Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 38 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Turnbull...yes. Gauld I have my doubts. Who gets dropped?

About the only way I can see to get the likes of Gauld and probably Turnball into the squad are to play McGinn in the same position he plays for his club.

With McTominay also playing as a deep midfielder for his club there really isn't much point in having all three of McLean, Jack and McGregor in the squad.

Having said that we could just pick 2 strikers or 3 max.

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think there’s plenty of room for Gauld in the next squads for the WC qualifiers. 

I would definitely have Gauld, Gilmour and Turnbull in the next squad. Don't think McLean and Paterson will make many more squads. That's no criticism of them, it's just that we are experiencing a step-up in quality.

17 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I would definitely have Gauld, Gilmour and Turnbull in the next squad. Don't think McLean and Paterson will make many more squads. That's no criticism of them, it's just that we are experiencing a step-up in quality.

I think you're right. Our standards are rising, and will continue to do so over the next year or so. (With the exception of a couple of positions)

It wasn't too long ago that we were scraping the barrel for a decent enough first 11, now Clarke has some really difficult decisions on who to exclude from the squad even just in March, nevermind a 23 man Euros squad.

29 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

There’s also fleck who has been in previous squads but is playing for a team rock bottom. We should be moving on from those sort of players. 

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

McGinn given MOTM tonight by the co commentator playing the box to box role. 

I wouldn’t say he was playing a box-box role primarily. He did make some forward runs from the deep midfield starting position. But I wouldn’t really classify his role as predominantly box-box. I think his recent role for Villa highlights his versatility and he is becoming an overall very good midfielder with a number of “strings to his bow”

I think you can call up as many as you like but match day squads I believe it is limited to 23.  I imagine, Clarke will call up large squads for the remainder of our pre-Euro matches regardless of triple headers and Covid so he can spend as much time with the squad as possible. 

7 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I think you can call up as many as you like but match day squads I believe it is limited to 23.  I imagine, Clarke will call up large squads for the remainder of our pre-Euro matches regardless of triple headers and Covid so he can spend as much time with the squad as possible. 

Pre-Euro matches are World Cup qualifiers. Fuck the Euros! For the time being. 

17 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Pre-Euro matches are World Cup qualifiers. Fuck the Euros! For the time being. 

You can only have a 23 man match day squad, I'm saying in the call ups, bring in 28 people, just to have some coaching time with some of these maybe's like Gauld and if the impressing in training bring them into the match day squads for the qualifiers - Give yourself the option. 

51 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

You can only have a 23 man match day squad, I'm saying in the call ups, bring in 28 people, just to have some coaching time with some of these maybe's like Gauld and if the impressing in training bring them into the match day squads for the qualifiers - Give yourself the option. 

23 for the Euros, but you can have more for the WC qualifiers. No better way to select the final Euro squad than having 3 massive games beforehand. 

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

23 for the Euros, but you can have more for the WC qualifiers. No better way to select the final Euro squad than having 3 massive games beforehand. 

There will also be 2 or 3 pre tournament friendlies with probably a squad of about 30-33 being utilised before picking the final 23 for the tournament. 

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

Naismith first half hat trick. Has the euros have come too late for him....

he is a clever player and has always done well for Scotland., However I think his international days are behind him. In saying that if I was to chose between Naismith or McBurnie to come off the bench and try and get us a goal, I would pick Naismith any day of the week. 

1 minute ago, Return of Yermaw said:

he is a clever player and has always done well for Scotland., However I think his international days are behind him. In saying that if I was to chose between Naismith or McBurnie to come off the bench and try and get us a goal, I would pick Naismith any day of the week. 

Agree with everything there. 

Don’t buy into the thinking McBurnie should get a place just through turning up and effort.

Nisbet is miles ahead of McBurnie for me. 

5 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I know.

I only judge him for what he's done for us, which isn't much, I grant you.

As for Naismith, there's no reason why he shouldn't be in contention. I'd trust him more than the likes of McBurnie and Shankland.

Or Paterson or Burke.

Dykes is probably crap at QPR as the formation doesn't suit. But we need a Dykes or McBurnie type to make ours work.