Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 46 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

14 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Harper, Armstrong Okoflex, Frimpong, Dembele, Hazard, Laxalt, Soro

Okoflex and dembele never started. Laxalt and frimpong are first team players who would of started anyways. Even soro would of started had the circumstances been normal. Having three Scottish Young players playing is pretty decent  considering rangers regularly play 0.

Edited by mccaughey85

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Okoflex and dembele never started. Laxalt and frimpong are first team players who would of started anyways. Even soro would of started had the circumstances been normal. Having three Scottish Young players playing is pretty decent  considering rangers regularly play 0.

Turnbull is a first pick. And what do Rangers have to do with it!? 

If Rangers had 14 first team players ruled out on the day of a game you’d see plenty young Scots in action.

At the moment they are an embarrassment of a club and it’s great they didn’t win & I say that as a neutral. 

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

If Rangers had 14 first team players ruled out on the day of a game you’d see plenty young Scots in action.

At the moment they are an embarrassment of a club and it’s great they didn’t win & I say that as a neutral. 

Not sure what you expected celtic to do in this situation. They are going to play as many of their first team players they can. That means guys like soro, Frimpong, Laxalt,duffy are guaranteed to start. They then have to look at the best options from the rest of their squad to fill a position. They are trying to win a title here. Throwing some untested Scottish youngster in instead of laxalt and Duffy is fucking nuts. They tried playing the best side they could which coincidentally allowed three Scottish Young players and a couple other young players the chance to show they are capable at this level. 

9 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I doubt rangers would play much more than three young Scots if they were in the same situation. They would fill their team with the rest of the first team squad and hand out a few places to young players the same as celtic have done tonight. 

2 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Same can be said for Harper, as he has two Scottish parents. He's both Scottish and American, probably in equal measure. It's up to him who he chooses to play for (if he gets to that level) and he should be made welcome to either decision

Absolutely.

Theres no issue with a young person with dual nationality taking time etc. 

My point is that Dembele represents England & Harper USA isnt it? So they aren’t Scottish, for now anyway. 

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not sure what you expected celtic to do in this situation. They are going to play as many of their first team players they can. That means guys like soro, Frimpong, Laxalt,duffy are guaranteed to start. They then have to look at the best options from the rest of their squad to fill a position. They are trying to win a title here. Throwing some untested Scottish youngster in instead of laxalt and Duffy is fucking nuts. They tried playing the best side they could which coincidentally allowed three Scottish Young players and a couple other young players the chance to show they are capable at this level. 

Duffy is utter dung, he plays shite every week. A youngster would do no worse.

Using your logic would mean.celtic could never give youngsters a chance because Celtic are always trying to win a title.

Not that it matters,if young scottish players have any sense theyd get the fuck out of scotland and learn their trade in a better league. The scottish league is a laughable mess. Rangers in their pursuit of stopping ten in a row will not priorotise youth and celtic will be the same from now on. Scotland is back to the big two stopping each other at all costs. The other ten are just happy to be there.

Edited by vanderark14

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Not that it matters,if young scottish players have any sense theyd get the fuck out of scotland and learn their trade in a better league. The scottish league is a laughable mess. Rangers in their pursuit of stopping ten in a row will not priorotise youth and celtic will be the same from now on. Scotland is back to the big two stopping each other at all costs. The other ten are just happy to be there.

Scottish Football missed a wonderful opportunity for reform when Rangers were in the lower leagues. It was a chance to level the playing field. I was also hoping another 1 or 2 teams would have stepped up to the plate in Rangers absence. Aberdeen did to an extent, but never really looked like challenging for titles. That's not their fault, of course.

But it's too late now. As you say, we have reverted to pre-2010 days and it's probably here to stay. At least Celtic aren't guaranteed victory now....

23 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Scottish Football missed a wonderful opportunity for reform when Rangers were in the lower leagues. It was a chance to level the playing field. I was also hoping another 1 or 2 teams would have stepped up to the plate in Rangers absence. Aberdeen did to an extent, but never really looked like challenging for titles. That's not their fault, of course.

But it's too late now. As you say, we have reverted to pre-2010 days and it's probably here to stay. At least Celtic aren't guaranteed victory now....

Until the gate money is shared 50:50 again the league will only be won by the Old Firm. 

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Duffy is utter dung, he plays shite every week. A youngster would do no worse.

Using your logic would mean.celtic could never give youngsters a chance because Celtic are always trying to win a title.

Celtic have regulary played 4 or 5 Scottish players in their line up during their 9iar. I used to complain about the lack of Scottish players back in Martin o neills era but credit where its due in recent years celtic have played Scottish players, Armstrong, Griffiths, brown, mcgregor, Tierney, Taylor, Turnbull, christie are just some of the guys in recent years. Has any other club provided as many first team Scotland players than celtic. 

Its not celtics first priority to provide Scotland with players and its not their main priority to develop Scottish players. They are looking to win leagues and titles with whatever nationalities they can. 

Duffy might be dung but he's got far more experience than some untested youngster who has hardly played pro football. It would be mental to throw in some untested Scottish youngster when they are struggling for experience in other positions. Celtic were in a position where they had to play their first team players where ever they could to make up for the lack of experience guys like Harper and Welsh have. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Celtic have regulary played 4 or 5 Scottish players in their line up during their 9iar. I used to complain about the lack of Scottish players back in Martin o neills era but credit where its due in recent years celtic have played Scottish players, Armstrong, Griffiths, brown, mcgregor, Tierney, Taylor, Turnbull, christie are just some of the guys in recent years. Has any other club provided as many first team Scotland players than celtic. 

