Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 22 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

5 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

It was.

It's a shame that clubs reverted to form and thought of themselves, as opposed to the greater good. 

Yep, it was another missed opportunity, thankfully a lot of our good, young players are heading out of Scotland to learn and play the game. 

10 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Yep, it was another missed opportunity, thankfully a lot of our good, young players are heading out of Scotland to learn and play the game. 

After Brexit EPL sides aren't going to be able to  sign EU players before they're 18 either which  will have a massive impact on their academies - they'll need to completely refocus on homegrown talent moving forward.     

Watched Stoke v Wycombe last week and noticed Jack Grimmer was playing right back for them.  Didn’t rip up any trees but didn’t look out of his depth and felt absolutely ancient when found out he was 26 – given our dearth of options there though one to keep an eye on if he gets a regular game in the Championship / a move to a better team. 

During the Victory Shield him and Islam Feruz looked like they’d a real chance of playing top level but Grimmer looks at his level and Feruz looks like he’s totally disappeared altogether. 

It’s weird as well because just presumed if players were good enough at under 16’s a lot of them would go on to have decent careers but even the England side from 2011 has only one name easily recognised:

Scotland Ryan Fulton (Liverpool), Kyle Hogg (Hibs), Ryan Sinammon (Rangers), Jordan McGhee (Hearts), Greg Pacazio (Rangers), Liam Henderson (Celtic), Paul McMullan (Celtic), Tom Walsh (Rangers), Daniel Stoney (Rangers), Craig Storie (Aberdeen), Calum Waters (Celtic)

England Angus Gunn (Manchester City), Ola Aina (Chelsea), Ashley Smith-Brown (Man City), Bryn Morris (Middlesborough), Kodi-Lyons Foster (Tottenham), Niall Heaton (Liverpool), Reise Allassani (Crystal Palace), Charlie Colkett (Chelsea), Mason Bennett (Derby County), Jordan Brown (Arsenal)

8 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Gauld has the most passes leading to a shot in the entire division. And that's from a team that averages 35% possession. 

Gauld should be in the World Cup qualifiers squad. He and the rest of the players will have 3 games to compete for a place at the Euros. Hopefully this ensures good results in the process. 

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Gauld should be in the World Cup qualifiers squad. He and the rest of the players will have 3 games to compete for a place at the Euros. Hopefully this ensures good results in the process. 

Gunna be a hard decision for Clarke to decide who will be in the squad. If guys like Gauld and Gilmour are pushing for a spot who gets left out? 

45 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Gunna be a hard decision for Clarke to decide who will be in the squad. If guys like Gauld and Gilmour are pushing for a spot who gets left out? 

Kenny McLean, Greg Taylor, one of the shite right backs, Lawrence Shankland, Andy Considine...will be the ones looking over their shoulder I'd have thought 

7 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Hickey in for Taylor perhaps.

Unless Taylor starts getting game tome for Celtic he is the most vulnerable, he did come on a t half time on Sunday. Makes sense to bring in Hickey as he can cover left back and he is acutely aware that his big chance is at right back. 

10 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Unless Taylor starts getting game tome for Celtic he is the most vulnerable, he did come on a t half time on Sunday. Makes sense to bring in Hickey as he can cover left back and he is acutely aware that his big chance is at right back. 

Nisbet in for Shankland would also make sense. 

41 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Kenny McLean, Greg Taylor, one of the shite right backs, Lawrence Shankland, Andy Considine...will be the ones looking over their shoulder I'd have thought 

Kenny mcleans not getting dropped, he scored both the winning pens and is a Clarke favourite.

Can't just drop a right back for centre midfielders either. We need 2 players to cover that position.

If mctominay and Tierney are being classed as centre backs then maybe considine could be left out.

Greg Taylor I would imagine would be a player that might have to be cut for either Gauld or Gilmour. Paterson is another who might have to make way as well.

