Last Time We Had Back-to-Back Penalties - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Last Time We Had Back-to-Back Penalties

Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

It certainly happened back in 1981 - England and Sweden.  Not long before these matches we got 2 in the same game v Israel as well.  Not sure if it's happened since.

The said that on the radio on Monday, first penalties in consecutive games since 1981!

1 hour ago, Catchart Circle said:

Two in `home' game with Malta in 1993- one missed and one netted at Ibrox.

Ditto for East Germany at Hampden in '74.

Both results were also the same, 3-0 home wins.

We  were  also awarded a pen in the next game after the East German match V Spain at Hampden in '74.

But the least said about that the better.

9 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

We  were  also awarded a pen in the next game after the East German match V Spain at Hampden in '74.

But the least said about that the better.

Tell us more, all I can see from that game online is the result. 

94,000 crowd on a November midweek night, the post World Cup bounce must've been at its peak!

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Yes, Boyd and Miller. 

We might have had another penalty as well and missed it? Or, I might have just dreamt that bit? 

Nah, but Miller’s pen was a shocker. He even ran away celebrating screwing up his face and making a wafting gesture as the pen was a right stinker!

16 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

I guess it begs a couple of questions:

Who has scored the most penalties for Scotland?

Who has missed penalties for Scotland?

As for the latter, Darren Fletcher v Lithuania springs immediately to mind.

One of the worst missed penalties ever by our greatest ever player. Made a total arse of himself before he took it as well. 7 minutes in -

47 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

John Hewie missed two penalty kicks for Scotland in the late 1950s.

Going back as far as 1972 Willie Morgan missed twice from the spot. After this it was an unwritten rule that if you missed a penalty in a Scotland jersey you never took another.

Rioch, Hutchison, Bremner and Jardine all missed and got no second chance with someone else was designated as the taker.

McAllister missed twice V Malta and England. In between those fixtures Nevin scored from the spot V Estonia but, significantly, McAllister did not take part in that game.

In a vital World Cup qualifier in Belarus 12 months after Euro 96 there were no goals into the second half when we were awarded a penalty.

Gary Mac used his captains privelige  to take the kick, presumably to make him feel better after Wembley.

Although he scored I never thought of him the same after that as he was arguably gambling our qualification chances against his ego.

Had we been a couple of goals ahead I would have had no problem with him taking a pen but not at 0-0 and that stage of the game.

Of course the most important thing is he scored and we went to France and as Nevin did not play in Minsk there was perhaps no other obvious candidate.

Edited by Catchart Circle

2 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

Going back as far as 1972 Willie Morgan missed twice from the spot. After this it was an unwritten rule that if you missed a penalty in a Scotland jersey you never took another.

Rioch, Hutchison, Bremner and Jardine all missed and got no second chance with someone else was designated as the taker.

McAllister missed twice V Malta and England. In between those fixtures Nevin scored from the spot V Estonia but, significantly, McAllister did not take part in that game.

In a vital World Cup qualifier in Belarus 12 months after Euro 96 there were no goals into the second half when we were awarded a penalty.

Gary Mac used his captains privelige  to take the kick, presumably to make him feel better after Wembley.

Although he scored I never thought of him the same after that as he was arguably gambling our qualification chances against his ego.

Had we been a couple of goals ahead I would have had no problem with him taking a pen but not at 0-0 and that stage of the game.

Of course the most important thing is he scored and we went to France and as Nevin did not play in Minsk there was perhaps no other obvious candidate.

Eh?? If he NEVER stood up against Belarus folk would just have a go at him for being a shitebag. Fuck all to do with his ego. As the captain he took responsibility - even with Wembley hanging over him. The pressure in Belarus must’ve been huge as he put the ball on the spot.
Shamefully hounded out by sections of the Scotland fans. 

3 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

That's nothing Don Masson missed one and never got another game. :lol:

He was passed his best by that stage right enough.

58 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Eh?? If he NEVER stood up against Belarus folk would just have a go at him for being a shitebag. Fuck all to do with his ego. As the captain he took responsibility - even with Wembley hanging over him. The pressure in Belarus must’ve been huge as he put the ball on the spot.
Shamefully hounded out by sections of the Scotland fans. 

I disagree. He even made a comment after the game that it had made up for Wembley.

Nobody would have called him a shitebag if Durie- who was taking penalties for his club at the time - or anyone else taken the kick. Whey would they as he had already missed twice from the spot.

Do you seriously think it is okay for someone to take such a vital kick when he had missed the last two?

And just for the record I never booed McAllisiter - but understand why some fans did.

It amazes me how some people rewrite history and I suspect some of his defenders today were amongst his critics at the time.

Don't you remember the lack of sympathy when he was injured ahead of France 98?

McAllister was a good, even great player for Scotland, but he was not a good captain.

He wanted to take everything, every free kick, corner and penalty.

I recall a debate on Off The Ball about when he was christened `ma ba' McAlllister' and how the lack of sympathy for his World Cup withdrawal was a reaction to the belief that no matter what there were no circumstances under which Craig Brown would remove him from the captaincy which many felt he took to extremes with his insistence on taking of all the set pieces.

19 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Remember Fletcher taking the ball and thinking why the fuck is he anywhere near a penalty

2 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

Do you seriously think it is okay for someone to take such a vital kick when he had missed the last two?

And just for the record I never booed McAllisiter - but understand why some fans did.

It amazes me how some people rewrite history and I suspect some of his defenders today were amongst his critics at the time.

Don't you remember the lack of sympathy when he was injured ahead of France 98?

McAllister was a good, even great player for Scotland, but he was not a good captain.

He wanted to take everything, every free kick, corner and penalty.

I recall a debate on Off The Ball about when he was christened `ma ba' McAlllister' and how the lack of sympathy for his World Cup withdrawal was a reaction to the belief that no matter what there were no circumstances under which Craig Brown would remove him from the captaincy which many felt he took to extremes with his insistence on taking of all the set pieces.

Yes, if the taker feels confident he absolutely should take the next penalty. He might’ve missed the last two but overall he was an excellent penalty taker (32 scored out of 35). 

He wanted to take every free kick, penalty and corner as his delivery was exceptional - he did that for all his clubs too, including well into his mid 30s as he won multiple trophies with Liverpool. 

As for Off The Ball, I’m no sure something that is ‘petty and ill-informed’ is a good barometer for a serious debate.