Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 18 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Agreed but even they weren't prolific as far as international standards go. McCoist (19). Archibald (4), McAvennie (1), McInally (3), Nicholas (5), Johnston (14) and McClair (2). And that just shows how far behind we have been for so long in unearthing true international class strikers.

Was about to post the same stats before you did. Jesus we really are a terrible nation for being blinded by nostalgia, quoting fashionable names that ultimately weren't actually that good for Scotland.

14 minutes ago, todd said:

Was about to post the same stats before you did. Jesus we really are a terrible nation for being blinded by nostalgia, quoting fashionable names that ultimately weren't actually that good for Scotland.

Tbf it wasn't nostalgia regarding Scotland and I wasn't actually old enough to watch the guys I listed. I was just stating that on paper we had talented strikers but you are right in saying that they weren't particulary good for Scotland barring maybe mccoist who scored 1 in 3 which is decent. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbf it wasn't nostalgia regarding Scotland and I wasn't actually old enough to watch the guys I listed. I was just stating that on paper we had talented strikers but you are right in saying that they weren't particulary good for Scotland barring maybe mccoist who scored 1 in 3 which is decent. 

Maurice Johnston was a fantastic striker with an average of better than 1 in 3. Of all these players listed, Johnston was by far the best.

5 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

McLaughlin starts for Rangers

16 year old Leon King on the bench, along with Ciaran Dickson and Glen Middleton.

Patterson would've started if it wasn't for the U21 covid outbreak.

Sure about that? Looks a pretty strong lineup to me. No room for promoting youth. 

3 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Sure about that? Looks a pretty strong lineup to me. No room for promoting youth. 

He is our back up RB. He'd have started at Falkirk, like he did against Stranraer last season. 

There isn't a break until mid march from now, Tav will need rested here and there. Patterson will get minutes in that period.

34 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Last 20 for him - such an exciting prospect so it’s a very exciting moment for anyone who follows the age group national Squad matches 

He came on at right back and after a bit of a nervous start (understandable at 16 on a plastic pitch), played quite well. He put in a wonderful cross for Jermaine Defoe.

It was 18 year old Ciaran Dickson that really caught my eye though. He's not one that's always talked about compared to Kennedy, Kelly, Patterson, etc but Dickson has absolutely wonderful technique on the ball, looked very calm in possession and wasn't afraid to get stuck in out of it. I can see him going out on loan in January to the championship for some first team football. Definitely one to keep your eye on.

5 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

He came on at right back and after a bit of a nervous start (understandable at 16 on a plastic pitch), played quite well. He put in a wonderful cross for Jermaine Defoe.

It was 18 year old Ciaran Dickson that really caught my eye though. He's not one that's always talked about compared to Kennedy, Kelly, Patterson, etc but Dickson has absolutely wonderful technique on the ball, looked very calm in possession and wasn't afraid to get stuck in out of it. I can see him going out on loan in January to the championship for some first team football. Definitely one to keep your eye on.

Excellent & hopefully Gerrard is encouraged to keep giving youngsters more minutes now. 

49 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Yes, he was very impressive.