most promising based in Scotland for sure. Jack Hendry I feel could break into the next squad though. 

Agree on the Gilmour over McLean situation. Gilmour does need a run of games though and then his inclusion is more of a certainty. Kenny McLean is playing regularly now for a table topping side - he’s got covid 19 though confirmed today so will be out for a little while. 

I don’t agree on Porteous, a bit of a bomb scare for me, although maybe he’ll learn a bit of composure.  Jamie Hamilton looks tremendous, however. 

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I don’t think Jack should start ahead of McGinn, we have a lot of good midfielders with McTominay, Gilmour, McGinn etc. At the moment McTominay plays at the back though.

Jack is good enough to start but may not always start, based on how strong we are in that position.

Callum McGregor shouldn’t be a nailed on starter though. No Celtic players should be now 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

I don’t think Jack should start ahead of McGinn, we have a lot of good midfielders with McTominay, Gilmour, McGinn etc. At the moment McTominay plays at the back though.

Jack is good enough to start but may not always start, based on how strong we are in that position.

Callum McGregor shouldn’t be a nailed on starter though. No Celtic players should be now 

McGinn might be playing deep for Villa but I'm not convinced about that at all, plus again he is more left sided. We seem to struggle on the right in just about every position, which is why am so big on Hanley at the moment, if he is good enough it frees up McTominay for the right hand role.

Could Jack play on the left? Of course that depends on how quickly you want Gilmour in.

On 1/24/2021 at 9:26 AM, ProudScot said:

There’s a good chance Tavernier may get interest from the EPL in the summer. That being said there will be plenty games next season for Patterson with the champions league added in for Rangers 

Tav really isn't that good a player, think he would get more than found out in the top league down there.

Also no mention of superstar Ryan Fraser warming the bench again and gettin a wee 10 mins at the end. Newcastle losing yet again. Great move

37 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Liam Cooper playing on the right hand side of the Leeds defence tonight against Newcastle so perhaps he is an option to play there for us. He is probably as good a central defender as we have.

Ryan Fraser also started but according to a certain stats web site so far he is the worst player on the park.

How did fraser play? I noticed he was subbed late on

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Liam Cooper playing on the right hand side of the Leeds defence tonight against Newcastle so perhaps he is an option to play there for us. He is probably as good a central defender as we have.

Ryan Fraser also started but according to a certain stats web site so far he is the worst player on the park.

He started on the left but his defensive partner went off injured after 6 minutes and the replacement was left footed too and a youngster 

30 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

How did fraser play? I noticed he was subbed late on

Didn't watch it but according to WhoScored he was close to useless, as he has been for over a year, apart from when he plays for us.

When does loyalty become stupidity is the question , he was pretty poor at turning up for long enough.