Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 40 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Sounds promising, league 1 isn't the best standard but he's only 19 so if he can score plenty of goals this season he might get a move to a better club. Wigan are struggling big time by the looks of it. 

It isn't a great standard, but we capped a striker playing in the Scottish Championship not so long ago, and at 19 he's definitely worth keeping an eye on, I reckon. 

7 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Ye he’s injured his groin.  

Jeezo, I know there are a lot of good looking lassies in Newcastle but someone should tell him to calm his jets, he's got a career to think about!

I think we're all agreed that Turnbull must be in the first senior team squad named next year.

Paterson and McBurnie have to be dropped. 

I'd also drop Burke. I really don't understand what some people see in this guy.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

28 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I think we're all agreed that Turnbull must be in the first senior team squad named next year.

I'd also drop Burke. I really don't understand what some people see in this guy.

Can't see Clarke dropping mcburnie. Maybe Clarke will drop fleck. 

56 minutes ago, scotlad said:

It isn't a great standard, but we capped a striker playing in the Scottish Championship not so long ago, and at 19 he's definitely worth keeping an eye on, I reckon. 

Jeezo, I know there are a lot of good looking lassies in Newcastle but someone should tell him to calm his jets, he's got a career to think about!

His hatrick was excellent and he scored a great goal v Sunderland a few weeks ago. Guy might turn into the great messiah striker we all hope for. 

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Or another Jordan Rhodes. 

In other news Tom McIntyre got another MoM playing as left back for Reading. Don't suppose he's two footed 

Tbf to Kyle Joseph, scoring a hatrick at the age of nineteen in what is a very physical league full of cloggers is not a bad achievement. We should keep our eye on him.

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I don’t think that is cut and dried.  He has struggled to get in to a poor Celtic team until recently.  If he keeps his place, and his current form then yes, should be under consideration.  I’m assuming he would be looking at competing for the John Mcginn position...  lots of competition for that.

15 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I don’t think that is cut and dried.  He has struggled to get in to a poor Celtic team until recently.  If he keeps his place, and his current form then yes, should be under consideration.  I’m assuming he would be looking at competing for the John Mcginn position...  lots of competition for that.

Incorrect as usual.

Turnbull was initially left out of the Celtic team not because of lack of talent. Neil Lennon simply couldn't bring himself to drop his best mate (Scott Brown) from the starting line up.

In the last month or so, faced with changing things around or losing his job, Lennon brought Turnbull into the team. As a result, Turnbull has been a significant factor in Celtic's improving form.

Of course I forgot that you don't ever like to see Celtic players called up for Scotland:rollsmile:

23 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I can see Mginn playing deeper for us in the future

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Incorrect as usual.

Turnbull was initially left out of the Celtic team not because of lack of talent. Neil Lennon simply couldn't bring himself to drop his best mate (Scott Brown) from the starting line up.

In the last month or so, faced with changing things around or losing his job, Lennon brought Turnbull into the team. As a result, Turnbull has been a significant factor in Celtic's improving form.

Of course I forgot that you don't ever like to see Celtic players called up for Scotland:rollsmile:

so it’s all Neil’s fault is it? 😂😂  

As I say, let’s wait and see.  Maybe my standards are higher than yours but playing a few good games in the SPL does not make him a Scotland player.  I have no problem with Celtic players being picked if the are doing it in Europe or continuously in Scotland,  Hopefully he will get a move in the summer to a bigger club in a bigger league, other than that I would be looking for him to be a standout for Celtic over a sustained period of time.

9 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Indeed. The very fact we call it “the John McGinn” position suggests Turnbull, at best, would be second choice for that slot.

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Or another Jordan Rhodes. 

In other news Tom McIntyre got another MoM playing as left back for Reading. Don't suppose he's two footed 

Jordan Rhodes when he was in top form was either ignored (by Levein but mainly Strachan) or when picked, usually asked to perform as a sole striker. We could have got so much more out of him when he was confident and in his pomp if we played him to his strengths. 