Its not celtics first priority to provide Scotland with players and its not their main priority to develop Scottish players. They are looking to win leagues and titles with whatever nationalities they can. 

Duffy might be dung but he's got far more experience than some untested youngster who has hardly played pro football. It would be mental to throw in some untested Scottish youngster when they are struggling for experience in other positions. Celtic were in a position where they had to play their first team players where ever they could to make up for the lack of experience guys like Harper and Welsh have. 

Celtic were in a position to play scottish players because they had no challenge, the goal posts have now shifted. Celtic are being challenged, in fact they are not being challenged, they are being beaten by their bitter rivals. 

Armstrong - Dundee United

Griffiths - Livingston

Brown - Hibs

McGregor - Celtic

Tierney - Celtic

Taylor - Killmarnock

Turnbull - Motherwell

Christie - ICT

Celtic did not produce all of the above players, they bought them from other clubs. I am well aware It is not celtic's priority to develop scottish players, what point are you making?

Duffy being a first team player doesn;t mean he should play before a youngster, if Duffy is playing horse shit, you leave him out. Its not mental to drop someone who is playing shite. 

27 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Celtic were in a position to play scottish players because they had no challenge, the goal posts have now shifted. Celtic are being challenged, in fact they are not being challenged, they are being beaten by their bitter rivals. 

Armstrong - Dundee United

Griffiths - Livingston

Brown - Hibs

McGregor - Celtic

Tierney - Celtic

Taylor - Killmarnock

Turnbull - Motherwell

Christie - ICT

Celtic did not produce all of the above players, they bought them from other clubs. I am well aware It is not celtic's priority to develop scottish players, what point are you making?

Duffy being a first team player doesn;t mean he should play before a youngster, if Duffy is playing horse shit, you leave him out. Its not mental to drop someone who is playing shite. 

Then why are you pissed off? It's not celtics priority to develop Scottish players. Last night they played three Scottish Young players and over the last 9 years they have given plenty of Scottish players a chance to play. What did you want them to do? What would you have been happy with? 5 young Scottish players? If dembele and Harper were included then it would be 5. Let's face it dembele really should be playing for us. 

Duffy played last night because celtic needed experience on the pitch due to so many first team players being out. Throwing in some Guy who's never played pro football over a guy who's got years of epl experience is laughable. 

Sorry buddy but your deluded if you think celtic are going to play a full team of untested Scottish youngsters when they have first team players available and are trying to claw back a deficit. 

Edited by mccaughey85

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Then why are you pissed off? It's not celtics priority to develop Scottish players. Last night they played three Scottish Young players and over the last 9 years they have given plenty of Scottish players a chance to play. What did you want them to do? What would you have been happy with? 5 young Scottish players? If dembele and Harper were included then it would be 5. Let's face it dembele really should be playing for us. 

Duffy played last night because celtic needed experience on the pitch due to so many first team players being out. Throwing in some Guy who's never played pro football over a guy who's got years of epl experience is laughable. 

Sorry buddy but your deluded if you think celtic are going to play a full team of untested Scottish youngsters when they have first team players available and are trying to claw back a deficit. 

I'm not pissed off

I am wondering if you aren't reading what I write or if you are forgetting what you wrote yourself.  I have zero expectations of Celtic when it comes to youth development. I know they played a lot of youngsters over the last 8 years but as I already said that was because they had no challenge. 

Duffy's experience is being shite, really shite. Playing in the EPL does not mean he is good enough. A young player could flourish or be just as shite as Duffy. You won't know till said youngster plays. 

Your last sentence is laughable because I never came close to saying or even thinking that. 

Just now, ErsatzThistle said:

David Turnbull has got to be in the next squad. A beautiful footballer. 

Youd expect Turnbull & Gauld to put guys like McLean & Paterson under a lot of pressure for their place.

The guys who got us to the Euros deserve so much credit but I don’t think there’s many of us who wouldn’t want to see Turnbull, Gauld & Gilmour in our next squad - we will probably pick a large squad as it’s 3 games and covid etc etc... 

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm not pissed off

I am wondering if you aren't reading what I write or if you are forgetting what you wrote yourself.  I have zero expectations of Celtic when it comes to youth development. I know they played a lot of youngsters over the last 8 years but as I already said that was because they had no challenge. 

Duffy's experience is being shite, really shite. Playing in the EPL does not mean he is good enough. A young player could flourish or be just as shite as Duffy. You won't know till said youngster plays. 

Your last sentence is laughable because I never came close to saying or even thinking that. 

Lol then what are we arguing about? 

Most of the centre backs in the spl are shite. Doesn't mean teams will throw an untested kid from their youth set up. 

4 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Youd expect Turnbull & Gauld to put guys like McLean & Paterson under a lot of pressure for their place.

The guys who got us to the Euros deserve so much credit but I don’t think there’s many of us who wouldn’t want to see Turnbull, Gauld & Gilmour in our next squad - we will probably pick a large squad as it’s 3 games and covid etc etc... 

Aye, the large squad should work in their favour. Kevin Nisbet is another player who deserves a shot.

At least Clarke knew when he had to ditch Mulgrew for the good of the team. So I trust he does know that McBurnie, Burke and Paterson's days are likely numbered.

Turnbull is the one we have to get involved as soon as possible. He's got what so many others haven't. We might also start scoring from direct free kicks a bit more often !