Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 34 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

13 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

that would be great.  Ideally we get to a position where we have competition for places.

Competition is good. It does also depend on us getting our back line sorted out, well centre halves, if we are to move McTominey into midfield. Some mentioned Hanley or Hendry. Who are probably both better defenders than McTominey but I think it would detract from our distribution from defence. One thing that McTominey brings when playing Right/Centre half is his passing / distribution 

With regard to McTominey and McGinn and their respective roles, I’m sure that two players of such quality could work it out amongst themselves who sits deep and who goes forward during the game. They can both do it so adjust as the game plays out. 

Edited by Scot1

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Would Jack get a game for Villa, Chelsea or Man Utd?

He is a different player to mctominay, Mcginn and Gilmour.   Mctominay and particularly gilmour don’t get regular games for their teams.  I’m terms of importance to Scotland I would only put Mcginn ahead of jack from those mentioned.

25 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

He is a different player to mctominay, Mcginn and Gilmour.   Mctominay and particularly gilmour don’t get regular games for their teams.  I’m terms of importance to Scotland I would only put Mcginn ahead of jack from those mentioned.

I'll take that as a 'no'...he wouldn't even make it onto either teams bench.

Mctominay is a far superior player to Jack, while Gilmour looks like he could be the best we have produced in generations. 

Great performance by mctominay, hopefully keeps the haters off his back. One minute he's great next he's terrible according to the fans on message forums. Man utd starting to look strong and mctominay can be part of that going forward. Let's hope he follows up this performance with more great games. 

Only negative to that game was Leeds look very open at the back which doesn't reflect well on Cooper. I reckon they will probably look to upgrade the centre back position in the future if they stay up. 

Edited by mccaughey85

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Great performance by mctominay, hopefully keeps the haters off his back. One minute he's great next he's terrible according to the fans on message forums. Man utd starting to look strong and mctominay can be part of that going forward. Let's hope he follows up this performance with more great games. 

Only negative to that game was Leeds look very open at the back which doesn't reflect well on Cooper. I reckon they will probably look to upgrade the centre back position in the future if they stay up. 

Was fantastic yesterday absolutely brilliant midfield performance, it had everything. Just shows that when let of the leash a little he can be a great attacking threat also. Always thought there were goals in him, he should be allowed to play box to box for Scotland in my opinion. Him and McGinn can easily alternate box to box and have Jack or Gilmour sitting behind them. 

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Leeds style of play is going to leave them very open at the back, the goals against collum doesn't reflect on Coopers ability. 

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Leeds style of play is going to leave them very open at the back, the goals against collum doesn't reflect on Coopers ability. 

Agreed, the Leeds defence was left wide open time and time again. The game was won in Midfield, Leeds always play man for man all over the pitch and United's Midfielders won their personal battles snapped into tackles won the ball and produced quick turnarounds

Was beaming watching it. I've felt for a while he was playing within himself and that yesterday will I'm sure give him the confidence to do it regularly.  I agree jack at moment is our best cdm but also gilmours Potential is unbelievable  and a midfield 2 of him and mctominay could be amazing. We will just need to wait and see I suppose. 

5 hours ago, bazmidd said:

Was fantastic yesterday absolutely brilliant midfield performance, it had everything. Just shows that when let of the leash a little he can be a great attacking threat also. Always thought there were goals in him, he should be allowed to play box to box for Scotland in my opinion. Him and McGinn can easily alternate box to box and have Jack or Gilmour sitting behind them. 

I don’t see Gilmour the same way you do. In my mind I want Gilmour in possession, controlling the tempo of the game in the middle 1/3 and the opposition half. I want him using his brain and mobility to be constantly probing and searching for weakness/opportunities to exploit in their halve of the pitch. That would mean someone sitting behind him in front of the defence. Early days but it will be interesting to see his role at club and international level as he matures over the next few years.

Edited by Scot1

17 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Competition is good. It does also depend on us getting our back line sorted out, well centre halves, if we are to move McTominey into midfield. Some mentioned Hanley or Hendry. Who are probably both better defenders than McTominey but I think it would detract from our distribution from defence. One thing that McTominey brings when playing Right/Centre half is his passing / distribution 

As regards distribution from defence don't forget that we still have Tierney and that was why the three at the back was adopted in the first place. 

