1990 - 2020 you - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1990 - 2020 you

Shaundy

I will stick with the present day qualifiers for Scotland to Euro 2020 .

we’re co hosting a major tournament, having not qualified for one this century. 

our semifinal was against Israel . Our most familiar rival of late. In the final we face former Yugoslav Serbia. 

should we fail to qualify for Euro 2020 in 2021 then Serbia will join former Yugoslavia Croatia and former Czechoslovak Czechs along with England in a group to be hosted at Hampden anyhows. 

35 minutes ago, Shaundy said:

Not getting at anything. Just 30 years on and there’s a shitload of new Nations. Whilst we are still waiting to be one , again. 

May I ask what age you are Shaundy?  Just that in my records Scotland has been an independet football nation since time began.  Comparing apples with politics kid.

Under Craig Brown we were organized, well drilled, the players knew their jobs, inside and out and they seemed to have a club atmosphere. 

Yes, we squeaked out some results, but I remember us playing some lovely stuff. We had the like of Collins, McAllister and Lambert. All three were maestros. They could play.

As for the then me, and the now me. I thought three at the back suited us best then, and I think it suits us best now. Have done since Berti shook things up.

On 10/14/2020 at 1:26 PM, Rolling hIlls said:

May I ask what age you are Shaundy?  Just that in my records Scotland has been an independet football nation since time began.  Comparing apples with politics kid.

Mid fifties. Thank you , but I was aware that the first international game was held when my great grandfather lived not too far from the ground in Glasgow. 
Was living in Europe mainland in 1990 and those nations teams I mentioned did not exist , well Serb and Czech but not sure which continent Israel was back then . 
I do not assume you are one of us that have been singing FoS since they were still playing GSTQ as Scotland’s anthem . So excuse me if I will use Flower of Scotland and the lyrics to reference the fact that there are a  load of countries born since that don’t only have a few sports teams to their name . 
rock on rolling . 

74 was the first I followed. Still pissed that how do you get knocked out without losing.

life isn’t fair time of life   8yrs . Still, despite this it was not until the 80’s that I experienced England joining a World Cup 

1990 I was an enthusiastic armchair supporter and despite a beard, was even better looking than I am now.

This year I have to pay Sky to watch Scotland and most days have no enthusiasm for shaving my grey stubble while stuck in the hoose.

We had been beaten quite a few times between the 1988 run and the 1990 WC, including by an impressive looking Egypt in Aberdeen.   I hate Egypt with a passion to this day for not getting tore into England at the WC like they did did to us in their warm up 😆