Scotland vs Israel - Match Thread [08/10/2020] - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Israel - Match Thread [08/10/2020]

Clyde1998

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

McGregor deserves more credit that he normally gets. I think a lot of folk don't actually watch what he does during a game. A lot of it is off the ball. And he covers a huge chunk of the pitch.

Agree. Was concerned when Jack was substituted as thought he covered McGregor well at defensive midfield but as you said did so  much off the ball and few penetrating runs.

11 minutes ago, Rohan said:

Special shout-out to Gallagher who was probably not going to play a single minute. Cooper and Gallagher were both excellent given the circumstances. Big improvement needed for the game Vs Serbia but hopefully we have a fully fit squad to pick from including Griffiths

Totally agree and about Gallagher in particular. It wasnt a pretty game but I thought he was solid especially under the pressure of this game. 

Lol amazing what difference 1 pen can make. We lose that on pens tonight and everyone would be calling for Clarkes head and rightfully so. We are a poor team and tonight was hard to watch. Not sure if this formation is worth sticking with. We never looked like scoring apart from McTominay's header. 

I know we need forwards but I think we need to move on from Leigh Griffiths . He is 30 years old now and isn’t a long term answer .

he has played two games from Scotland in the last 3 years ,  I suspect he may not be Celtic regular never mind international games. 

Edited by DAVIDB46

5 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

I know we need forwards but I think we need to move on from Leigh Griffiths . He is 30 years old now and isn’t a long term answer .

he has played two games from Scotland in the last 3 years ,  I suspect he may not be Celtic regular never mind international games. 

Cristiano Ronaldo is 35. Age is only an issue if you make it an issue.

A fit Griffiths is miles ahead of any striker we currently have available.

3 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

We don't have enough decent strikers to turn our noses up at what is probably our best striker when fit. Griffiths is only 30 so he should be able to play at a high level for another 3 or 4 years. I would much prefer Griffiths to mcburnie and even dykes. He also takes a good free kick, don't think many of our players are good at that particular skill. 

37 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

We missed Christie, but we made it.  Well done the lads, Robertson had a great game I felt, you could tell his determination from the start. 

Christie has been pretty poor as of late for club and country. Trys too much at times but a good player when he is on it

Didnt think robertson wA great, lost his man on the wing too often and left him in space too. 

The formation just doesn't suit it at all, especially  with no wingers tonight as Robertson and SOD were caught up the park a few times with no.cover.

McGinn was quiet, looked tired and Jack not at his best at all.

Liked Mcburnie and dykes together but there was no support from midfield when the ball was getting launched to them to knock down.

Lack of movement or passing options a lot of the time too when  we got possession

Thought the 3 at the back all played well but still think Mctominey is wasted there, he would be so good in the middle for us.

Ryan Fraser thinks he is a lot better than he is. Makes a lot of poor touches and bad crosses. Was hopeing he would show us what all the big move chat was about.

All in all a dire game and a good team would pump us.

Edited by Kirk
Addition

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

We don't have enough decent strikers to turn our noses up at what is probably our best striker when fit. Griffiths is only 30 so he should be able to play at a high level for another 3 or 4 years. I would much prefer Griffiths to mcburnie and even dykes. He also takes a good free kick, don't think many of our players are good at that particular skill. 

Agreed.

Simple question is will he enhance our striking options? Definitely.

Clarke said in his post-match interview he will now look to add to the squad and you'd think Griffiths will be one of those to be added.

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Absolutely this, 30 is no longer old even for a striker in international terms. Israel had Zahavi playing who's very much their talisman and is 33. Plenty years left in Griffiths if he can sustain himself.

1 minute ago, Kirk said:

Christie has been pretty poor as of late for club and country. Trys too much at times but a good player when he is on it

Didnt think robertson wA great, lost his man on the wing too often and left him in space too. 

The formation just doesn't suit it at all, especially  with no wingers tonight as Robertson and SOD were caught up the park a few times with no.cover.

McGinn was quiet, looked tired and Jack not at his best at all.

Liked Mcburnie and dykes together but there was no support from midfield when the ball was getting launched to them to knock down.

Lack of movement or passing options a lot of the time too when  we got possession

Thought the 3 at the back all played well but still think Mctominey is wasted there, he would be so good in the middle for us.

All in all a dire game and a good team would pump us.

I said this about Robertson the other day. His strength is in attacking and getting crosses in. The defensive side of things he is not so great in my opinion. However, it os overlooked by his quality crossing and assists.

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

What we could do with is getting mikey Johnston and lewis Morgan in the next squads as we are seriously lacking any flair and creativity. 

Johnston will only be just back in training after months out with a major injury. Next year may be the time we'll see him. Although first he'll need to win back his place in the Celtic first team.

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Johnston will only be just back in training after months out with a major injury. Next year may be the time we'll see him. Although first he'll need to win back his place in the Celtic first team.

As long as he's fit and getting gametime off the bench I would include him. We don't have alot of young talented wingers who can run at ppl and create something from nothing. He's got flair and tricks which is something few of our players if any have. 

Looking through the Serbia first team and substitutes it's clear we are going to big underdogs in this game. Their players and subs all play top flight in France, Italy and Germany. They have a good balance of players for every position as well. It's a big ask for us to beat them if we can't beat Israel at home in normal time.