Right wing back candidates - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Right wing back candidates

er yir macaroon

49 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

True but it’s not as if Tierney can’t cross with his right. He’d have the option of a quick ball in with his right or a more measured cross with his left. 

He’s also much more likely to be in a position to cross than someone like SOD. He’s good at little one-twos with guys like Fraser and has a burst of pace to create a yard of space. 

Tierney as rwb would give us more both in an attacking and defensive sense than Palmer and O’Donnell. I’m not knocking O’Donnell as he got the assist last night with a great ball and set up Dykes for a great chance with a lovely cut back, and Palmer put in a terrific ball for Dykes’ goal in Prague, but Tierney is a significant step up on both in that position.

Depends on the game for me. If we are playing a better side than us then id go with McCrorie or Palmer. 

If we are playing a side equal to us or worse than id have Matt Phillips. Big, strong, fast, can attack and defend.

37 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Depends on the game for me. If we are playing a better side than us then id go with McCrorie or Palmer. 

If we are playing a side equal to us or worse than id have Matt Phillips. Big, strong, fast, can attack and defend.

Phillips is not a bad shout, but I’m not totally convinced he’s really up for it. 

Long term memory but I remember England under Venables playing with wing backs one of whom whom was Darren 'Sicknote' Anderton who was usually regarded as a wide midfield player or winger and iirc Steve McManaman was on the other flank. So you can have a back three with more attack minded wingbacks.  I wouldn't play Fraser there because he is needed further up the park but the likes of  Armstrong might be more of a possibility.

2 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Looks a player. If he really comes through this year we've won a watch.

Aye, but hopefully not one of those dodgy watches they try and sell you in Benidorm. :lol:

The nice thing is that Ashby definitely seems keen on playing for Scotland. His twitter has lots of pics and mentions of his time with our national youth teams

England did play with wingers as wing backs and full backs as centre halfs in their 3-5-2 back in euro 96...

something like

Neville  adams   pearce

Anderton                                              mcmanaman

from memory I think the two wing backs played on opposite flanks to their natural sides and cut in with the sided centre halfs over lapping like a full back would.  Ince or southgate would be the holding midfielder and drop back in as cover when this happened. their first goal against us was where Neville overlapped and crossed for shearer.

Not sure that would work for us...   If we must go three at the back I think we would need to look at full backs in these roles, but ideally ones with an attacking intent.  I am sure safety first will be our policy and I can see a lot of turgid games ahead... but probably better results!

We certainly have players like Tierney who could do that attacking centre half thing well.  One of the advantages of this is that is that opposition don't expect centre halfs to attack from deep.

As for right wing back.... no stand outs at the moment.  I would be tempted to play SOD at the moment until we have better options.  

For our wide midfielders, I think they can expect a lot of bench time in our new formation.  They are competing for the spot that Fraser played on Sunday.  I think you are looking at that position being a competition between Christie and fraser.  Forrest will be on the bench unless we go with a 3-4-3 and he plays wide...  or comes on to turn a game around.  I would guess that Armstrong will be backup for McGinn. 

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

England did play with wingers as wing backs and full backs as centre halfs in their 3-5-2 back in euro 96...

something like

Neville  adams   pearce

Anderton                                              mcmanaman

from memory I think the two wing backs played on opposite flanks to their natural sides and cut in with the sided centre halfs over lapping like a full back would.  Ince or southgate would be the holding midfielder and drop back in as cover when this happened. their first goal against us was where Neville overlapped and crossed for shearer.

Not sure that would work for us...   If we must go three at the back I think we would need to look at full backs in these roles, but ideally ones with an attacking intent.  I am sure safety first will be our policy and I can see a lot of turgid games ahead... but probably better results!

We certainly have players like Tierney who could do that attacking centre half thing well.  One of the advantages of this is that is that opposition don't expect centre halfs to attack from deep.

As for right wing back.... no stand outs at the moment.  I would be tempted to play SOD at the moment until we have better options.  

For our wide midfielders, I think they can expect a lot of bench time in our new formation.  They are competing for the spot that Fraser played on Sunday.  I think you are looking at that position being a competition between Christie and fraser.  Forrest will be on the bench unless we go with a 3-4-3 and he plays wide...  or comes on to turn a game around.  I would guess that Armstrong will be backup for McGinn. 

Yep, knowing us there will be a winger revolt and they’ll all take the huff for not getting game time. I think tonight we’re going to face a slightly better side than of late so it will be a good test of the current formation. 

One player that hasn't been mentioned is Burke. With the formation and style we seem to be set up for, we'll be hitting teams on the break at speed.

An attribute of Burke's, that is often overlooked, is his ability to harry, close down and tackle. So he already has some qualities suited to defensive work, but having him bulleting down the wing on a counter could be absolutely invaluable. Much in the way Anya was when he broke into the team.

I'm sure a lot of people will disgaree, but having his pace and athleticism in the team could be a dangerous weapon, and having him on the right of a back 5 means we won't have to sacrifice Fraser, McGinn or another striker.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

One player that hasn't been mentioned is Burke. With the formation and style we seem to be set up for, we'll be hitting teams on the break at speed.

An attribute of Burke's, that is often overlooked, is his ability to harry, close down and tackle. So he already has some qualities suited to defensive work, but having him bulleting down the wing on a counter could be absolutely invaluable. Much in the way Anya was when he broke into the team.

I'm sure a lot of people will disgaree, but having his pace and athleticism in the team could be a dangerous weapon, and having him on the right of a back 5 means we won't have to sacrifice Fraser, McGinn or another striker.

I did mention Burke in my OP as a bit of a wild card. He has the physical attributes, no question. He would pulverise his opponent if it came down to a test of pace and stamina. Whether he has the nous for it, we can’t really know till he is given a try. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

I did mention Burke in my OP as a bit of a wild card. He has the physical attributes, no question. He would pulverise his opponent if it came down to a test of pace and stamina. Whether he has the nous for it, we can’t really know till he is given a try. 

I think especially against the elite teams, you really need a player with his characteristics. I can just imagine games where we are penned into our box and McTominay sliding the ball out of defence for an on-running Burke to take us up the park.

I think playing him as the main striker is a bit of a waste, as he's not a natural goalscorer, but he can certainly carry the ball at pace.

10 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Good assist.

Off topic: A lot of MLS sides have the Adidas three stripes on either shoulder of their top. It looks awesome. It would appear that that's the new Adidas template.

France and Rangers had a similar look in the early 90s, but their stripes were a lot thicker. Liverpool had it to, but they only had the stripes on one shoulder.

I wanted the Scotland top to have the 90s three stripes, but I could live with the new template.

6 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Honestly think Burke is the most overrated player near or in our squad. Would love to be wrong but I just don't see it.

Don't even think he can cross the ball.

We'll see how he gets on at Sheffield United I guess.

On 10/16/2020 at 6:55 PM, Taylor1996 said:

Good assist.

Off topic: A lot of MLS sides have the Adidas three stripes on either shoulder of their top. It looks awesome. It would appear that that's the new Adidas template.

France and Rangers had a similar look in the early 90s, but their stripes were a lot thicker. Liverpool had it to, but they only had the stripes on one shoulder.

I wanted the Scotland top to have the 90s three stripes, but I could live with the new template.

I'd imagine if it's the same as most american sports then Adidas make all the strips so every team will have that style for one of their strips.

4 hours ago, Kirk said:

I'd imagine if it's the same as most american sports then Adidas make all the strips so every team will have that style for one of their strips.

I'd say so.

You know what it's like, America companies pretty much lead the way. In this case, I hope so. I like it.

I'd buy it... Unlike the current abomination.