Scotland vs Czech Republic - Match Thread [14/10/2020] - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Czech Republic - Match Thread [14/10/2020]

Clyde1998

Definite headaches for Clarke now for the Serbia game which is a great thing although i think Dykes, Fraser and McGinn should be nailed on as they just look like they click and we should go with it. Also Marshall, Mctominay and Gallagher have earned their start. 

For other central defender then choice between McKenna, Cooper, Considine. I would pick Cooper who has experience of being against Mitrovic.

For me wing backs would be Robertson and Tierney and dont care if both left footers, the gulf in quality between them and the other choices is huge. 

Then its a choice of 2 between McGregor, Jack, Mclean and Fleck for holding mids. I would go with McGregor and Jack. 

Having Christie and Armstrong as options if we need them on bench would be excellent.

Just great to have so much depth. Lets all hope Clarke has everyone available. 

I must say that I've been impressed with Considine and Gallagher. Both players looked really confident, showed zero nerves and had about 80 caps between them. All players really have dug in hard in the last 3 games and ground out good results. Winning breeds confidence going into big games. To think we have been without 6 or 7 first team players and to qualify for a play off final then took 6 points out of 6 is really something. Hats off to the team, manager and backroom staff A+

9 hours ago, HighlandScot said:

It is great to finally have a winning run, but those results mask poor performances with abysmal ball retention. The Czechs bossed possession and should have won comfortably.  

We were good in the first half but in the 2nd half we tired a bit. The replacements were not as good as those they replaced so the quality wasnt the same. 

Using words like poor and abysmal to describe those efforts is wrong IMO. We won those games with big players missing from our squad yet its job done. 

9 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Stats can be a bit misleading as we were holding onto a lead for most of the game.

They had 5 or 6 really good chances, including a couple of uinbelievable misses. So we rode our luck, but another clean sheet will continue to build confidence. 

We had our own chances too, and that's a crucial development. 

Best players for me were McGinn, Fraser, Considine and Marshall.

Yes, I included the stat in a "despite" sort of way.

Let's hope the run of good results will help bring back the feelgood factor, and the sense we're headed in the right direction.

As much as i stuck up for considine i was worried he would have a howler but both he and Gallagher were brilliant. Considine must be on such a high today.

Weve beaten two teams ranked above us with a depleted team but in playing that depleted team and shifting players around, clarke has found a great partnership in dykes and fraser. They should be an automatic pick in serbia along with mcginn and robertson but clarke has a real headache on his hands for every other position........

Cooper, McKenna, Palmer, Tierney, Robertson, Fleck, Armstrong, Christie, Gilmour, Burke, Forrest, Shankland, Griffiths....all missing last night.

Some players were playing their third match in 7 days. 

The performance wasn't perfect but the result was. I've seen us play better and not win. 

I'm delighted at the moment and Steve Clarke has got some bid decisions ahead of the Serbia match. I just hope we are able to select our best players for the squad. 

38 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Cooper, McKenna, Palmer, Tierney, Robertson, Fleck, Armstrong, Christie, Gilmour, Burke, Forrest, Shankland, Griffiths....all missing last night.

Some players were playing their third match in 7 days. 

The performance wasn't perfect but the result was. I've seen us play better and not win. 

I'm delighted at the moment and Steve Clarke has got some bid decisions ahead of the Serbia match. I just hope we are able to select our best players for the squad. 

Was great to get the win but it was a bit worrying how easily they dominated possession in that second half, we barely got a touch of the ball. 

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Was great to get the win but it was a bit worrying how easily they dominated possession in that second half, we barely got a touch of the ball. 

More to do with being organised and conceding a bit of territory. We were getting a bit leggy or otherwise I think we’d have picked them off when they over committed. 

11 hours ago, fringo said:

I hope you've sorted your drains at long last ?  😆

😁

I tried to give you a ‘haha’ last night , soon as I hit the emoticon I got a message saying ‘ update in progress ‘, I tried refreshing a few times with the same message, then I got ‘the page you are trying to access is not available for your account.’ Wtf. An update immediately after an important game? Did anyone else get this ? I just gave up. 

Thought I had maybe be banned for ( jokingly) suggesting the fans may be the problem 😁

17 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😁

I tried to give you a ‘haha’ last night , soon as I hit the emoticon I got a message saying ‘ update in progress ‘, I tried refreshing a few times with the same message, then I got ‘the page you are trying to access is not available for your account.’ Wtf. An update immediately after an important game? Did anyone else get this ? I just gave up. 

Thought I had maybe be banned for ( jokingly) suggesting the fans may be the problem 😁

Yeah I had that as well.  Was wracking my brain to think if I'd called anyone a c***!!!

Definitely have the feel good factor back. Its been a long time since I felt this positive about how we are playing. Yes we let them have a lot of the ball but the defence and midfield look in control and organised. I even think we could get forward and score if they had got an equaliser. The future is bright but it will be hard to pick a starting 11 if all the players are fit. When was the last time we could say that. 

Absolutely fantastic effort from the boys over the last week! Great to see such enthusiasm pouring out from all the players, was buzzing off Ryan Fraser's interview after the match the wee man absolutely loving it the now, seems to be such a belief in the squad now that they can push on and actually do this! Agree with some of the above that there is a drop in quality when certain players tire or drop out but the effort and understanding of their jobs in this system is top notch they all battle for each other. Very hard to pick a team now for Serbia but right now if everyone's fit of go with.

Marshall

McTominay.  Gallagher.  Cooper

Tierney.                                        Robertson

Jack.       McLean

McGinn

Dykes.      Fraser

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

More to do with being organised and conceding a bit of territory. We were getting a bit leggy or otherwise I think we’d have picked them off when they over committed. 

Yeh I think playing this way against better teams will give us a good chance of winning more games. It was just worrying because Czechs are decent side but there not elite level like Spain or Belgium and you have to hope that we wouldn't be so terrible at keeping possession like last night in future games. We really rode our luck and should of lost. Great defending saved us and gallagher was immense. 

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Have Scotland had a better week in international football? Three matches in that time seeing us seal a play-off spot on pens followed by back-to-back wins with a patched up side helping to cement our place at the top of the group with three clean sheets. 

We won 3 times in just over a week in the 1976 Home Internationals, probably not as significant as these though.

At Killie, Steve Clarke was a master at grinding out results when the team was clearly second best.  In that respect he could be the perfect manager for Scotland!

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Yeah I had that as well.  Was wracking my brain to think if I'd called anyone a c***!!!

😂

In that case I feel in good company. Ah mean you Rangers fans NEVER get banned 😬

Mental timing though after such a great run of games.