Squad for upcoming games - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad for upcoming games

loanhead-tartan

Whilst the Czechs are a decent side, looking at their last few results over the months and years, they are in somewhat of a transition too and not as formidable as they used to be.

This is a massive game for us for many reasons.

* Keep the momentum going and go in to the Serb game 8 games undefeated.

* 4pts clear with 2 games to go in the Nations League ; if we win the group, we are close to having a WC playoff spot guaranteed along with being promoted to League A for the next NL campaign - which may end us getting pumped by Spain, Germany and Belgium BUT it'll will near enough as well give us a Euros playoff spot as well. 

*A chance to hopefully improve and work this new system Clarke is trying, and playing against a very decent opposition to see how we do against sides like that.

A massive game and hope the lads are up for one final push before a wee month off and then return for what could be a huge and historical month in November.

Would gladly take a point from the Czechs. Despite them being under strength ( as of course we are) I regard the Czechs as a significantly better outfit than Serbia possessing several players at a very high level. Methinks they will also wish to reverse last month's game in Olomouc.

Expect long periods therefore of the Czechs dominating possession. But if we stay firm with the formation SC is pushing for ( and which he might rehearse tomorrow with Belgrade in mind) we might get a result that will bolster our growing confidence.

Very tough but 1-1 would do nicely. Anything better then the mood of our support will reach levels we haven't seen for many a year.

7 hours ago, Shaundy said:

Most of those ruled out for today will likely be available for Serbia , yes ? 

Hopefully, yes, although some players could pick up knocks over the next few weeks playing for their clubs, of course. Burke, McKenna and Palmer were all ruled out of this triple header with injury, but it’s not really clear how bad those injuries are. Palmer has an issue with his back. Hopefully they’re all relatively minor. Cooper played the full game against Israel then pulled out the squad, suggesting it’s not too serious. Robertson is suspended tonight but not for the Serbia game. Armstrong, Tierney and Christie are having to self-isolate cos of COVID-19 issues and barring injury will all be back. Fleck has dropped out tonight’s squad with a back injury. Forrest is expected to be out for at least another month with an ankle injury (hairline fracture, I think) and will almost certainly miss the game in Belgrade.

I'm trying to think of a time where Scotland could have so many players missing and not be in total meltdown panic stations. We have, arguably, 7 first team players out, and some squad players, and I still think we have a decent chance of getting a victory tonight.

Has there been a time in the past 20 years where we've had this much depth in a squad? Right back aside, I feel like almost every position has at least a couple of decent back ups.

Even looking back to circa 2007 when we were at our strongest, it was really just a core of about 14 or 15 players that we could rely on. Even just 3-4 call offs back then and we'd have been really struggling.

14 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm trying to think of a time where Scotland could have so many players missing and not be in total meltdown panic stations. We have, arguably, 7 first team players out, and some squad players, and I still think we have a decent chance of getting a victory tonight.

Has there been a time in the past 20 years where we've had this much depth in a squad? Right back aside, I feel like almost every position has at least a couple of decent back ups.

Even looking back to circa 2007 when we were at our strongest, it was really just a core of about 14 or 15 players that we could rely on. Even just 3-4 call offs back then and we'd have been really struggling.

Yes, very true. 

14 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I think it might be because we are playing a team that was forced to call up a completely new squad when we played them last month.  

But you make a good point...we do have a bigger group of players to pick from.  I would say that it we have a bunch of players of similar ability for each position.  We have enough good options for 2 teams at left-back and in midfield.  The have lots of fairly average players for goalkeeper, right-back, centre-back and up-front.  

Marshall

Mctominay Gallagher. Consadine

McGinn.    Mclean.      McGregor.      Taylor

McGinn

Dykes.        Fraser

Also think O'Donnell and Jack could be starters instead of mcginn and mclean but as long as whoever plays realises this is a really important game and are 100% up for it. 

8 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think it might be because we are playing a team that was forced to call up a completely new squad when we played them last month.  

But you make a good point...we do have a bigger group of players to pick from.  I would say that it we have a bunch of players of similar ability for each position.  We have enough good options for 2 teams at left-back and in midfield.  The have lots of fairly average players for goalkeeper, right-back, centre-back and up-front.  

That is true about the Czechs, but I'm more talking in general. Other than playing against the top tier teams, I feel like the depth in our squad can cover for myriad call offs and not look much weaker. Losing Marshall would be the 1 position I'd be concerned about for any game.

Even looking at the players that weren't called up gives me hope. The likes of Morgan, Russell, GMS, Hickey, Griffiths, and a bunch of U21 players, could easily step into this squad and add something. Clarke is in a very fortunate position, compared to his predecessors. 

12 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Marshall

Mctominay Gallagher. Consadine

McGinn.    Mclean.      McGregor.      Taylor

McGinn

Dykes.        Fraser

Also think O'Donnell and Jack could be starters instead of mcginn and mclean but as long as whoever plays realises this is a really important game and are 100% up for it. 

Be surprised - in the interests of continuity - if Jack and SOD do not start; otherwise the team pretty much picks itself. I'd only be concerned if we concede the first goal - not sure how we would deal with that.

26 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Marshall

Mctominay Porteous gallagher

O donnell.                                  Taylor

McGregor mclean

Mcginn

Shankland dykes 

We'd be mental to leave Fraser out.  We are already missing too much quality to start leaving out our most talented player. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I would not be unhappy with that line-up considering who we have left available.

I think it's slightly better than what we put out in the last match.  Whilst Taylor is a downgrade on Robertson; McGregor and Jack are better players than McLean and Fleck.  

8 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Newcastle Utd

Aye, that'll be one of them. I saw that Steve Bruce was already moaning befoer the games were played something like "I'm sure sure Scotland will do the right thing with Ryan (long pause) ". 

Steve Clarke's response should be something like this

Steve Clarke is not expecting to enter new contract talks any time soon |  Daily Mail Online

48 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Aye, that'll be one of them. I saw that Steve Bruce was already moaning befoer the games were played something like "I'm sure sure Scotland will do the right thing with Ryan (long pause) ". 

Steve Clarke's response should be something like this

Steve Clarke is not expecting to enter new contract talks any time soon |  Daily Mail Online

Or this    

octopus finger.jpg