Serbia Next - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Serbia Next

Caledonian Craig

16 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Wasn't there still even a small chance of qualifying even after the Italy game e.g. France losing in Ukraine or have I misremembered that? Finished 2-2.

No, when we lost to Italy that night we were eliminated. France finished two points ahead of Scotland. There were seven teams in that group and in the final set of fixtures, when France drew in Ukraine, it was our turn not to play. I went to all the home games and most of the away games, only missing Lithuania and Georgia. I’m still deflated when I think how close we were to qualifying from a group with the world champions, WC finalists (and team ranked 1 in the world) and WC quarter-finalists.

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

To what degree form will matter next month is anyone’s guess but obviously very happy we’re unbeaten and Clarke seems to have created a settled squad. Still think Serbia are a better team and start favourites but we’ve a chance. 

I don't think anyone is denying that here. Just re-iterating to the doom merchants that Serbia are by no means unbeatable.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

17 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Just a thought, do you think the chances would be improved if it was at Hampden?

FWIW I don't.

That would depend on if Serbia allows fans in for the match. If they do then it would have been more beneficial being at Hampden if its behind closed doors then no real difference to it being Hampden.

55 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That would depend on if Serbia allows fans in for the match. If they do then it would have been more beneficial being at Hampden if its behind closed doors then no real difference to it being Hampden.

Even without fans I think it would be preferable to be at Hampden.  There is the familiarity of the pitch and surroundings... small things but they do make a difference.

21 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Even without fans I think it would be preferable to be at Hampden.  There is the familiarity of the pitch and surroundings... small things but they do make a difference.

It's a funny one...in the top leagues in the Europe the lack of fans seems to have increased the chances of winning for both the home and the away team as there have been a lot less draws.  However, the stats still favour the home team.  

34 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Well certainly its nowhere near the advantage of having 50,000 fervent, noisy Serb fans backing them in Belgrade.

6 hours ago, RabtheBruce said:

No, when we lost to Italy that night we were eliminated. France finished two points ahead of Scotland. There were seven teams in that group and in the final set of fixtures, when France drew in Ukraine, it was our turn not to play. 

Yep, if we'd drawn with Italy we had a dug's chance if Ukraine managed to beat France, but Panucci's late winner made sure we were oot :(

I'll go out on a limb here and say if we win this one it will be Scotland's greatest ever result.

Sure we've had some famous wins over excellent teams, but ultimately they didn't count for much.

This is against a tough opponent, in a place where we've never won, and with qualification at stake for both sides. It's HUGE!

Edited by Toepoke

4 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

He calls our stats 'interesting numbers'. Fair comment.

'On Target' is a bit deceptive. Sure, we've not had a large amount of attacking play, but we have hit the woodwork a number of times in the past few games, had chances going just wide/over, chances blocked and chances that never led to a shot.

You could have ten shots on target in a game from firing them straight at the keeper from 30 yards and never come close to scoring.

It's clear our tactics have been more about not conceding than scoring, but that means we only need to score once if we can hold out the opposition.

The squad kind of picks itself now for next month. Barring injuries the squad will probably look something like this:-

Goalkeepers:

David Marshall (Derby Co.) 39 Caps

Jon McLaughlin (Rangers) 2 Caps

Robby McCrorie (Livingstone) Uncapped

Defender:

Andrew Considine (Aberdeen) 2 Caps

Liam Cooper (Leeds U.) 4 Caps

Declan Gallagher (Motherwell) 5 Caps

Scott McKenna (Notts. Forest) 14 Caps

Scott McTominay (Man. U.) 16 Caps

Stephen O'Donnell (Motherwell) 14 Caps

Liam Palmer (Sheff. W.) 6 Caps

Andrew Robertson (Liverpool) 38 Caps 3 Goals

Greg Taylor (Celtic) 4 Caps

Kieran Tierney (Arsenal) 13 Caps

Midfielders:

Stuart Armstrong (Southampton) 21 Caps 2 Goals

Ryan Christie (Celtic) 12 Caps 1 Goal

John Fleck (Sheff. U.) 4 Caps

James Forrest (Celtic) 35 Caps 5 Goals IF FIT

Ryan Fraser (Newcastle U.) 14 Caps 2 Goals

Ryan Jack (Rangers) 8 Caps

John McGinn (Aston Villa) 26 Caps 7 Goals

Callum McGregor (Celtic) 24 Caps

Kenny McLean (Norwich C.) 14 Caps 1 Goal

Forwards:

Oliver Burke (Sheff. U.) 12 Caps 1 Goal

Lyndon Dykes (QPR) 5 Caps 2 Goals

Leigh Griffiths (Celtic) 19 Caps 4 Goals

Oli McBurnie (Sheff. U.) 12 Caps

Callum Paterson (Sheff. W.) 15 Caps

Lawrence Shankland (Dundee U.) 3 Caps 1 Goal

Obviously, that is providing they are all fit. I don't think I have missed any likely inclusions out.

42 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The squad kind of picks itself now for next month. Barring injuries the squad will probably look something like this:-

Goalkeepers:

David Marshall (Derby Co.) 39 Caps

Jon McLaughlin (Rangers) 2 Caps

Robby McCrorie (Livingstone) Uncapped

Defender:

Andrew Considine (Aberdeen) 2 Caps

Liam Cooper (Leeds U.) 4 Caps

Declan Gallagher (Motherwell) 5 Caps

Scott McKenna (Notts. Forest) 14 Caps

Scott McTominay (Man. U.) 16 Caps

Stephen O'Donnell (Motherwell) 14 Caps

Liam Palmer (Sheff. W.) 6 Caps

Andrew Robertson (Liverpool) 38 Caps 3 Goals

Greg Taylor (Celtic) 4 Caps

Kieran Tierney (Arsenal) 13 Caps

Midfielders:

Stuart Armstrong (Southampton) 21 Caps 2 Goals

Ryan Christie (Celtic) 12 Caps 1 Goal

John Fleck (Sheff. U.) 4 Caps

James Forrest (Celtic) 35 Caps 5 Goals IF FIT

Ryan Fraser (Newcastle U.) 14 Caps 2 Goals

Ryan Jack (Rangers) 8 Caps

John McGinn (Aston Villa) 26 Caps 7 Goals

Callum McGregor (Celtic) 24 Caps

Kenny McLean (Norwich C.) 14 Caps 1 Goal

Forwards:

Oliver Burke (Sheff. U.) 12 Caps 1 Goal

Lyndon Dykes (QPR) 5 Caps 2 Goals

Leigh Griffiths (Celtic) 19 Caps 4 Goals

Oli McBurnie (Sheff. U.) 12 Caps

Callum Paterson (Sheff. W.) 15 Caps

Lawrence Shankland (Dundee U.) 3 Caps 1 Goal

Obviously, that is providing they are all fit. I don't think I have missed any likely inclusions out.

Yeah that’ll be it pretty much. I can’t think of anyone else apart from under 21 players who featured previously. Least we now have a settled squad and shape going into the final.