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

so it’s all Neil’s fault is it? 😂😂  

As I say, let’s wait and see.  Maybe my standards are higher than yours but playing a few good games in the SPL does not make him a Scotland player.  I have no problem with Celtic players being picked if the are doing it in Europe or continuously in Scotland,  Hopefully he will get a move in the summer to a bigger club in a bigger league, other than that I would be looking for him to be a standout for Celtic over a sustained period of time.

To be fair to him he was excellent in his final season at Motherwell too. His scoring stats alone were remarkable - I can't remember exactly how many he scored but it was well into double figures, which is impressive for a midfielder.  If we didn't have so many options in midfield I think he'd already have made his international debut.

I agree, though, it can be hard to gauge whether he's up to playing international football from games against the likes of Dundee United and Hamilton, but there's only one way to find out for sure.

13 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I can see Mginn playing deeper for us in the future

Looking at the starting 11s of the past few games, what pIayers are replaceable? As well as McGregor and Jack have played, they aren't undroppable. Where as McGinn is. Long term, I think we need to be playing him deeper because 1. We need to accommodate other attacking players and 2. We need to play him somewhere, so why not his natural position?

Ideally McTominay would be alongside him in midfield, but where would Gilmour fit in? We have a wonderful dillemma on our hands.

Personally, I think Turnbull will end up being 1 of the first names on the teamsheet in the next few years. Celtic have got an absolute bargain.

Edited by Tartan blood

5 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

Jordan Rhodes when he was in top form was either ignored (by Levein but mainly Strachan) or when picked, usually asked to perform as a sole striker. We could have got so much more out of him when he was confident and in his pomp if we played him to his strengths. 

He was brilliant in league one, scored a lot of penalties for Blackburn in the championship and was dumped as soon as the EPL beckoned.Since the he has been a bit part player in the Championship. 

He never came close to our hopes. 

It's ignorant to look at goals scored collums and decide that is the way to judge a striker, leave that to their managers. 

Edited by ceudmilefailte

27 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Looking at the starting 11s of the past few games, what pIayers are replaceable? As well as McGregor and Jack have played, they aren't undroppable. Where as McGinn is. Long term, I think we need to be playing him deeper because 1. We need to accommodate other attacking players and 2. We need to play him somewhere, so why not his natural position?

Ideally McTominay would be alongside him in midfield, but where would Gilmour fit in? We have a wonderful dillemma on our hands.

Personally, I think Turnbull will end up being 1 of the first names on the teamsheet in the next few years. Celtic have got an absolute bargain.

Spot on

18 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He was brilliant in league one, scored a lot of penalties for Blackburn in the championship and was dumped as soon as the EPL beckoned.Since the he has been a bit part player in the Championship. 

He never came close to our hopes. 

It's ignorant to look at goals scored collums and decide that is the way to judge a striker, leave that to there managers. 

he scored 39 goals in season 11/12 when in League 1. He then proceeded to score 29 goals for his club when in the Championship in season 12/13, of which just 5 were penalties. In 13/14 he scored 25 goals of which just 4 were penalties. In 14/15 (again still in Championship), he scored 21 goals, 2 of which were penalties. in 15/16, he scored 17 goals and just one was a penalty. Therefore your point about him scoring a lot of penalties in an attempt to suggest that inflated his scoring ability or stats is absolute drivel. 

You say he never came to close to our hopes and I suggested this was because he wasn't played to his strengths. He may not have set the top league on fire but as a top Championship striker for 5 seasons or so, he was more than good enough to meet our needs at the time if we hadn't had such a pig headed manager who quickly put players in to "rate" and "don't rate" categories for a host of bizarre reasons including height/genetics, ability to defend corners, and the league they played in. 

I do concede though that we did have a decent selection of strikers at that time in Naismith, Fletcher, Miller (until 2013), McCormack, Griffiths and Snodgrass which may have impacted on Rhodes' appearances but the point still stands that we didn't try, or very rarely tried, to get the best out of him in terms of formations and striking partners. 

I have no idea what you mean by managers only being able to judge a striker.....

It's a fallacy that a player has to be scoring at the very top level of football in order to be international class. Look at David Healy, all his English club goals (barring 4) were scored in the old First Division and Chanpionship.

