Serbia Next - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Serbia Next

Caledonian Craig

24 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well we have our first call-off for the play-off final:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54598916

☹️

Its a bummer but we have lots of midfielders playing at a high level to come in and replace him. Might give  Ferguson or Turnbull a chance at a call up as well. 

Our midfield strength in depth is really good imo. 

58 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well we have our first call-off for the play-off final:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54598916

☹️

That's not great, but Armstrong and Christie will have no doubt come into the squad anyway - meaning Fleck probably wouldn't have featured regardless. The centre of midfield is the only position where I think we've got quite a bit of depth.

1 minute ago, Clyde1998 said:

That's not great, but Armstrong and Christie will have no doubt come into the squad anyway - meaning Fleck probably wouldn't have featured regardless. The centre of midfield is the only position where I think we've got quite a bit of depth.

Correct. I think Armstrong has more to offer anyway. Christie slightly different position to Fleck, more of a number 10 or flank player.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

Yes I realise that but all it needs is for one or two more injuries in that position then we have to start scratching around for alternatives. No panic yet though.

Losing John Fleck is a big blow.

McGregor goes invisible too much. McLean isn't very good. Christie, I'm not sure if he can play the anchorman role. And Armstrong, I simply do not trust him (Last minute of the England match, anyone). There's Jack, but no one else.

Might be tempted to push McTominay back into midfield with Cooper, McKenna and Tierney in a three. But maybe not.

18 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

McGregor goes invisible too much. McLean isn't very good. Christie, I'm not sure if he can play the anchorman role. And Armstrong, I simply do not trust him (Last minute of the England match, anyone). There's Jack, but no one else.

Might be tempted to push McTominay back into midfield with Cooper, McKenna and Tierney in a three. But maybe not.

Shut up fool

24 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Big over reaction.

At the moment he is a squad player and only has four caps to his name. He has not had a run in the Sheffield United side and had one short substitute appearance in the recent three matches. I am not sure how you can equate that to a big blow.

38 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

He's been rubbish since lockdown, we are in a spot of bother with the type of midfield our recent play is reliant on . 

Two of Jack, McLean and McGregor are needed so unless Gilmour gets match fit soon the only other option is to play McTominay.

Back then to the same old problem of a right sided central defender.

Best option is probably to bring in Ross McCrorie.

53 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

All three of these centre halfs are left footers so unlikely he will pick all three - Mctominay will play right centre back.  Fleck is a blow as when he is in top form then he is a serious contender for starting slot.  Christie will compete with Fraser for the second striker role and likely be on the bench - he plays a different position from Fleck.

The central midfield roles will be two from Jack, Mcgregor, Mclean.

Armstrong will be cover for McGinn.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Big over reaction.

At the moment he is a squad player and only has four caps to his name. He has not had a run in the Sheffield United side and had one short substitute appearance in the recent three matches. I am not sure how you can equate that to a big blow.

He should've had a lot more than four caps. A season and a bit in the EPL. The Sheffield United fans rate him highly.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He's been rubbish since lockdown, we are in a spot of bother with the type of midfield our recent play is reliant on . 

Two of Jack, McLean and McGregor are needed so unless Gilmour gets match fit soon the only other option is to play McTominay.

Back then to the same old problem of a right sided central defender.

Best option is probably to bring in Ross McCrorie.

McCrorie might be too soon, but I think he could be a long term solution. He's impressed with Aberdeen. And as far as Gilmour, it sucks that he git injured, as he'd be absolutely what we need.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

All three of these centre halfs are left footers so unlikely he will pick all three - Mctominay will play right centre back.  Fleck is a blow as when he is in top form then he is a serious contender for starting slot.  Christie will compete with Fraser for the second striker role and likely be on the bench - he plays a different position from Fleck.

The central midfield roles will be two from Jack, Mcgregor, Mclean.

Armstrong will be cover for McGinn.

Just hope that everyone is fit and on form come the Serbia match.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Big over reaction.

Agreed, fleck hasnt been that great for scotland when he has played, dont get me wrong he hasnt been bad but not a hige loss in my opinion.

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Now if MCGinn wasn't fit....  that would be a problem...

If mcginn wasnt fit, that would be a genuine huge miss. His confidence must be through the roof right now, villa flying high, played a big role in three great results for his country and captained his country in one of those games. 

8 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

We don't have a great deal of qualify in midfield, irrespective of what the mob in this place says.

Fleck is a huge miss.

However, that's the good thing about the double-pivot in front of the back three, it allows limited midfielders to be able to shine.

I have already said to you how is someone with four international caps in around two years a huge miss? He is not a first team regular for us? He played one brief sub appearance in our last three matches which we did very well in and he has been out of the Sheffield United side to boot. If fit he would not have been in the starting line-up anyway. So not a huge miss at all. Unfortunate - yes but thatis it.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I have already said to you how is someone with four international caps in around two years a huge miss? He is not a first team regular for us? He played one brief sub appearance in our last three matches which we did very well in and he has been out of the Sheffield United side to boot. If fit he would not have been in the starting line-up anyway. So not a huge miss at all. Unfortunate - yes but thatis it.

I fail to see why him having four caps has anything to do with it. How many caps has Dykes had? Would he be a huge miss? How about Billy Gilmour, is he a miss? Apparently not, as he has *gasp* ZERO caps. 

McGregor and McLean have how many caps between them? 34? Culminating in one goal and I'm guessing zero assists.

That's the strong central midfield that Fleck can't break into? I think not. Tom Cairney is better than McGregor and McLean and he only has two caps.

He's been in and out of the Sheffield United team because of injury. A fit and in form John Fleck is our best central midfielder... Since McTominay is playing at the back.

19 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I fail to see why him having four caps has anything to do with it. How many caps has Dykes had? Would he be a huge miss? How about Billy Gilmour, is he a miss? Apparently not, as he has *gasp* ZERO caps. 

McGregor and McLean have how many caps between them? 34? Culminating in one goal and I'm guessing zero assists.

That's the strong central midfield that Fleck can't break into? I think not. Tom Cairney is better than McGregor and McLean and he only has two caps.

He's been in and out of the Sheffield United team because of injury. A fit and in form John Fleck is our best central midfielder... Since McTominay is playing at the back.

I do love how you paint a picture that everyone here but you are wind-up merchants when quite clearly you are as well. I made this point about Fleck yesterday and you didn't deny what I said but then came back with another post later totally contrary to your original reaction.

Fleck was a squad member in our most recent squad and despite another midfielder pulling out of the squad he still did not feature. Dykes and all other players you mention are NOW first team regulars and Fleck is not. I am not sure how your brain cannot equate those facts. Dykes has won his five caps in a month whereas Fleck has won his four caps in a year.

Edited by Caledonian Craig