Problems Problems Problems - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Problems Problems Problems

Caledonian Craig

Of course we have a massive play-off just a few days away and we have our injury concerns with the likes of Palmer injured as well as McKenna.

However, we are not the only ones with problems. Nir Bitton looks certain to be ruled out for Israel and apparently Maccabi Tel-Aviv left ten players out of a European tie against Red Bull Salzberg due to corona. None of them were Israel internationals but if they have not been effective with self-isolation then who knows. Also they have (no doubt) their own injury concerns.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Of course we have a massive play-off just a few days away and we have our injury concerns with the likes of Palmer injured as well as McKenna.

However, we are not the only ones with problems. Nir Bitton looks certain to be ruled out for Israel and apparently Maccabi Tel-Aviv left ten players out of a European tie against Red Bull Salzberg due to corona. None of them were Israel internationals but if they have not been effective with self-isolation then who knows. Also they have (no doubt) their own injury concerns.

The amount of players we had sitting on the bench over the weekend is a major worry.

Looking at how much everyone's played this weekend, assuming the Rangers players, Robertson and McGinn play the full 90 minutes - 14 players will have played full matches, two started a match before being subbed off, five (including Palmer, who was subbed off again with a knock) would've been subbed on, two would've been on the bench and not played (assumes McTominay doesn't come on for Man Utd) and one would've been completely absent from the squad. Of course, the two Motherwell lads had their game postponed and probably would've played the full 90.

In terms of minutes, we'd've seen our players play 72% of available minutes. Among the first XI against the Czech Republic, only 56% of minutes would've been played, however I'd imagine Ryan Jack and John McGinn would start ahead of Kenny McLean and John Fleck respectively, should both be fit (which will take the figure towards 67%).

If the players who were absent/on the bench/were subbed on were carrying knocks and that means they'll be fit for the internationals, then I'd prefer that to them playing and worsening any injuries they may be carrying.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

The amount of players we had sitting on the bench over the weekend is a major worry.

It's unlikely they will get injured sitting on the bench, although I wouldn't be surprised if some of them still manage to do it.

What is the situation with Porteous? He is suspended from the under 21s that's supposedly why he is with the main squad.

Does the suspension carry over into other internationals or only at under 21 level?

Might just be there to give the lowdown on the Hibs goalie.

There are some positives to this squad. Tierney, cooper, armstrong and mcginn should be full of confidence, especially mcginn.

If he goes with three at the back its got to be mckenna, cooper and tierney, we cannot waste a talent like mctominay at CB.

9 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Well, now we have Armstrong testing positive and, because he was intimate with Christie and Tierney, they have to drop out too.

McKenna, Palmer and Burke injured for all 3 games now. Was feeling positive but now I cannot see us winning.

The biggest losses will be the three out due to self-isolating. Armstrong though probably would not have started - I think McGregor would start in that slot. Tierney would have started most probably in a back three so that may see that formation binned which would be a plus point. Christie would have started but of late for us has been a bit meh. Its a blow but not a fatal one.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The biggest losses will be the three out due to self-isolating. Armstrong though probably would not have started - I think McGregor would start in that slot. Tierney would have started most probably in a back three so that may see that formation binned which would be a plus point. Christie would have started but of late for us has been a bit meh. Its a blow but not a fatal one.

Exactly...while it's never good to lose any player that would have likely featured, the only one that I'd say is an elite player is KT and even then we are fucking about with formations to include him.

1 minute ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Exactly...while it's never good to lose any player that would have likely featured, the only one that I'd say is an elite player is KT and even then we are fucking about with formations to include him.

And the match will be about goalscoring. We need goals and our best goal threat is John McGinn who will no doubt start and midfield to partner him could be made up of McGregor, McTominay and Fraser. That is not too shabby at all.