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Kenny mcleans not getting dropped, he scored both the winning pens and is a Clarke favourite.

Can't just drop a right back for centre midfielders either. We need 2 players to cover that position.

If mctominay and Tierney are being classed as centre backs then maybe considine could be left out.

Greg Taylor I would imagine would be a player that might have to be cut for either Gauld or Gilmour. Paterson is another who might have to make way as well.

Sentiment should be right out the window...is Gilmour a better player than McLean? If 'aye', then sorry Kenny.

I'd drop either Palmer or SOD and also Taylor and take Hickey.

Considine should be left out because he isnae very good

2 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Sentiment should be right out the window...is Gilmour a better player than McLean? If 'aye', then sorry Kenny.

I'd drop either Palmer or SOD and also Taylor and take Hickey.

Considine should be left out because he isnae very good

Yeh either way Clarke won't drop mclean so it's pointless suggesting he does. 

Until we know Hickey can play right back for sure he won't drop SOD or Palmer. Can't go into a tournament with only 1 proper rb/rwb. (Paterson doesn't count imo). 

Considine did OK in the games he played but I agree that he's probably one of the most likely to get cut. 

Taylor will defo be a player that could get cut. Sadly for him we have 2 top class players in his position and if Gilmour is playing regularly for Chelsea then theres no way we can leave him out.

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Mmmm🤔 he's injured ,out till March. So unlikely to be in team for March w/c games

McLean will then be outside trying to get into team. Who will we drop for him? 

I don't know why you think he is a favourite. He's not first choice , when did he start for Clark? 

I'm not being anti McLean here, just anti your logic .. he's a good and reliable player, we do have better .

No room for sentiment. Clarke doesn't care about it( he didn't play Boyd on his last game for Killie, due to the fact killie had to win. No sentiment. )

Form players will be picked.

I think McLean's injury makes his shirt hang on the shoogly of shoogliest pegs.

Just now, Archiesdad said:

Mmmm🤔 he's injured ,out till March. So unlikely to be in team for March w/c games

McLean will then be outside trying to get into team. Who will we drop for him? 

I don't know why you think he is a favourite. He's not first choice , when did he start for Clark? 

I'm not being anti McLean here, just anti your logic .. he's a good and reliable player, we do have better .

No room for sentiment. Clarke doesn't care about it( he didn't play Boyd on his last game for Killie, due to the fact killie had to win. No sentiment. )

Form players will be picked.

I think McLean's injury makes his shirt hang on the shoogly of shoogliest pegs.

Yeh Tbf I think this injury could hamper his chances a little but if he's back playing regularly before the euros then I can't see Clarke dropping a guy who scored our winning pens to get us there. 

26 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Until we know Hickey can play right back for sure he won't drop SOD or Palmer. Can't go into a tournament with only 1 proper rb/rwb. (Paterson doesn't count imo). 

Considine did OK in the games he played but I agree that he's probably one of the most likely to get cut. 

Taylor will defo be a player that could get cut. Sadly for him we have 2 top class players in his position and if Gilmour is playing regularly for Chelsea then theres no way we can leave him out.

I think you're also forgetting that our last squad was 27 players...we are only allowed to take 23 to the euros.

The players I mentioned are definitely ones who a case could be made for leaving at home.

Tierney can cover right back, as could Hickey, Jack and Paterson...there is no way I'd take both SOD and Palmer.

If Clarke takes McLean because he scored in penalty shoot outs, then hell mend him. If he takes him because he is the best available then fair enough

25 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I think you're also forgetting that our last squad was 27 players...we are only allowed to take 23 to the euros.

The players I mentioned are definitely ones who a case could be made for leaving at home.

Tierney can cover right back, as could Hickey, Jack and Paterson...there is no way I'd take both SOD and Palmer.

If Clarke takes McLean because he scored in penalty shoot outs, then hell mend him. If he takes him because he is the best available then fair enough

Tierney isn't a right back and the other three aren't really right backs either. I can't see Clarke choosing to drop either o donnell or Palmer. You would be dropping them and relying on guys playing a position none of them are any good at. 