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

As regards distribution from defence don't forget that we still have Tierney and that was why the three at the back was adopted in the first place. 

Indeed but from the right centre/half position we will miss his passing and runs forward into space. Don’t get me wrong I want McTominey in midfield. It may just take some time until we can get our back line sorted. I wouldn’t think about changing the shape until after the Euros

3 hours ago, Scot1 said:

I don’t see Gilmour the same way you do. In my mind I want Gilmour in possession, controlling the tempo of the game in the middle 1/3 and the opposition half. I want him using his brain and mobility to be constantly probing and searching for weakness/opportunities to exploit in their halve of the pitch. That would mean someone sitting behind him in front of the defence. Early days but it will be interesting to see his role at club and international level as he matures over the next few years.

If you were playing a 3 of him McGinn and McTominay, for him to move further forward you would have to drop McGinn or McTominay for Jack. McGinn isn't a holding Midfielder and certainly not a player who will receive the ball from defence and dictate play. I wouldn't pigeon hole Gilmour, I think he can play anywhere in Midfield but so far Chelsea see him as a deep lying playmaker and right now we have a position available there as a replacement for McGregor in the two in front of our defence beside Jack. My preference though would be to also push McTominay into Midfield instead of Jack and let Gilmour sit a little deeper so McTominay can go box to box...

either.           Jack.     

Gilmour.              McGinn.                 

Or.                 McTominay.     Gilmour.                                                  McGinn       

31 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

If you were playing a 3 of him McGinn and McTominay, for him to move further forward you would have to drop McGinn or McTominay for Jack. McGinn isn't a holding Midfielder and certainly not a player who will receive the ball from defence and dictate play. I wouldn't pigeon hole Gilmour, I think he can play anywhere in Midfield but so far Chelsea see him as a deep lying playmaker and right now we have a position available there as a replacement for McGregor in the two in front of our defence beside Jack. My preference though would be to also push McTominay into Midfield instead of Jack and let Gilmour sit a little deeper so McTominay can go box to box...

either.           Jack.     

Gilmour.              McGinn.                 

Or.                 McTominay.     Gilmour.                                                  McGinn       

I disagree, McGinn is playing a deep sitting holding role for Villa in a 4-2-3-1 and seems to be playing very well there. Both McTominey and McGinn are in my view better than Jack in the holding role and I’d rather have either one of them in the team over Jack. To be honest though I think that McTominey, McGinn and Gilmour are very versatile. They can all sit deep, they can all go forward. Obviously Gilmour is the man you want on the ball controlling the tempo of play, but McGinn and McTominey can do that at a good level too. 
If you were to play those three in midfield for a number of games and let them build up an understanding with each other, I think their starting positions within the formation wouldn’t matter much. I believe they’d compliment each other so well it would come naturally/organically. Who would hold, when. Who goes forward, who drops back etc.  Basically I’d imagine McGinn and McTominey switching positions throughout a match with Gilmour roaming.

I do think that Clarke should start to include Gilmour in future squads, regardless if he is getting playing time for Chelsea. Get him in the squad even if he’s not going to be playing, just to start training with McGinn, MCTominey etc

1 hour ago, Scot1 said:

I disagree, McGinn is playing a deep sitting holding role for Villa in a 4-2-3-1 and seems to be playing very well there. Both McTominey and McGinn are in my view better than Jack in the holding role and I’d rather have either one of them in the team over Jack. To be honest though I think that McTominey, McGinn and Gilmour are very versatile. They can all sit deep, they can all go forward. Obviously Gilmour is the man you want on the ball controlling the tempo of play, but McGinn and McTominey can do that at a good level too. 
If you were to play those three in midfield for a number of games and let them build up an understanding with each other, I think their starting positions within the formation wouldn’t matter much. I believe they’d compliment each other so well it would come naturally/organically. Who would hold, when. Who goes forward, who drops back etc.  Basically I’d imagine McGinn and McTominey switching positions throughout a match with Gilmour roaming.

I think we’d all like to see this. As far as the Euros are concerned, we may still need the experienced heads such as Jack and McGregor. The former, especially, does things off the ball that win games and the younger players may not have learned these lessons yet. Clarke will know where they’re at.