Scotland vs Israel - Match Thread [08/10/2020] - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Israel - Match Thread [08/10/2020]

Clyde1998

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Christie, tierney, armstrong, mcginn, fraser and even forrest can create chances. 

We only had two of the above avaipable yesterday and one of those wasnt fit. 

Calling up a player who isnt even in the celtic team and another with a handful of appearances for an average MLS side is not the amswer

Fraser and forrest are the only proper wingers out of that list.

We need guys who have a bit of trickery and confidence to take ppl on. It's something we always lacked. Mikey Johnston is a young and upcoming winger who was getting games for celtic and scoring in the Europa league before he got injured. Why wait til he's 24 before we cap him let's get him in while he's 21 and let him gain international experience.  I am not suggesting calling him up while injured but once he's back from injury and getting game time he should be called up. He should of actually been called up when he was 19/20. Can you name me any other decent young Scottish wingers coming through because I can't. 

Morgan is starting to do well for inter miami and as I said we don't have many young wingers coming through so it would be good to give him a chance. Forrest is by no means a starter and fraser is hardly in the squad. 

As I said last night Israel were more composed on the ball than us and kept possession well but that is their game. Look at,the goals they scored against us? All pearlers or speculative long range shots. We got into the better positions in their box a number of times but they snuffed us out as they pack their defence. We went closer to scoring than them but it was still not a great performance by any means but we got the job done. The positives were we looked more solid in defence, kept our nerve for penalties and overcame the big banana skin of losing 6 players from the squad which had to have disrupted our plans. And most of all we are through.

At the end of the day we are through and that is the most important thing. Apparently, in our last 20 games we have only lost to Germany, Belgium and Russia - all better than Serbia. No doubt they will be hot favourites to qualify but that suits me. Time to think positive not negative.

8 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

True.  Just watched again.  But such a dour personality before games.  Dont get me wrong, I like him and want him to be manager for next 10 years.  But he needs to cheer up before a game.

You can't win. Strachan used to get pelters for being too jokey/jovial on here now this.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

So what if they looked technically better? They created one chance because our players kept them to long range efforts. We had more clear cut chances.

Teams have gone pretty far in tournaments by containing opposition to the above. 

Realism my arse, its negativity.

There was something very familiar about a Steve Clarke team allowing the opposition to have 60% possession, in what's now apparently called a 'low press'. A point was made previously about the Israelis 'hunting in packs' - they did, and that was clear enough to see the differences in the tactical approaches of the 2 teams. They pressed high and hounded us in possession, we dropped back into our preferred shape and let them have as much of the ball as they wanted to about 35 yards out. Some may not like our tactics on the night, but it certainly looked like the players followed the instructions implicitly. If Clarke judged that they were technically gifted to the point that they would beat us in a toe to toe battle in midfield, or if he decided that our defense needed a bank of 4 or 5 in front of it when we were out of possession, then I can see why he set us up the way he did. It's not attractive, but we're unbeaten in 6. Reminds me very much of what he did with Killie. Small, incremental steps, starting with being difficult to beat. To continue the comparison with Killie, what we are missing is a Boyd, Jones, Stewart performance to get us up the park, hold up play, wee bit of something special. It could be McGinn or Fraser. Possibly Griffiths. At least we have hope and we're closer to a finals.

2 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

There was something very familiar about a Steve Clarke team allowing the opposition to have 60% possession, in what's now apparently called a 'low press'. A point was made previously about the Israelis 'hunting in packs' - they did, and that was clear enough to see the differences in the tactical approaches of the 2 teams. They pressed high and hounded us in possession, we dropped back into our preferred shape and let them have as much of the ball as they wanted to about 35 yards out. Some may not like our tactics on the night, but it certainly looked like the players followed the instructions implicitly. If Clarke judged that they were technically gifted to the point that they would beat us in a toe to toe battle in midfield, or if he decided that our defense needed a bank of 4 or 5 in front of it when we were out of possession, then I can see why he set us up the way he did. It's not attractive, but we're unbeaten in 6. Reminds me very much of what he did with Killie. Small, incremental steps, starting with being difficult to beat. To continue the comparison with Killie, what we are missing is a Boyd, Jones, Stewart performance to get us up the park, hold up play, wee bit of something special. It could be McGinn or Fraser. Possibly Griffiths. At least we have hope and we're closer to a finals.

And hence is our problem.  Football is a sport and supposed to be entertainment.  Setting up a team that is 'hard to beat' is the mentality that has got us where we are.  You obviously agree with that as did every other manager since Roxburgh.  When I first saw Scotland it was Get in to them.  Might not have won every game but gave it a go.  I coach my boys and never ever would say that we cant win so we need to sit back and hope we get a breakaway. Pish attitude.

11 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Whit????????

In the past if a team was attacking in extra time the ref would only blow the whistle once the attack was over, usually from the ball being cleared or going out of play for a goal kick. Winning the corner meant we were still on the attack. Surprised you have never seen this happening in the past. How long have you been watching football?

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

In the past if a team was attacking in extra time the ref would only blow the whistle once the attack was over, usually from the ball being cleared or going out of play for a goal kick. Winning the corner meant we were still on the attack. Surprised you have never seen this happening in the past. How long have you been watching football?

Depended on the ref mate.  Seen it happen loads of times.  How long is an attack over?  I know what you are saying but I have seen games where the ref has blown the whistle when the corner kick is flying over to the 6 yard box.  How long have you been watching football? 👍

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Clearly not this time in the past...

The ref can stop the game at any time unless it's a penalty kick.

3 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Clearly not this time in the past...

The ref can stop the game at any time unless it's a penalty kick.

I think rules were changed since that very infamous moment. Or at least refs to show a bit of common. As in blow for time bfore a corner-kick/free-kick is taken at latest.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

2 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Depended on the ref mate.  Seen it happen loads of times.  How long is an attack over?  I know what you are saying but I have seen games where the ref has blown the whistle when the corner kick is flying over to the 6 yard box.  How long have you been watching football? 👍

Since about 94. I always remember when I was growing up watching games that the ref would give the team currently on the attack the benefit of continuing the attack until the ball was cleared or went out for a goal kick or throw in. Maybe its changed now or maybe its just down to the refs discretion. Who knows

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Since about 94. I always remember when I was growing up watching games that the ref would give the team currently on the attack the benefit of continuing the attack until the ball was cleared or went out for a goal kick or throw in. Maybe its changed now or maybe its just down to the refs discretion. Who knows

You are correct.  But refs have a law unto thereselves!!

34 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

At the end of the day we are through and that is the most important thing. Apparently, in our last 20 games we have only lost to Germany, Belgium and Russia - all better than Serbia. No doubt they will be hot favourites to qualify but that suits me. Time to think positive not negative.

Kazakhstan has a strong case to dispute that.

The reference was probably to the last 20 home games.

13 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Was that not famously a Sweden v possibly Brazil game at a World Cup?