Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 25 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Highlight reel of Gilmours performance last night. Some nice skills and touches in there especially his little back heel in the second half. Hopefully Chelsea bring back their big guns and leave Gilmour in the team as I think Gilmour could really make Chelsea tick. 

Another thing about Gilmour that we haven’t seen at Chelsea first team level as yet, is that he is an excellent finisher from the edge of the box - passes it into the corner generally. 

1 minute 9 secs in. That feint was years ahead of his age. His positional awareness is world class.

The only thing I think he needs to work on is his tracking back. He seems to jog back alot of the time as long as the opposition player still has a defender beside him however when he plays against top teams the opposition players are more than capable of beating a man so he needs to get himself back so that he can then make the tackle.

40 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

1 minute 9 secs in. That feint was years ahead of his age. His positional awareness is world class.

The only thing I think he needs to work on is his tracking back. He seems to jog back alot of the time as long as the opposition player still has a defender beside him however when he plays against top teams the opposition players are more than capable of beating a man so he needs to get himself back so that he can then make the tackle.

He also needs to bulk up and make himself harder to knock off the ball as well. That will come I'd hope as his body naturally fills out. However, he has already shown he has an eye for neat and cutting passes, body feints and lovely ball skills. It is time we start integrating him into the Scotland team.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He also needs to bulk up and make himself harder to knock off the ball as well. That will come I'd hope as his body naturally fills out. However, he has already shown he has an eye for neat and cutting passes, body feints and lovely ball skills. It is time we start integrating him into the Scotland team.

I think hes defo going to be in the march squads and as we have seen before with three games in succession we will rotate alot of players so there's a good chance he might make his debut. 

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Players of that age need to be careful about bulking up. It will happen gradually in the next two or three years with some but not too much work. 

20 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Dare I say it but Gilmour has a lot of better players to pass to at Chelsea.

Yeh he definitely does but we are putting together a decent wee team that could be a golden generation by our standards. Gilmour, mctom, Tierney, robertson, Mcginn, christie and fraser are genuinely talented players who are all 26 and under. Maybe not Chelsea standards but could be a good team with those guys mixed with hard working pros. 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh he definitely does but we are putting together a decent wee team that could be a golden generation by our standards. Gilmour, mctom, Tierney, robertson, Mcginn, christie and fraser are genuinely talented players who are all 26 and under. Maybe not Chelsea standards but could be a good team with those guys mixed with hard working pros. 

Upfront is still a major problem for us and probably still will be come March and the euros.

if Gilmour is getting game time, then we need to call him up for the squad in March.  We play Israel away, and I truly believe we have seen the best of Israel but they have not seen the best of us. We can beat them but I will settle for a draw in that game.  Nisbet, Gilmour, potentially Gauld and Lewis Morgan should be getting a close look for sure in my book.  

I think Johnny Russell wont ever get a game for us again, he always turned up and was decent but we have better players now.  

13 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Just read that Tony Gallacher has been playing in the MLS on loan from Liverpool this season - had no idea about that and his loan has just expired 

Another bloody left back, Must be a fashionable thing to have a Scottish left back Feyenoord even stuck Johnston out there. 

Edited by ceudmilefailte

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Another bloody left back, Must be a fashionable thing to have a Scottish left back Feyenoord even stuck Johnston out there. 

It’s bizarre isn’t it. 

Most of our top drawer left backs seem to be able to play elsewhere also thankfully! 

A team with 4 left backs shoehorned into it would be ridiculous though. 

On 12/8/2020 at 1:35 PM, Super_Scotlandfan said:

The last squad was way too heavy on defenders and centre forwards. 

could easily do: 

Taylor to Hickey

Considine to Gilmour

Burke to Morgan

Paterson to Gauld 

Shankland to Nisbet

This would be more balanced than the last squad and we’d be adding more talented players. 

Morgan would be a push, MLS as we all know isn't the best.
Clarke has his favs and Paterson is one of them and Shankland seems to be too, wouldn't bank of any of these changes

On 12/8/2020 at 1:38 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh I would be happy with that apart from Morgan for burke. Also James forrest and fraser were out the last squad so they have to be fitted in plus the size of squads might be only 23 so that creates havoc if that's the case. 

Nobody HAS to be fitted in. Forrest is fucking shite and Fraser has a lot to prove.

10 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Highlight reel of Gilmours performance last night. Some nice skills and touches in there especially his little back heel in the second half. Hopefully Chelsea bring back their big guns and leave Gilmour in the team as I think Gilmour could really make Chelsea tick. 

Some good stuff there but also some just normal passes that everyone could do. Clip could be cut to about 1 min 30
He has a lot of talent and is hopefully going to get a run but let's not get too excited yet, we have seen it all before and then the player disappears. I do think he looks better than most though.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Christie has been terrible as of late, the likes of him and Mcgregor shouldn't bank on getting in the squad, if I was picking now I'd be inclined to drop both as they are rank at club level too just now.

