Nations League - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nations League

SkyBlueScot

The two best Nations League group winners, who didn't finish in the top two of their group will enter the play-offs, along with the second-placed teams from each of the ten qualifying group (the winners of each automatically qualify).

The twelve play-off teams (ten runners-up, two Nations League) will play a semi-final and final, with the three final winners qualifying for a total of thirteen European teams at the World Cup.

Important to note: it is group winners. If all the Group A winners finish in the top two of their qualifying groups, then the Group B winners will be entered for the play-offs, not anyone who comes 2nd, 3rd or 4th in Group A. (Same going down).

Edited by Clyde1998

6 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Hopefully I don't get banned for asking such basic questions but what does winning this round of nations leagues get you? Last time it's got us to here (1 game from the Euros) but does this do the same with World cup places?

My understanding is the best two teams(who have not qualified outright) in the league overall will join others in the play offs Probably unlikely to be a team from league B.

The Nations League will be partially linked with European qualification for the FIFA World Cup, although to a lesser degree than is done for the UEFA European Championship qualifying play-offs. The first round of the World Cup qualification consists of ten groups. The winner of each group will directly qualify for the World Cup. Then, the second round (which follows a play-off format) will be contested by the ten group runners-up, plus the best two Nations League group winners, based on the Nations League overall ranking, that finished outside the top two of their qualifying group. The play-offs will be split into three play-off paths, played in two single-match knockout rounds (semi-finals and finals, with the home teams to be drawn), from which an additional three teams will also qualify.

On second thoughts that looks like you have to be a group winner to qualify for the play off which would make it very likely both teams would be from League B in fact if we win our group we would be almost certain to make the play offs

16 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

That Ireland v Wales game was possibly one of the worst internationals I have ever seen

I saw a game once where Craig Levein started with a 4 6 0 formation, Miller and Steven Fletcher on the bench.   It’s ingrained in the memory like a red wine stain on a cream carpet. No matter how much you rub it, you can’t get rid of it. That was not very good either.

6 minutes ago, bigfathagiz said:

I saw a game once where Craig Levein started with a 4 6 0 formation, Miller and Steven Fletcher on the bench.   It’s ingrained in the memory like a red wine stain on a cream carpet. No matter how much you rub it, you can’t get rid of it. That was not very good either.

It was exactly 10 years ago on Thursday night....:yikes3:

35 minutes ago, bigfathagiz said:

Miller and Iwelumo it was on the bench. Fletcher had spat the dummy out by then and was greeting in the stand. 

4 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Miller and Iwelumo it was on the bench. Fletcher had spat the dummy out by then and was greeting in the stand. 

I can remember saying to my pals (only half in jest) that if they are the best two centre forwards we can find then it's fairly understandable why Levein might think it could be a good idea to play without any of them. I think that was around the time that Miller was getting noticed for his 1000 minutes without a goal run? Iwelumo was just well..........Iwelumo.

And Fletcher hadn't started scoring hat-tricks against pub teams yet.

53 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

England might be the next big things but they are playing an inexperienced team against Belgium. Bookies have England as favourites 🧐. I'm going Belgium to win, both score, 2 cards each and 4 corners each for 40/1.

You were getting 2/1 on belgium earlier 

As well as offering a route into the World Cup 2022 playoffs the Nations League will also decide the seeding pots for the Euro 2024 qualifiers. 

If we could win our NL group this year then I think we will guarantee pot 2 for the next Euro qualifiers. 

47 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

And Steven Naismith - on a break from a first half corner - got to the halfway line and turned back because there was nobody to pass to to keep the move flowing.

33 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

And Steven Naismith - on a break from a first half corner - got to the halfway line and turned back because there was nobody to pass to to keep the move flowing.

I remember that. It really was brutal wasn’t it? No wonder it gets thrown at Levein even to this day.

5 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Anyhow it was a shit result.....are you trying to say that the formation was the best The Glorious Mighty Scotland The Brave can come up with?   Just to sit and defend ....with no fight, no forward thinking, no crossing the border into the other teams space, just sit there like lame ducks to be beaten....as we were?

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

By my reading of things the game on Wednesday gives us the best chance we have of reaching a World Cup playoff in donkeys years 

We'd have been in even better shape if Israel had equalised versus the Czechs in the last minute but they hit the post.

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

We'd have been in even better shape if Israel had equalised versus the Czechs in the last minute but they hit the post.

Yeah that would have been good in terms of getting promoted to League A as a win on Wednesday would more or less have seen us win the group depending on the result of Slovakia v Israel. 

Winning the group on its own won’t get us a playoff though. We’d likely need to get 4 points from our last 2 games to give us the best chance even with a win on Wednesday. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah that would have been good in terms of getting promoted to League A as a win on Wednesday would more or less have seen us win the group depending on the result of Slovakia v Israel. 

Winning the group on its own won’t get us a playoff though. We’d likely need to get 4 points from our last 2 games to give us the best chance even with a win on Wednesday. 

Possible that one or two of the other group winners might qualify for playoffs through the more traditional route. 

Possible as well that one of the league A group winners might not make at least the playoffs but that would be pretty unlikely.

If we do win on Wednesday then I would say 3 points in the last two games would probably do it. I would be pretty hopeful of winning one of them.

No team in League B has more points than 7 after their first three games.

Be interesting if we do win our group doing the maths on how we hope results go in other games once normal qualification starts.

42 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Possible that one or two of the other group winners might qualify for playoffs through the more traditional route. 

Possible as well that one of the league A group winners might not make at least the playoffs but that would be pretty unlikely.

If we do win on Wednesday then I would say 3 points in the last two games would probably do it. I would be pretty hopeful of winning one of them.

No team in League B has more points than 7 after their first three games.

Be interesting if we do win our group doing the maths on how we hope results go in other games once normal qualification starts.

13 points would be tight in terms of being the best group winner from league B, particularly if we don’t have a good goal difference. 

I know we wouldn’t necessarily need to be the best group winner but it would give us the best possible chance of a playoff. 

In all honesty though it’s probably a bit premature and possibly greedy to be even thinking of the World Cup play offs at this stage. Maybe if we win on Wednesday we can start to believe. 

6 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild