Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 41 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

On 12/30/2020 at 8:54 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

I think we're all agreed that Turnbull must be in the first senior team squad named next year.

Paterson and McBurnie have to be dropped. 

I'd also drop Burke. I really don't understand what some people see in this guy.

This 100%. Gauld would be my choice to take his place; tactically astute, pacy and skilful with a goal threat.

On 12/30/2020 at 8:54 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

I think we're all agreed that Turnbull must be in the first senior team squad named next year.

Paterson and McBurnie have to be dropped. 

I'd also drop Burke. I really don't understand what some people see in this guy.

This 100%. Gauld would be my choice to take his place; tactically astute, pacy and skilful with a goal threat.

Edited by Third Lanark
double post

For all intents and purposes, Jack is undroppable. Aside from McRorie and Graeme Shinnie, he's the only anchorman we have. We play with two anchorman in our current system, but i'd like Steve Clarke to give the second anchornan (who is playing alongside Jack) license to roam forward as it'll give us more attacking options.

Gauld has been of the best players in the Portuguese Primeira Liga this season. He should definitely be in contention for the next few squads.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Not sure why so many folk here have a downer on Ryan Jack.  Alongside Mcginn, I would have him as our most effective player in recent games.  

Not really trying to put him down but the midfield talent we have is strong and Ryan Jack is by no means undroppable. 

21 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

At the minute, he's the best we have for that position. Who else would you have? 

McTominey or McGinn in my opinion are both better in midfield than Jack. Of course that would mean shuffling around players in other positions. Obviously someone to play right/CB and someone to play attacking midfield. You could easily switch McGregor and McGinn within the same formation, regardless if Jack is or isn’t the 3rd midfielder. 
You could put Turnbull in McGinns position and have McTominey and McGinn as the other 2. To be honest though I wouldn’t be to bothered if Clarke kept most of the squad in their present positions for the Euros as a reward for getting there. But afterwards and with other players hopefully stepping up their performance and consistency levels, I’d imagine Jack, MaGregor will need to fight for their positions. I do believe we have better quality within the squad or close to joining the squad.  

18 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Turnbull, Gilmour, McGinn and Mctominay are all far superior players to Jack. Any of them could 'screen' the defence effectively...to say he is undroppable is utterly bonkers.

McTominay is playing CB. Can't see him being moved.

Turnbull - forgive if I am wrong but his strengths aren't his defensive work.

Gilmour - being the anchor would be a waste

McGinn - ok. I still think Jack is a better defensive midfielder.

All just my opinions.

'Undropable' isn't the same as amazing or world beating. 

29 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

McTominay is playing CB. Can't see him being moved.

Turnbull - forgive if I am wrong but his strengths aren't his defensive work.

Gilmour - being the anchor would be a waste

McGinn - ok. I still think Jack is a better defensive midfielder.

All just my opinions.

'Undropable' isn't the same as amazing or world beating. 

Mctominay is wasted at the back, even Clarke knows this.

Turnbull is as good in a defensive capacity as he is in attacking one, with a work ethic to match.

Gilmour, while possibly more suited to further forward, would still be a better option than Jack in that defensive role.

McGinn has played that role before and is a far superior player to Jack.

I understand it's your opinion, I just cannae believe that anyone would be of the opinion, that if you have 3 central midfield positions available, out of the talent we have, 1 MUST go to Ryan Jack.

Our central midfield options:

McTominay: Box-to-box

Gilmour: No one knows yet.

Turnbull: Box-to-box/Attacking midfield/second striker

Christie: Attacking midfield/second striker

McGregor: Box-to-box/Attacking midfield/second striker

Fleck: Box-to-box.

Ryan Jack is our only specialized anchorman who is playing well both at home and in Europe. 

We also have Graeme Shinnie and Ross McRorie as back up.

I want to see the double-pivot, with Jack and another, probably McTominay. With Jack being the more disciplined one of the two and his partner given license to roam forward.

15 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Our central midfield options:

McTominay: Box-to-box

Gilmour: No one knows yet.

Turnbull: Box-to-box/Attacking midfield/second striker

Christie: Attacking midfield/second striker

McGregor: Box-to-box/Attacking midfield/second striker

Fleck: Box-to-box.

