Fishing.... - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Thought I would start a thread on this topic. Anyone an avide fisherman? I am going up the St.Lawrence river for Musky (muskellunge) part of the Pike family today. I have been a avide fisherman over 30 years now, mostly Bass, as we owned a caravan on a bass lake. I absolutely love it. Used to go every weekend when I could. Now with Covid, and most sports and activities being cancelled, I have been getting back into it as I know the good spots to fish and great thing is nobody else around. I have all the fishing gear you could imagine from over the years, really enjoying it again. Anyone else in Scotland, or anywhere for that matter fish? I would imagine most of the recreational fishing in Scottish rivers and lochs would be salmon or trout? 🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Thought I would start a thread on this topic. Anyone an avide fisherman? I am going up the St.Lawrence river for Musky (muskellunge) part of the Pike family today. I have been a avide fisherman over 30 years now, mostly Bass, as we owned a caravan on a bass lake. I absolutely love it. Used to go every weekend when I could. Now with Covid, and most sports and activities being cancelled, I have been getting back into it as I know the good spots to fish and great thing is nobody else around. I have all the fishing gear you could imagine from over the years, really enjoying it again. Anyone else in Scotland, or anywhere for that matter fish? I would imagine most of the recreational fishing in Scottish rivers and lochs would be salmon or trout? 🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Not been fishing in a long time. When i was younger i used to spend a lot of time fishing on Loch Fyne, great uncle had a caravan and boat there, usually mackerel. My Grandfather also had a boat down in Inverkip and spent many a day out with him, happy times, miss it.

50 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Not been fishing in a long time. When i was younger i used to spend a lot of time fishing on Loch Fyne, great uncle had a caravan and boat there, usually mackerel. My Grandfather also had a boat down in Inverkip and spent many a day out with him, happy times, miss it.

That's brilliant pal. The one thing about fishing is the memories. I am sure the scenery was lovely. I remember ma Dad taking me on a fishing boat somewhere in Scotland when I was a wee boy. No idea where it was, but the feeling never goes away.. I would love to go fly fishing next time I am over...

Me and the wee man took up fishing in the summer. With lockdown and no kids fitba he asked me to take him out. Had never been fishing in my puff before! Really enjoyed it, been out a few times now and he has his own rod and some gear. We go to Kailzie Fishery near Peebles. Didn’t realise you need to batter the fish on the heid - I thought you just landed it and let it suffocate (if that’s the right word?) in the net!

Also took up golf. 

And got a puppy a’naw!

I have never been proper fishing, its not really something you see women doing is it? Dont know why, probably those maggots. Urgh , dont think i could touch them. 

I only remember fishing with a wee net on the rocks in Millport when I was young. I think my warm memories are  probably rosier than it actually was right enough as I dont ever remember catching anything other than some seaweed and the odd crab. Then I would shite myself and drop my net as I was scared of them.  

I seems quite a relaxing thing to do though. 

22 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

You will be able to take your own grandson out in a few years 😊

17 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Me and the wee man took up fishing in the summer. With lockdown and no kids fitba he asked me to take him out. Had never been fishing in my puff before! Really enjoyed it, been out a few times now and he has his own rod and some gear. We go to Kailzie Fishery near Peebles. Didn’t realise you need to batter the fish on the heid - I thought you just landed it and let it suffocate (if that’s the right word?) in the net!

Also took up golf. 

And got a puppy a’naw!

Thats nice you took him fishing. It’s a wee bit different and better than stuck on the couch playing xbox.  The weather has generally been pretty good this summer which will have make a difference.
I cannot see the attraction of fishing in the rain .

I dont think I could batter the fish’s head though, those wee eyes looking up at me. Unless it looked like Michael Gove, then I would have no problem. 

7 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Hope so. Been face timing my son and amazed how much the wean has changed in 3 months. Maybe start him with a gold fish. 🐠

Thats a tropical fish you have posted, what kind of fisherman are you ?  You canny put that in a bowl or it will die 😁 

I was almost in your neck of the woods yesterday. I am in a walkathon challenge and walked from BoW to Kilmacolm and back to try and get some steps. Nearly killed me. Canny see the attraction of walking , think I would prefer fishing. 

35 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Thats a tropical fish you have posted, what kind of fisherman are you ?  You canny put that in a bowl or it will die 😁 

I was almost in your neck of the woods yesterday. I am in a walkathon challenge and walked from BoW to Kilmacolm and back to try and get some steps. Nearly killed me. Canny see the attraction of walking , think I would prefer fishing. 

