Team V Slovakia - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team V Slovakia

Caledonian Craig

2 minutes ago, loanhead-tartan said:

Considine has had a solid career and you could say he deserves this opportunity he probably won’t get a lot of caps considering age . Porteous is still young and his chance will come he will be Scotland’s number 1 centre half for years to come 

Yeh we want to win the match. Porteous is better than considine imo and why is Cooper not playing. 

1 minute ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I guess the issue for Clarke is to decide who his best CBs are.

McKenna, Gallagher, Cooper, Porteous and Considine are not too different in skill level and, to be honest, I can't really get upset which he goes with.  

McKenna, Cooper and Porteous are levels above considine. Considine is league 1 at best whereas those three will play at a higher level than he will ever reach. 

7 hours ago, gonzohiggy said:

What's wrong with picking dependable experienced players who will do a good job for a specific game or games? 

Don't particularly rate either player but they are experienced and less risky than calling up an unproven young player.

Because there is a reason why they havent received a cap by this stage. 

They havent even been in consideration previously. 

Bringing in a young player like Hickey exposes him to international football and also allows him to train with 1st team players and be seen by the management team. Would be so much more beneficial than caling up players who have never been and will never be international class.

1 minute ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I just don't think that's fair or even true.

Well considine is an average/poor defender in the spl. McKenna was the one of the best in the spl and will probably play in the epl in the future or at the worst will play in the English Championship. Porteous will play at least English championship or higher. Cooper already plays epl. Considine is honestly league 1 level and he is seriously poor for Aberdeen everytime I have seen him. 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well considine is an average/poor defender in the spl. McKenna was the one of the best in the spl and will probably play in the epl in the future or at the worst will play in the English Championship. Porteous will play at least English championship or higher. Cooper already plays epl. Considine is honestly league 1 level and he is seriously poor for Aberdeen everytime I have seen him. 

Considine is in because if Cooper is injured he is the only left-sided CB available; plus Clarke rates him from his displays v Killie.

9 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I just don't think that's fair or even true.

Considering Considine is 33 now and the others are in their 20s, I think it's a perfectly fair comment to say that their potential to play at a higher level is far greater than his. Come to think of it, Cooper already is playing at a higher level!

Needless to say, he'll have my 100% support tonight, but Considine is a solid SPFL player at best, nothing more. Good luck to him tonight though.

22 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Not on the bench so guessing injured. Ye nations league is probably the most important thing to us now. Crazy starting 11. 

The Nations League is more important than the playoffs?

We have 3 matches this international break which is highly unusual. One of the three games had to be slightly sacrificed in terms of the personnel used and Clarke has obviously gone with this one as we will need some of our better players back for Wednesday night’s game. Most of the guys that played 120 minutes on Thursday have rightly been rested 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

The Nations League is more important than the playoffs?

We have 3 matches this international break which is highly unusual. One of the three games had to be slightly sacrificed in terms of the personnel used and Clarke has obviously gone with this one as we will need some of our better players back for Wednesday night’s game. Most of the guys that played 120 minutes on Thursday have rightly been rested 

Ye but the nations league is the reason we are in the play offs. I was meaning the play offs is included as part of the nations league tournament. 

With Cooper out I think Considine is the clear choice. He's the only left sided central defender left (unbelievable!) to pick from, and he's got tons of experience playing for a team at the top end of the Premier League, with plenty of experience in European games. He's a useful guy to have if we get any corners as well.

He's always been just a little bit below the standard of getting into the Scotland squad, but he's not been too far off. I'm pleased for him, I'm sure he's buzzing right now.

8 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Considine and McGinn are shocking call ups. So far off the standard required. Call ups of this nature should either be a) young boys with potential or b) older players who have had chance to push for starting places but for whatever reason have recrntly been oit of the picture. ( ie Griffiths and Phillips)

Considine is a token gesture for a call up, he probably won’t play again after tonight, bu no one can deny him a cap for his country. 

He’s been mr reliable for Aberdeen the last few seasons and deserves this before his career ends. 

Agree about why Considine plays, he is a solid pro & will bring balance to the team. What I'm more pissed about is odonnell playing again, seems a nice guy but that's not enough to play for your country, he is a liability at this level. McLean is another solid player but not good enough to be starting even with our injuries. 

1 minute ago, dandydunn said:

Be truthful here, how often have you seen him play the last 5 seasons?

Countless times, I am a closet dons fan, supported them as a kid. Playing with considine is why I always gave mckenna a pass when the dons lost badly because having to defend alongside him must be terrible. Considine is a seriously poor player and I honestly think he would struggle in the English league 1. 

3 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Agree about why Considine plays, he is a solid pro & will bring balance to the team. What I'm more pissed about is odonnell playing again, seems a nice guy but that's not enough to play for your country, he is a liability at this level. McLean is another solid player but not good enough to be starting even with our injuries. 

Its worrying that we are playing o donnell. 

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Countless times, I am a closet dons fan, supported them as a kid. Playing with considine is why I always gave mckenna a pass when the dons lost badly because having to defend alongside him must be terrible. Considine is a seriously poor player and I honestly think he would struggle in the English league 1. 

I’m sure you are 🙄

Hes constantly performed for Aberdeen, has bags of European experience and as others have said, is naturally left sided. 

Would he be in if we never had all these call offs, no, absolutely not, does he deserve a chance to help out his country, yes, 100%. 

17 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Ye but the nations league is the reason we are in the play offs. I was meaning the play offs is included as part of the nations league tournament. 

The playoffs are no more part of the Nations League than the Scottish Premiership is part of the Champions League qualifiers. 

The Nations League is very important but I wouldn’t say it was any more important than the normal qualifiers and the playoffs should definitely take priority over these Nations League games. If that means resting some players tonight then so be it.