Scottish players in action 20/21 - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 20/21

romanticscot

19 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

😂😂😂.  I didn’t know that my own club had a heated rivalry with Aberdeen?  Certainly no more so than many other clubs  in Scotland.  You see you are wrong again- I don’t support the club you think.  I’m not upset about them being in the team, I just don’t think they will be there long term as they are average players and we have better in their positions. My original point, if you remember, was that the midfielders you trotted out are mostly playing in a diddy league and in the case of Aberdeen and Motherwell dont even the have european football having been put out by mediocre european teams.

maybe get down off your high horse, stop being so defensive and listen.

Your original point was telling everyone which leage the players play in and at which clubs? Not much of a point is it?

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I wouldnt say sporting lisbon are a mediocre team but each to their own.

Mediocre in european terms. Similar to Celtic, occasionally get to the group stages and usually lose matches there. Unlike Celtic they havent won their league in twenty years.  They are certainly not top tier.

the point I am making is  I would have a preference for players playing in the best teams against the best opposition.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Mediocre in european terms. Similar to Celtic, occasionally get to the group stages and usually lose matches there. Unlike Celtic they havent won their league in twenty years.  They are certainly not top tier.

the point I am making is  I would have a preference for players playing in the best teams against the best opposition.

I used to think the same but its not always that simple, we should have learned that from the last three games. We've beaten two team ranked above us with so called lesser quality players but some of those lesser quality players did very very well, Considine and Gallagher being the two main cases. 

Two points, which I can't be bothered going back and finding the posts they relate to:

1. Isn't Gallagher right footed? Could he be right centre back if/when we need McTominay in midfield?

2. Andy Considine isn't Aberdeen captain, Joe Lewis is.

13 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Then WTF are you so upset about Considine and Gallagher being in the team then ? They deserve to be there and did themselves and the country proud.

Just for the record, this has absolutely nothing to do with Considine being captain of Aberdeen whom your own club have a heated rivalry with and Gallagher having an Irish sounding name does it ? I rather suspect it does which is sad.

Away and fling shite at the moon, with that patter

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I used to think the same but its not always that simple, we should have learned that from the last three games. We've beaten two team ranked above us with so called lesser quality players but some of those lesser quality players did very very well, Considine and Gallagher being the two main cases. 

I agree with you on that.  When I made my original point I was saying that in general terms I would pick players playing at the highest level for each position.  However, there can be exceptions, where, for example, a player has a style that fits a particular way we play, or there is a club partnership where the pair are better than the sum of the parts.  Also where a player has say come back from a big team/league to scotland and has already proven themselves.  As I said Considine and Gallagher deserve to be under consideration.

If things keep going as they are Harry Souttar will end up in the EPL, with Stoke or without.

And we're stuck with the injury probe brother.

Typical.

Harry will regret not choosing us. His impatience got the better of him.

Regardless, it's a potentially big loss for us.

Edited by Taylor1996

45 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

If things keep going as they are Harry Souttar will end up in the EPL, with Stoke or without.

Typical.

I tend to agree with you but maybe no surprise he jumped ship. He was not getting picked for youth teams when he was playing at much higher level than some of these that were picked and same when it came to under 21s. I was always amazed that he was ignored for selection 

51 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Typical.

Aye he’ll be spewin when he keeps qualifying for World Cups with Australia. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Slight  injury I think, rest will do him good.

If he’s injured fair enough. I thought maybe Warburton was being an arse and trying to put him off international duty after his comments the other day. Probably unlikely. 

29 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

I tend to agree with you but maybe no surprise he jumped ship. He was not getting picked for youth teams when he was playing at much higher level than some of these that were picked and same when it came to under 21s. I was always amazed that he was ignored for selection 

It's a shame, as he's actually better than I thought. Certainly better than John. But yeah, it's astonishing that he was being ignored. It appears to be a theme at our youth teams, and it has to stop. James McCarthy was a loss, bit I think Souttar might be a greater loss

24 minutes ago, Marky said:

Aye he’ll be spewin when he keeps qualifying for World Cups with Australia. 

Regardless, we'll start qualifying soon enough.

Fingers crossed.

Edited by Taylor1996

11 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

It's a shame, as he's actually better than I thought. Certainly better than John. But yeah, it's astonishing that he was being ignored. It appears to be a theme at our youth teams, and it has to stop. James McCarthy was a loss, bit I think Souttar might be a greater loss

Fingers crossed.

I’m not sure he’s any better than his brother(although quite a bit taller!)  but John has had a horrendous time with injuries and might never be player he was destined to be. When John came into first team at United at 16, the word on the street was Harry was potentially better and that the two brothers would be the centre half partnership at the club within a few years and both were so highly regarded, both were expected to go onto great things. Could have been an international partnership?

Edited by GHfaeGTA

2 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

I’m not sure he’s any better than his brother(although quite a bit taller!)  but John has had a horrendous time with injuries and might never be player he was destined to be. When John came into first team at United at 16, the word on the street was Harry was potentially better and that the two brothers would be the centre half partnership at the club within a few years and both were so highly regarded, both were expected to go onto great things. Could have been an international partnership?

The way that Harry was talking it was like he was snubbed at Scotland, at all levels. Turns out that he played for the U17s and u19s

Just looked up John's age. Didn't realize he was 24. He's only played 160 odd matches in that time.

Do you think he'll be back or do you think he'll end up retiring early? If it's the latter, it'll be a shame. 

10 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

The way that Harry was talking it was like he was snubbed at Scotland, at all levels. Turns out that he played for the U17s and u19s

Just looked up John's age. Didn't realize he was 24. He's only played 160 odd matches in that time.

Do you think he'll be back or do you think he'll end up retiring early? If it's the latter, it'll be a shame. 

I do fear for John. I think he’s better than his brother. He looks to have the turn of pace and speed of reaction that I’m not convinced Harry has. John is the one obvious player that could excel at right centre half and allow McTominay to return to midfield. 

10 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I do fear for John. I think he’s better than his brother. He looks to have the turn of pace and speed of reaction that I’m not convinced Harry has. John is the one obvious player that could excel at right centre half and allow McTominay to return to midfield. 

Hopefully. The more options we have, the better. And yeah, McTominay moving into midfield would definitely be a positive. A swap with Souttar would be an easy transition.

There's a good article here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-souttar-opens-up-hearts-22490589.amp

When John does start playing again, hopefully, Hearts move to a back three, as it'll be good for all parties. First thing's first, he has to start playing again. I doubt he'll be rushed back. I get a suspicion that if he breaks down again, it could be curtains for him.

5 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Hopefully. The more options we have, the better. And yeah, McTominay moving into midfield would definitely be a positive. A swap with Souttar would be an easy transition.

There's a good article here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-souttar-opens-up-hearts-22490589.amp

When John does start playing again, hopefully, Hearts move to a back three, as it'll be good for all parties. First thing's first, he has to start playing again. I doubt he'll be rushed back. I get a suspicion that if he breaks down again, it could be curtains for him.

The thing is, the injuries he's had aren't actually career threating injuries. They are bad injuries and snapping your Achilles means you'll be out for a long time, but he should fully recover from it. It's just ridiculously bad luck to snap both in a short space of time! I hope he does recover and starts to move up the levels because before snapping his first Achilles he had just started playing for Scotland and was certain to push on at club level 

15 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Fingers crossed.

Whoscored.com  love him, 2 MoM appearances  and the highest rated player in the championship by far and that on a site biased towards goal scorers. Only 4 games mind you.