7 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Clarke has his favs and Paterson is one of them and Shankland seems to be too, wouldn't bank of any of these changes

Nobody HAS to be fitted in. Forrest is fucking shite and Fraser has a lot to prove.

Some good stuff there but also some just normal passes that everyone could do. Clip could be cut to about 1 min 30
He has a lot of talent and is hopefully going to get a run but let's not get too excited yet, we have seen it all before and then the player disappears. I do think he looks better than most though.

Christie has been terrible as of late, the likes of him and Mcgregor shouldn't bank on getting in the squad, if I was picking now I'd be inclined to drop both as they are rank at club level too just now.

Lol so thats it, let's leave out fraser, Forrest, Gilmour, Morgan, christie, mcgregor. You do realise we need 23 or more players for our euro squad. Can't go there with 11 players and 2 subs. 

Leaving out christie is one I never thought I would hear. 

Regarding Gilmour I agree, he was motm for Chelsea but they were pretty poor and alot of the stuff he does in that clip is pretty basic stuff you would expect from a midfielder. He does look quite talented but if he isn't going to get alot of gametime then I would happy see him go out on loan. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol so thats it, let's leave out fraser, Forrest, Gilmour, Morgan, christie, mcgregor. You do realise we need 23 or more players for our euro squad. Can't go there with 11 players and 2 subs. 

Leaving out christie is one I never thought I would hear. 

Regarding Gilmour I agree, he was motm for Chelsea but they were pretty poor and alot of the stuff he does in that clip is pretty basic stuff you would expect from a midfielder. He does look quite talented but if he isn't going to get alot of gametime then I would happy see him go out on loan. 

I'd leave forrest out regardless. Christie and Mcgregor on current form too. Fraser im still not convinced, if he didnt dive so much he would probably do a bit more too. He's got talent but has a lot to prove from now until the Euros, although a bit like Clarkes other favs I think he will go anyway. 
I wasn't saying no as most of those changes are probably sensible enough, just wouldn't count on Clarke dropping guys he likes. 
Christie can be great but also way over does it at times and much like the other celtic players is just shite at the moment.

If Gilmour is playing most weeks and playing well then he will get in I'd imagine, was more just that clip could be cut a bit haha.

Interesting few months ahead.

38 minutes ago, Kirk said:

How many 19 year olds have we “seen it all before with” in terms of three man of the match awards for a team of Chelsea’s standing and in the competitions Gilmour’s done it in?

10 hours ago, Kirk said:

It’s every touch in the game. Not a selection of Hollywood passes. 

Tom Cairney in The Athletic saying he’s keen to get back involved... maybe a few years ago when we needed him, however, he always seemed to pull out. Wouldn’t improve the team in my opinion. 

Cairney’s focus is on Fulham’s top-flight status but he has not ruled out other playing targets. Scotland’s qualification for the European Championship next summer presents an opportunity for the twice-capped midfielder, who was born in Nottingham but qualifies through his father, and he is eager to stake his claim. But he acknowledges the difficulty of removing the incumbents after they did so well to reach the finals via two single-game play-offs that both went to penalties.

“They have done incredibly to qualify for the Euros,” he says. “It would be amazing if I could make that squad, and get the chance to play in the Euros. There aren’t many players that have the chance to do that. It’s one of the biggest stages, behind a World Cup. It would be incredible, but they’ve done so well with the squad they have to qualify, so we’ll see.”

9 minutes ago, cc87 said:

Tom Cairney in The Athletic saying he’s keen to get back involved... maybe a few years ago when we needed him, however, he always seemed to pull out. Wouldn’t improve the team in my opinion. 

Cairney’s focus is on Fulham’s top-flight status but he has not ruled out other playing targets. Scotland’s qualification for the European Championship next summer presents an opportunity for the twice-capped midfielder, who was born in Nottingham but qualifies through his father, and he is eager to stake his claim. But he acknowledges the difficulty of removing the incumbents after they did so well to reach the finals via two single-game play-offs that both went to penalties.

“They have done incredibly to qualify for the Euros,” he says. “It would be amazing if I could make that squad, and get the chance to play in the Euros. There aren’t many players that have the chance to do that. It’s one of the biggest stages, behind a World Cup. It would be incredible, but they’ve done so well with the squad they have to qualify, so we’ll see.”

Ha absolute chancer, doesn’t say anything about playing for Scotland, just about playing in the euros. He’s another that can f*** off and join the others like Matt Ritchie, Souttar and Boyle.

2 minutes ago, JECK said:

Ha absolute chancer, doesn’t say anything about playing for Scotland, just about playing in the euros. He’s another that can f*** off and join the others like Matt Ritchie, Souttar and Boyle.

Tbf he did play for us years ago. Not sure why he hasn't been involved in recent years, always assumed he just wasn't selected due to us having better options. If thats the case then it's unfair to lump him in with Ritchie or Souttar. 

37 minutes ago, cc87 said:

They??