Tbh I am not a massive fan of mclean but could you honestly imagine Clarke not picking a guy who stepped up under monster pressure to score the two pens that put us to our first major tournament in 22 years. It wouldn't bother me but I can't see Clarke doing that to mclean assuming he's back playing regularly for Norwich. 

Also could we be looking at a larger squad for this euros or will everyone be vaccinated by that point.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

The last squad was way too heavy on defenders and centre forwards. 

could easily do: 

Taylor to Hickey

Considine to Gilmour

Burke to Morgan

Paterson to Gauld 

Shankland to Nisbet

This would be more balanced than the last squad and we’d be adding more talented players. 

2 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

The last squad was way too heavy on defenders and centre forwards. 

could easily do: 

Taylor to Hickey

Considine to Gilmour

Burke to Morgan

Paterson to Gauld 

Shankland to Nisbet

This would be more balanced than the last squad and we’d be adding more talented players. 

Yeh I would be happy with that apart from Morgan for burke. Also James forrest and fraser were out the last squad so they have to be fitted in plus the size of squads might be only 23 so that creates havoc if that's the case. 

It's not creating havoc, its giving the manager decisions to make, something we havent had for years...its a great position to be in.

Going back to the right back thing...both Palmer and SOD are pretty poor by international standards, I'm not having it at all that someone like Tierney or Jack couldn't adequately cover that position if we only took one of our right backs. 

If it's a 23man squad I'd go;

Marshall

Gordon

And a younger back up, like McRorie

ODonnell

Hickey

Tierney

Robertson 

Cooper

Gallagher

McKenna

Hanley

Gilmour

McGinn

Mctominay 

Christie

McGregor

Jack

Forrest

Fraser

Burke

Dykes

Griffiths

McBurnie

3 keepers

4 full backs

4 centre backs

6 central midfielders 

3 wide players/supporting striker

3 strikers.

A young keeper as there is no point taking McLaughlin along with the other two old guys, and it would be good experience for Kelly or McCrorie

Hickey, Tierney, Jack...all potentially capable of covering should anything happen to ODonnell because he really is our weakest link anyway.

4 centre backs maybe isn't enough when you play a 3 at the back, but Mctominay and Tierney are also options there and actually probable starters there.

Midfield 6 and forward 6 is pretty straightforward 

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

The world cup qualifier squads will be bigger. If players stand out in those three games then they should be in the Euro squad. It will be a tough decision, certainly.

5 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

It's not creating havoc, its giving the manager decisions to make, something we havent had for years...its a great position to be in.

Going back to the right back thing...both Palmer and SOD are pretty poor by international standards, I'm not having it at all that someone like Tierney or Jack couldn't adequately cover that position if we only took one of our right backs. 

If it's a 23man squad I'd go;

Marshall

Gordon

And a younger back up, like McRorie

ODonnell

Hickey

Tierney

Robertson 

Cooper

Gallagher

McKenna

Hanley

Gilmour

McGinn

Mctominay 

Christie

McGregor

Jack

Forrest

Fraser

Burke

Dykes

Griffiths

McBurnie

3 keepers

4 full backs

4 centre backs

6 central midfielders 

3 wide players/supporting striker

3 strikers.

A young keeper as there is no point taking McLaughlin along with the other two old guys, and it would be good experience for Kelly or McCrorie

Hickey, Tierney, Jack...all potentially capable of covering should anything happen to ODonnell because he really is our weakest link anyway.

4 centre backs maybe isn't enough when you play a 3 at the back, but Mctominay and Tierney are also options there and actually probable starters there.

Midfield 6 and forward 6 is pretty straightforward 

Armstrong would be in for me, maybe remove a centre half as McTominay can also play there.  Gauld for Burke or McBurnie depending on form.