Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 24 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If Gilmour carries on getting games and playing like he is tonight it's a very very easy straight swap.

They pretty well do the same job but Gilmour has already shown he can do it at a far higher level.

Big fan of Kenny McLean and he's a very decent player but it looks like we have found better.

Thought he played ok tonight but I wouldn't say he was a standout. I can see him getting into future squads but not at the expense of mclean. I think mclean will stay in the squad due to scoring the two pens that secured our place. 

9 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Thought he played ok tonight but I wouldn't say he was a standout. I can see him getting into future squads but not at the expense of mclean. I think mclean will stay in the squad due to scoring the two pens that secured our place. 

Gilmour caught the eye more than any other player for me. Not a double blind trial certainly, but any real flare seemed to come from him. He was generally steady throughout. Probably not even fully match sharp. 

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Gilmour caught the eye more than any other player for me. Not a double blind trial certainly, but any real flare seemed to come from him. He was generally steady throughout. Probably not even fully match sharp. 

Tbf I didn't think Chelsea as a whole were particularly very good. They lacked cutting edge. Gilmour looked decent and did some nice passes and touches. Hopefully Lampard gives him more chances. 

28 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I can see him getting into future squads but not at the expense of mclean. I think mclean will stay in the squad due to scoring the two pens that secured our place. 

Is Kenny McLean sookin on your boaby? 🤔😂😂 

I don't think you have had a post today that you didn't mention him...👍🤔

Unfortunately, I don't think he will make squad due to his injury..

Edited by Archiesdad

Just now, Archiesdad said:

Is Kenny McLean sookin on your baby? 🤔😂😂 

I don't think you have had a post today that you didn't mention him...👍🤔

Unfortunately, I don't think he will make squad due to his injury..

Baby? 

Nah not quite, I ain't even much of a fan of his, I just think Clarke will pick him for the squad. 

39 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If Gilmour carries on getting games and playing like he is tonight it's a very very easy straight swap.

They pretty well do the same job but Gilmour has already shown he can do it at a far higher level.

Big fan of Kenny McLean and he's a very decent player but it looks like we have found better.

Yeah definitely. McLean is a fine squad player as and when but Gilmour is a couple of classes above and will surely be in the triple header squad in March. 

Chelsea forums have Gilmour as the stand-out in an overall average team performance.

Will be interesting how much game time he gets and if he does get a run in the side then should be a definite pick for the March games. 

As an aside, I’m really surprised that Havertz has struggled to settle in as he looked absolute class for Leverkusen.

I wouldn't take any notice of Man United fans and their opinions.

I've never known a group of fans (at least, online) who are so negative about their own players.

If you want an accurate assessment of a United player's performance, it must be by your own eyes.

Barring Bruno and maybe Rashford and Greenwood, Scott McTominay was the best United player.

Man United fans don't seem to grasp the concept that McTominay can't cover for a lacklustre Matic, Wan-Bissaka and Telles in midfield. No player could.

Edited by Taylor1996

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

McLean wasn’t even playing for Norwich before the injury though

Still think Clarke would pick him once he returns from injury at Xmas but if Gilmour can get a run of games and others stay injury free then obviously come March he could certainly force himself into the squad at the expense of someone from the last triple header. 

4 hours ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Clarke shows loyalty to his squads so reckon others will still have some way to go to dislodge those that got us into the Euros. McLean looks like he may now be back in January. 

What are you basing this on? I'm not saying he isn't loyal to the players that turn up for him, but he has shown in every squad he's willing to callup wildcards and throw them in.

Barring omitting the guys that play overseas (due to covid) I don't think Clarke has made any loyalty based decisions that I disagreed with. Therefore, I have no reason to believe he'd leave out any player that is deserving. 

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

He definitely will be in the next squad and it may well be at the expense of McLean 

Clarke is smart enough to know what is required now. He has managed to shore us up in defence and now needs to look at ways of making us more potent in attack. The one glaring solution there is Billy Gilmour and it isn't rocket science. At the age of 19 he is already more than holding his own at Champions League level and has starred against the best teams in the EPL. We have no other midfielder around at the moment that ticks those boxes.

10 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

From reading the man utd forums mctominay was poor tonight. Sabitzer was excellent apparently. 

None of the United players were up to much but McTominay was one of the few actually trying to get involved in the game after they went 2-0 down. He certainly wasn't horrendous or worryingly bad.

1 hour ago, wee-toon-red said:

None of the United players were up to much but McTominay was one of the few actually trying to get involved in the game after they went 2-0 down. He certainly wasn't horrendous or worryingly bad.

He never will be, he’s a top player. So much gets read into players being on the bench for a game or what the prawn sandwich brigade put on a forum. 

McTominay, Gilmour and McGinn are not only outstanding talents, they have a rare tenacity and determination about their game. They’ve got a sharpness and bite to what they do on the pitch and it could be a great thing for us. 

16 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

So you would leave out Palmer or o donnell for Hickey? 

Do you think Clarke will leave out mclean assuming he's playing for Norwich regularly?

I think the manager picks his best starting 11 and then 2 sub gks. That then leaves him with 10 spaces. You then need to start thinking about who covers for who. Ie if Robertson gets injured then Tierney would play lwb so we can save a space by not having another lwb in the squad.

Im sure will have missed somebody but my best team atm would be:

Marshall, Robertson, Tierney, Gallagher, McTom, ODonnell, Jack, McGinn, Christie, Fraiser, Dykes

That would leave 2 from Gordon, McLauglin and a young GK

Hanley, Mckenna and Cooper (CB)

Either Palmer or Hickey (RB)

McGreggor, Armstrong and either McLean or Gilmour (CM)

Forrest (CAM) 

McBurnie and Griffiths (CF)

That squad would have cover for every position and some flexibility with a couple of players who can play in more than 1 position.

On the basis that McLean is injured, wasnt playing for Norwich prior to getting injured and that Gilmour "looks like" he will be lightyears ahead of Championship level, I think Gimlour goes and McLean doesnt. The only thing that goes in McLeans favour is that he is more defensive minded so may get in instead of Armstrong.