Ryan Jack is our only specialized anchorman who is playing well both at home and in Europe. 

We also have Graeme Shinnie and Ross McRorie as back up.

I want to see the double-pivot, with Jack and another, probably McTominay. With Jack being the more disciplined one of the two and his partner given license to roam forward.

You forgot to mention McGinn, who is playing well in a similar role for Villa. For minimal disruption to the squad, I’d be tempted to swap Macgregor and McGinn around, I think it would work fine, i prefer MacGregor in a more attacking role, and I think McGinn would be better than him in the heart of the midfield. 
Now whether you want to change (attacking midfield) MacGregor for Turnbull is another possibility.

The positive is we are beginning to see competition in the middle of the park, and with the likes of McCrorie, Gilmour, Lewis Ferguson possibly Allan Campbell (perhaps eventually Kyle Magennis too), and at some point McTominey. There’s going to be options and cover for the foreseeable future.

4 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

You forgot to mention McGinn, who is playing well in a similar role for Villa. For minimal disruption to the squad, I’d be tempted to swap Macgregor and McGinn around, I think it would work fine, i prefer MacGregor in a more attacking role, and I think McGinn would be better than him in the heart of the midfield. 
Now whether you want to change (attacking midfield) MacGregor for Turnbull is another possibility.

The positive is we are beginning to see competition in the middle of the park, and with the likes of McCrorie, Gilmour, Lewis Ferguson possibly Allan Campbell (perhaps eventually Kyle Magennis too), and at some point McTominey. There’s going to be options and cover for the foreseeable future.

So I did.

McGinn: Box-to-box/attacking midfielder/second striker.

Jack is unstoppable, for the reason that Dykes is undroppable, they're the best we have for their specialized positions.

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

So I did.

McGinn: Box-to-box/attacking midfielder/second striker.

Jack is unstoppable, for the reason that Dykes is undroppable, they're the best we have for their specialized positions.

Kenny McLean is another I’d forgot to mention. I think the best 2 in the middle of the park, at this moment in time (without moving McTominey) is McGinn and Jack

Then you can play MacGregor or Turnbull, Christie or Armstrong ahead of them also the possibility of Gauld joining in the squad to compete/cover for the position. 
Obviously this is near-term thinking, if/once Gilmour begins to play regularly and performs at the level we hope he can, it may well mean a shuffling of the pack again. 
Also when McTominey is moved back into midfield again that will force a reevaluation of the personnel in midfield. 

2 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I doubt that Steve Clarke, or even Jack himself, sees him as undroppable...but we have wallopers on this board determined to prove that he is.

If you think Mctominay couldn't do the same defensive midfield job that Jack does for us, you are massively over-thinking and over-complicating the role.

I am slightly regretting saying 'undropable' as it seems to have been misconstrued. 

I agree McTominay could do a good job but there are no signs that Clarke will move him from CB. I'm not even of fan of him playing there.

I guess you have a list of these possible midfielders: Gilmour, McGregor, Turnbull, Forrest, Jack, Armstrong, Christie, and McGinn. If you arranged them in order of quality then Jack wouldn't make the team. But I just feel we need a good defensive midfielder in front of a makeshift back three. Jack's the best at that.

50 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I am slightly regretting saying 'undropable' as it seems to have been misconstrued. 

I agree McTominay could do a good job but there are no signs that Clarke will move him from CB. I'm not even of fan of him playing there.

I guess you have a list of these possible midfielders: Gilmour, McGregor, Turnbull, Forrest, Jack, Armstrong, Christie, and McGinn. If you arranged them in order of quality then Jack wouldn't make the team. But I just feel we need a good defensive midfielder in front of a makeshift back three. Jack's the best at that.

I'm a fan of the guy, always have been even when he was at Aberdeen. The undroppable bit was what got me to be honest as I've no real qualms about him being included in the squad or starting line ups in general. Long term, I think McGinn, McTominay or Gilmour will have to take up the defensive midfield role, as I reckon that will be our long term midfield 3, but throw Turnbull into the mix if he can get a good move, then who knows.