Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 20 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

A bit early for that I would have thought. He’s only been fit for about a fortnight. 

Just depends on whether hes going to play much this season. Hes got stiff competition and if Chelsea look like they might challenge for the title then they won't be risking games by playing an inexperienced 19 year old. A lower epl club or even a decent championship club where he will play every week would be beneficial to his development rather than sitting on the Chelsea bench every week. 

Of course there will be some on here who think he's too good for that or that he will learn more training with Chelseas stars but imo the best development for a young player is to play first team football even if its with a lesser team. 

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Just depends on whether hes going to play much this season. Hes got stiff competition and if Chelsea look like they might challenge for the title then they won't be risking games by playing an inexperienced 19 year old. A lower epl club or even a decent championship club where he will play every week would be beneficial to his development rather than sitting on the Chelsea bench every week. 

Of course there will be some on here who think he's too good for that or that he will learn more training with Chelseas stars but imo the best development for a young player is to play first team football even if its with a lesser team. 

If he's the player many folk think he is (apparently including his manager) he won't be a "risk" when he's put into the team. He proved last season he can star against big teams so Lampard won't be afraid to use him.

17 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

If he's the player many folk think he is (apparently including his manager) he won't be a "risk" when he's put into the team. He proved last season he can star against big teams so Lampard won't be afraid to use him.

I genuinely believe that Gilmour is ahead of Jorginho in Lampard’s plans. Just a case of getting him back up to speed.

2 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

I genuinely believe that Gilmour is ahead of Jorginho in Lampard’s plans. Just a case of getting him back up to speed.

It's silly I know but I get giddily excited thinking about how good Chelsea were last night and the fact that he's so highly rated.

Not wanting to knock McGregor but I think it's his place at risk in the starting XI. Jack and Gilmour in front of the back 3? Jack to break it up and Gilmour to create from there.  That leaves Christie/mcGinn/Fraser/Forrest fighting it out for final 2 places?

7 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

It's silly I know but I get giddily excited thinking about how good Chelsea were last night and the fact that he's so highly rated.

Not wanting to knock McGregor but I think it's his place at risk in the starting XI. Jack and Gilmour in front of the back 3? Jack to break it up and Gilmour to create from there.  That leaves Christie/mcGinn/Fraser/Forrest fighting it out for final 2 places?

Macgregor can play further forward too, in fact I’d rather have him further forward if he’s playing and someone with better defensive qualities behind him with Jack. Hopefully Gilmour is that man.

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Plenty top teams play teenagers on a regular basis if they are good enough.

I think when people mention loan m

I am one of the people against top class prospects taking loan deals but there is a big difference between a loan move to lower EPL or top Championship clubs and some of the other moves suggested on here.

I would say the only loan move that is any use is one that will get you to play against top class or potentially top class players(championship) on a regular basis.

I doubt if you think any of our young players moving abroad to top clubs would be better of playing full time football in the SPL, it's just a matter of were you draw the line and at the moment IMO Chelsea is the best place for a prospect like Gilmour.

10 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Macgregor can play further forward too, in fact I’d rather have him further forward if he’s playing and someone with better defensive qualities behind him with Jack. Hopefully Gilmour is that man.

Would really like us to sort out the defense so that McTominay and Gilmour could be our deep playing midfielders.

I really think people are getting a bit carried away as to how good Jack is.

5 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

He got in last season as Kante was injured for a period of time just before lockdown so think that's the main thing to look out for although Kante's been back to his best this season.

Very intriguing re Gilmour and the next few weeks/months. Normally I’d probs be sceptical of his chances as we’ve all seen it before but the way lampard speaks about him I have feeling he’s going to play him, unlikely every game granted. Then he has to perform obviously - from his limited appearances last season I can’t see why not.  And then hopefully Clarke has a decision to make come in the spring/summer.

5 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Plenty top teams play teenagers on a regular basis if they are good enough.

I think when people mention loan m

I am one of the people against top class prospects taking loan deals but there is a big difference between a loan move to lower EPL or top Championship clubs and some of the other moves suggested on here.

I would say the only loan move that is any use is one that will get you to play against top class or potentially top class players(championship) on a regular basis.

I doubt if you think any of our young players moving abroad to top clubs would be better of playing full time football in the SPL, it's just a matter of were you draw the line and at the moment IMO Chelsea is the best place for a prospect like Gilmour.

In most cases I would prefer our young players play spl football than go to big European clubs and play in their youth teams. I don't understand the excitement over young Scottish players moving to big clubs. Our young players never make it at big clubs. Only 1 in about 15 years has broken through properly at a big club(mctominay). 