Type of fisherman who doesn't like fish. I went through B.O.W on my scooter the other day, better than walking.😉

55 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I cycled up that way a couple of weeks ago. First time I've used the cycle path from Johnstone to Port Glasgow, great wee path.

46 minutes ago, bonzo said:

I cycled up that way a couple of weeks ago. First time I've used the cycle path from Johnstone to Port Glasgow, great wee path.

You might have passed me as thats also the path I run on. I would have been the very slow pensioner. Infact a cyclist actually stopped his bike to talk to me a couple of weeks ago but I had no idea who it was he had a helmet and sunglasses on. He called me Mary which is not my name so I just smiled and ran on hoping he didnt chase me. Loads of cyclists use the path, and its good for running as its nice and flat with no scary hills. 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

You might have passed me as thats also the path I run on. I would have been the very slow pensioner. Infact a cyclist actually stopped his bike to talk to me a couple of weeks ago but I had no idea who it was he had a helmet and sunglasses on. He called me Mary which is not my name so I just smiled and ran on hoping he didnt chase me. Loads of cyclists use the path, and its good for running as its nice and flat with no scary hills. 

24 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

That's were i walk the dog. Plenty of cyclists use the path (known as track locally). My back garden leads on to the cycle track.

Next time I'm over that way yous can get the kettle on 👍

1 hour ago, bonzo said:

Next time I'm over that way yous can get the kettle on 👍

No problem. I an still waiting for a slice of Mrs Lairdy’s delicious victoria sandwich so he can bring that. 

1 hour ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

No problem. You need to be careful in that B.O.W area, full of dodgy people. Lower Kilmacolm (Port Glasgow) is more respectable.

😁

When we were walking to Kilmacolm taking in  the nature we stopped for a moment and heard blasting music coming from somewhere. All of a sudden a cyclist appeared and Whatever You Want by Status Quo was blaring out from his bike , he must have had a speaker on it. It was pretty random you dont usually encounter mobile discos on the cycle path. 
 He was heading towards Kilmacolm and I was thinking ‘ they are no going to like that in Kilmacolm’. . Mr Tidy said ‘well at least he is being safe as walkers will hear him coming’.

We were on our way back, I was in a mood cause the only pub in Kilmacolm had no tables and the 2 cafes were closing. I had to settle for a co-op sandwich , and all of a sudden I was almost run over by the Status Quo cyclist, still playing Whatever You Want. He appeared from nowhere. He must have got chased out  of Kilmacolm for anti social behaviour and was heading back to BoW.  I got the fright of my life. My wee fitbit actually buzzed. I needed a very large glass of wine to settle my nerves when I got back. So much for hearing him coming. 

Ramy, sorry for hijacking  your  thread. Just passing some time till a fisherman appears. 

Just now, TDYER63 said:

No problem. I an still waiting for a slice of Mrs Lairdy’s delicious victoria sandwich so he can bring that. 

😁

When we were walking to Kilmacolm taking in  the nature we stopped for a moment and heard blasting music coming from somewhere. All of a sudden a cyclist appeared and Whatever You Want by Status Quo was blaring out from his bike , he must have had a speaker on it. It was pretty random you dont usually encounter mobile discos on the cycle path. 
 He was heading towards Kilmacolm and I was thinking ‘ they are no going to like that in Kilmacolm’. . Mr Tidy said ‘well at least he is being safe as walkers will hear him coming’.

We were on our way back, I was in a mood cause the only pub in Kilmacolm had no tables and the 2 cafes were closing. I had to settle for a co-op sandwich , and all of a sudden I was almost run over by the Status Quo cyclist, still playing Whatever You Want. He appeared from nowhere. He must have got chased out  of Kilmacolm for anti social behaviour and was heading back to BoW.  I got the fright of my life. My wee fitbit actually buzzed. I needed a very large glass of wine to settle my nerves when I got back. So much for hearing him coming. 

Ramy, sorry for hijacking  your  thread. Just passing some time till a fisherman appears. 

My step-son peddles that route, not a Quo fan though. Back to fishing. Is there no fish in the Gryffe, close to B.O.W.

15 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

My step-son peddles that route, not a Quo fan though. Back to fishing. Is there no fish in the Gryffe, close to B.O.W.

One of the few upsides of this walkathon is that I am walking places I have never been and could not believe there is a lovely walk alongside the River Gryffe just 5 mins from my house. I have lived there for 11 years as well.
Unfortunately though there are signs up saying the waters are private so the great unwashed are no allowed to fish. I would probably be safe with a wee fishing net right enough ...

I am going to take my niece and nephew there. They will love it. I remember when I was young my granpa took my brother and I to the Gleniffer braes every weekend , it seemed like a big adventure when we were just 6 or 7.