Didn't stop him scoring 36 goals for Northern Ireland.

All of our strikers in the past 18 years have been affected by our insistence of copying current trend and playing with a sole striker.

Our strikers, (like our center backs who haven't been good enough to play in a back four since the 80s) simply haven't been good enough to play at international level as a sole striker.

It's not their fault, though, as the gap between them and the midfield was always the size of an ocean. They were continuously forced to feed on hopeful and hopeless balls.

Miller, Boyd, Naismith, S.Fletcher, Rhodes, etc, have all suffered through our previous managers obsession with playing one up front. We aren't Spain, so why the hell where we copying their system?!

Edited by Taylor1996

From 2010 -  The score rate of Rhodes was fantastic, sadly our team couldn't accommodate him to his strengths, in my opinion, we could use him now but getting him on the pitch would be difficult when we have players like John McGinn, Ryan Fraser and Ryan Christie who play that attacking midfield spot great for us - and add in Turnbull.  We would need to play 2 up front to get the best of Rhodes so if you built the team around him it works but we would be weaker in other places.   

1 hour ago, Return of Yermaw said:

he scored 39 goals in season 11/12 when in League 1. He then proceeded to score 29 goals for his club when in the Championship in season 12/13, of which just 5 were penalties. In 13/14 he scored 25 goals of which just 4 were penalties. In 14/15 (again still in Championship), he scored 21 goals, 2 of which were penalties. in 15/16, he scored 17 goals and just one was a penalty. Therefore your point about him scoring a lot of penalties in an attempt to suggest that inflated his scoring ability or stats is absolute drivel. 

You say he never came to close to our hopes and I suggested this was because he wasn't played to his strengths. He may not have set the top league on fire but as a top Championship striker for 5 seasons or so, he was more than good enough to meet our needs at the time if we hadn't had such a pig headed manager who quickly put players in to "rate" and "don't rate" categories for a host of bizarre reasons including height/genetics, ability to defend corners, and the league they played in. 

I do concede though that we did have a decent selection of strikers at that time in Naismith, Fletcher, Miller (until 2013), McCormack, Griffiths and Snodgrass which may have impacted on Rhodes' appearances but the point still stands that we didn't try, or very rarely tried, to get the best out of him in terms of formations and striking partners. 

I have no idea what you mean by managers only being able to judge a striker.....

Apologies, I honestly thought he had scored a lot more penalties than that. 

Regards the manager comment, his club manager and our manager didn't think he was good enough to play at the highest level a bit like Kris Boyd . Rangers often dropped him when up against decent opposition. 

Strikers do have to contribute defensively at the highest level. 

23 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Apologies, I honestly thought he had scored a lot more penalties than that. 

Regards the manager comment, his club manager and our manager didn't think he was good enough to play at the highest level a bit like Kris Boyd . Rangers often dropped him when up against decent opposition. 

Strikers do have to contribute defensively at the highest level. 

ideally we would have at least one striker or centre forward playing for a top European side, eg Liverpool, Bayern, juventus etc.  If we want to be in with a shout of regular tournament qualification and pushing to get out our group once there.

20 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I think McGinn is dropable. They all are now. Assuming we are sticking with formation I think you have Jack  in front of the defence alongside one of McGinn/Gilmour/McGregor. (Jack's actually undropable at the minute*). I'd love Gilmour in asap as the man bringing it forward.

Then slightly more advanced you have a choice of Christie/Fraser/Turnbull/Forrest/Armstrong.

Don't know how the hell Clarke works that one out. And that's without including McTominay.

*I'm not saying he's amazing, just that he's the only true defensive midfielder.

59 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I think McGinn is dropable. They all are now. Assuming we are sticking with formation I think you have Jack  in front of the defence alongside one of McGinn/Gilmour/McGregor. (Jack's actually undropable at the minute*). I'd love Gilmour in asap as the man bringing it forward.

Then slightly more advanced you have a choice of Christie/Fraser/Turnbull/Forrest/Armstrong.

Don't know how the hell Clarke works that one out. And that's without including McTominay.

*I'm not saying he's amazing, just that he's the only true defensive midfielder.

Mental...absolutely mental