In the case of Gilmour if he starts getting gametime regularly then he should stay at chelsea but if he's only playing a handful of games between now and the end of season then a loan move would be far more beneficial. We seem to be getting over excited by Gilmour considering he's only played 11 times for Chelsea. 

Lampard might talk up Gilmour but we will see how much he rates him by how much he plays him this season. 

48 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

In most cases I would prefer our young players play spl football than go to big European clubs and play in their youth teams. I don't understand the excitement over young Scottish players moving to big clubs. Our young players never make it at big clubs. Only 1 in about 15 years has broken through properly at a big club(mctominay). 

In the case of Gilmour if he starts getting gametime regularly then he should stay at chelsea but if he's only playing a handful of games between now and the end of season then a loan move would be far more beneficial. We seem to be getting over excited by Gilmour considering he's only played 11 times for Chelsea. 

Lampard might talk up Gilmour but we will see how much he rates him by how much he plays him this season. 

Yawn!

People are excited because they’ve seen the boy play and as a kid he is light years ahead of anything we have produced in a long long time. Look at his touch and movement off the ball. His swagger and attitude. A joy to watch. Yes he’s young and he’ll probably make some mistakes while he’s learning but I don’t mind making a bold prediction that this guy will be lighting up the champions league and international stage for years to come.

Edited by breeks_mctavish

16 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Yawn!

People are excited because they’ve seen the boy play and as a kid he is light years ahead of anything we have produced in a long long time. Look at his touch and movement off the ball. His swagger and attitude. A joy to watch. Yes he’s young and he’ll probably make some mistakes while he’s learning but I don’t mind making a bold prediction that this guy will be lighting up the champions league and international stage for years to come.

I actually mostly agree with you but building him up as our messiah is not a good idea. He looks a real talent but so do many young players who then end up playing lower league football. Burke looked great when he first went to rb leipzig but then faded badly after that. Gauld looked excellent and was billed as mini Messi by idiots in Scotland. Just try and not build Gilmour into a superstar before he actually becomes a Chelsea first team regular. He's played 11 times and I am pretty sure most of those appearances have been as a sub so let's not get carried away quite yet. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

I actually mostly agree with you but building him up as our messiah is not a good idea. He looks a real talent but so do many young players who then end up playing lower league football. Burke looked great when he first went to rb leipzig but then faded badly after that. Gauld looked excellent and was billed as mini Messi by idiots in Scotland. Just try and not build Gilmour into a superstar before he actually becomes a Chelsea first team regular. He's played 11 times and I am pretty sure most of those appearances have been as a sub so let's not get carried away quite yet. 

Question is were Burkes and Gauld's moves mistakes. Would they have been any better had they stayed were they were and if so how much better. Would the peak of getting held back have ended up as high as the peak if the moves had worked. 

6 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Question is were Burkes and Gauld's moves mistakes. Would they have been any better had they stayed were they were and if so how much better. Would the peak of getting held back have ended up as high as the peak if the moves had worked. 

I don't think gauld or burke should of turned down their big moves. They both went abroad knowing they would be in around the first team squads. Especially burke. My point regarding those 2 was that we got excited over them too early and they have struggled to reach the levels we hoped for. Let's wait til Gilmour becomes a first team regular before we start the hype train. 

19 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

16 year old Scottish CB Ben Nelson made the bench for Leicester tonight.

19 year old Aaron Pressley made his debut for Brentford on Tuesday. Came on the last few minutes up front. Son of Stephen Pressley.

W

19 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

16 year old Scottish CB Ben Nelson made the bench for Leicester tonight.

19 year old Aaron Pressley made his debut for Brentford on Tuesday. Came on the last few minutes up front. Son of Stephen Pressley

I've always liked to look out for our young players breaking through at good levels & i wasn't aware previously of these 2 so cheers for the info. 

The online Man United fans are as inconsistent as their team.

Either McTominay gives a world class performance, the next he's given the worst performance since Manchester United were established.

I have a soft spot for Man United, growing up they were swashbuckling and they had Cantona, Giggs, Keane, etc, but I have to admit, a section of their fans are clueless. 

Every successful team has a player like McTominay. Liverpool have Henderson, who is not as good as McTominay. The difference? Liverpool have a world class manager. If Klopp was United manager, they'd be top of the league.

2 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Hickey starting in San Siro tonight, Gilmour not in Chelsea squad. 

Hickey played on the left of the middle four in a 3-4-3 formation. Subbed on the hour and had an absolute stinker according to WhoScored.com

I know it's just a rating site but it has Hanley(excellent again today) a mile better than McKenna.