Scotland Players Who Proved You Wrong - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players Who Proved You Wrong

ErsatzThistle

On 10/17/2020 at 10:14 AM, Orraloon said:

Shaun Maloney? Squad player?????

He is 35th on the all time list, by number of caps. He played 47 times for Scotland (which is about 30 times too many IMO :lol: ). That's no my definition of a "squad player".

I meant more in essential starter over qualification campaigns like McGinn and McGregor are.

Just had a look back and think he only started v Faroes and one other game in the 12 game euro 2008 qualification (this was when he was at Villa).

Then Burley gave him the odd start early on before he drifted out of contention for a few years (not much under Levein).

Only became unquestionable starter for a year under wee Gordon between 13/14 which is when he had fantastic form for Wigan in their cup winning/relegation season. Scored winner v ROI and also away to Poland but was nearly 32 at that point.

Actually, I take that back. Obviously the feel-good spirit is affecting my judgement. I retract the McGregor call. One match out of 20 odd isn't enough.

Not a player, but Steve Clarke has proved me wrong. I thought that he'd do as his predecessors have done and stuck to the same old losing system/formation. But he hasnt.

Unlike McLeish and Strachan, who flirted with this system, Steve Clarke has shown tremendous fortitude by sticking to it and giving it a chance.