Scotland vs Israel - Match Thread [08/10/2020] - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Israel - Match Thread [08/10/2020]

Clyde1998

3 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

The Renfrewshire United flag was a blast from the past, not seen that for a long time. What was the name of the boy that used to post on here that was part of it?

He was an attention seeking twat wasn't he? He loved being in the limelight.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

That was tough to watch, only positive was we defended well. Cooper and gallagher did well and kept Israel from getting any clear cut opportunities. The pens were excellent especially under such pressure. 

Yup, Cooper, McTominey  and Gallagher excellent and Marshall in shoot out but not really tested during match. Testemant to his concentration levels for that.

Special shout-out to Gallagher who was probably not going to play a single minute. Cooper and Gallagher were both excellent given the circumstances. Big improvement needed for the game Vs Serbia but hopefully we have a fully fit squad to pick from including Griffiths

If you think about it we are a team in transition tinkering with formations. Israel have a fixed formation and settled team so they know each others tasks etc inside out. They still played the same way when we first played them two years ago. That has to help when you have a settled team and formation. We are still striving for that. They had composure on the ball when building from the back whereas we didn't. Having said that I'd say we carved the better opportunities. Our defence looked better tonight than a month ago and considering the players we had ruled out of the match then just getting through will do for me. I have my doubts we have enough in attack to really hurt Serbia but who knows in a one-off match.

Just now, kumnio said:

He was an attention seeking twat wasn't he? He loved being in the limelight.

I was just going to post, at a home game a number of years ago didn't the lads with the Renfrewshire Utd flag once get into a fight with some other guys regarding who got to put their flag where ?

Dear me, that was a painful watch.

Praise to Steve Woods for his penalty research, and the players for their penalty practice.

Delighted to be through, but fuck me that was even worse than watching Celtic lately, and they've been utterly brutal.

1 minute ago, Rohan said:

Special shout-out to Gallagher who was probably not going to play a single minute. Cooper and Gallagher were both excellent given the circumstances. Big improvement needed for the game Vs Serbia but hopefully we have a fully fit squad to pick from including Griffiths

Yes I thought he had a very good game. Looked solid and had no slip-ups and made some vital clearances and blocks.

5 minutes ago, biffer said:

One of the big problems for me tonight was the quality of balls into the box. The four from dead balls were excellent and the closest we came to scoring, but from wide positions there was only one decent ball into the box in open play, and a string of absolute crap apart from that. 

Exactly,  up till the pens not a single shot on target at home in a knockout game. That's what we've turned into now. 

Lots and lots of problems with that and formation, but I'll try to focus on the positives.

A clean sheet! When did we last have one in a game? And looked reasonably solid/compact at the back. Albeit against Israel, we didn't give them much of a sight on goal and in recent times with Scotland, that's an improvement as we are prone to letting folk in the back door.

We won a knockout type game. All five penalties were brilliant and finished well. Whilst there's been a lot of criticism of the side of late - we are still undefeated - and this will have buoyed the team spirit. Digging in to get the win.

Another month will hopefully bring some fitness to the likes of Fraser, Paterson, and maybe more goals for our strikers. It also means we are likely to have Christie, Armstrong and Tierney back - I'd say Christie and Tierney are vital for any chance we have.

We don't need to worry about Haaland running rings round our defenders. Although they do have Savic and Mitrovic, but still Haaland is probably the hottest young striker in European football and we don't need to worry about him against Gallagher or McKenna.

Player wise

Robertson had one of his better games in recent times. A lot of driving runs, decent crosses and grabbed the game by the neck a bit. Desperately wants to do well for his country and passionate.

Fraser was good when he came on. He adds something new to our style of play. Not so sure about his diving though, but he did a lot when came on and hopefully he'll have a few more games/fitness when we play in November. Same about Paterson, thought he did very well and again, looks a wee bity unfit so fingers crossed for game time in the next few weeks.

McGinn played alright, but one of his weaker games for Scotland which shows you how vital a player he is.

Stephen O'Donnell - love the guy, seems a very nice and top dude ; but he's just no good enough at this level. I don't think the answer is Liam Palmer either, but SOD whilst he has a good pass and works hard, he's found out at this level.

Marshall - a solid enough keeper, and we all need to thank him for that save ; but every single time his punts up the field are straight to an opposition shirt. It's a bit disheartening that 90% of his punts up front are to the other side.

McBurnie - sorry, I don't see it. He worked a bit harder, and had one moment ; but he's a waste of a jersey. I thought Shankland again did more with less service in his time up there. Dykes was alright, but he's probably not going to be good enough at this level but a useful squad player.

There are lots of issues, but I think if we compared this game to the last Israel one at Hampden we actually played better tonight which is a huge worry.

I think Serbia will be too tough a game for us, but if we can shitfest it to a penalty shoot out e.g noticed Northern Ireland just punted Bosnia out then who knows.

Anyhoos, job done very ugly and unconvincing at huge spells, but job done for the noo.

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I was just going to post, at a home game a number of years ago didn't the lads with the Renfrewshire Utd flag once get into a fight with some other guys regarding who got to put their flag where ?

Yep, I definitely recall something like that.

They used to turn up as early as Hampden opened to get the saddest, sorry, best spot. But someone beat them to it once.

I mind him being interviewed, its not about us, its about uniting Rangers and Celtic through us being one team, the blue and green brings us together, blah, blah, vomit, vomit

16 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Not sure about that. This team have the ability to put Israel away... We've seen them do it.

Then we appointed Chripper as manager....

It was more the effort and passion of the team in Italy I was thinking of  rather than ability  . But yes, totally agree about Chripper tactics 🙄

Cant fault the penalties though 😊