11? - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

11?

GaryWood34

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think the defensive make-up is not so ultra-critical as I think Israel attack pretty infrequently but are potent on the counter-attack. Our philosophy should be to score more goals than them. To do that we have to have an attacking look to the side - two up front with McGinn tucked in behind....something like this:-

Marshall

Patterson.......................................Cooper.................................Porteous........................................Robertson

......................Fraser.............................Armstrong........................................McTominey..........................

............................................................McGinn............................................................................................

......................................Dykes........................................Shankland

Might want to swap out Armstrong as he has the covid.

Definite argument for that front 3 though

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think the defensive make-up is not so ultra-critical as I think Israel attack pretty infrequently but are potent on the counter-attack. Our philosophy should be to score more goals than them. To do that we have to have an attacking look to the side - two up front with McGinn tucked in behind....something like this:-

Marshall

Patterson.......................................Cooper.................................Porteous........................................Robertson

......................Fraser.............................Armstrong........................................McTominey..........................

............................................................McGinn............................................................................................

......................................Dykes........................................Shankland

Armstrong is out. 

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Positive thoughts: As long as John McGinn plays we still have a chance - a small one - but still a chance nonetheless.

Another thought. If we cannot win tonight we don't deserve to qualify and Norway/Serbia would have chewed us up and spat us out anyway next month.

The three players out due to COVID-19 you cannot call game changing players. Armstrong I don't think would have started anyway, Tierney is not a goal-getter and him missing out may help as in forcing us to go back to four at the back which we look more comfortable with. Christie in form of a year ago is a loss but on recent performances is not too big a loss.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

46 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Positive thoughts: As long as John McGinn plays we still have a chance - a small one - but still a chance nonetheless.

It’s hardly a small chance ffs. We have beaten Israel and drawn with them over the last couple of years without Tierney and a few other players who withdrew due to injury.

Israel are missing a few players as well. 

We still have a very good chance of going through tonight. It certainly won’t be easy but to say we only have a small chance is pretty negative. 

Completely agree with you, Texas. They have been hit hard with the virus, too.

Two of Israel’s starting 11 last month in the 1-1 draw are oot with COVID-19: left-back Tawatha and cm Peretz, both of whom played well against us. Three more from the bench in that match are oot with the virus, too: Cohen, who is striker/attacking midfielder and came on, as did midfielder Dan Glazer, and Rikan, who plays full-back or as a midfielder on the flanks, was on the bench.
Bitton is also a major doubt with injury, although he trained yesterday, apparently, and yesterday, one of the Israeli news feeds I’ve been monitoring, said they’d lost another squad player (who wasn’t in last month’s squad) to the virus. Loai Tapa, a centre half with 12 caps in the last couple of years, who would probably replace Bitton if he doesn’t make it. 

So they’re a bit depleted, but have a PSV player, Zahavi, (who scores against us and at international level for fun) and a Hoffenheim player, Dabour, up front with a strong third striker on the bench, Weissman, who plays in Austria for Wolfsberger, and last year was in La Liga with Real Valladolid.

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s hardly a small chance ffs. We have beaten Israel and drawn with them over the last couple of years without Tierney and a few other players who withdrew due to injury.

Israel are missing a few players as well. 

We still have a very good chance of going through tonight. It certainly won’t be easy but to say we only have a small chance is pretty negative. 

One week ago I was really confident about this match.

But after the six withdrawals yesterday, I'm now resigned to the inevitable 1-0 or 2-1 to Israel. :(

9 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

But after the six withdrawals yesterday, I'm now resigned to the inevitable 1-0 or 2-1 to Israel. :(

Of the six withdrawals:-

Armstrong - unlikely to have started the match.

Tierney- definite starter but would have meant shitty three at the back again so it may benefit us in an odd way.

Christie - probable starter and on last year's form a loss but on recent form for us then no big loss.

Palmer - going by several posters on here  - no loss. 

McKenna - not been rock solid for us. Maybe a loss maybe not.

11 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

But after the six withdrawals yesterday, I'm now resigned to the inevitable 1-0 or 2-1 to Israel.  

The only disastrous withdrawal is Tierney and the system Clarke would use to fit him in wasn’t working anyway. 

3-1 to the boys in dark blue. 

You heard it here first. 

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Of the six withdrawals:-

Armstrong - unlikely to have started the match.

Tierney- definite starter but would have meant shitty three at the back again so it may benefit us in an odd way.

Christie - probable starter and on last year's form a loss but on recent form for us then no big loss.

Palmer - going by several posters on here  - no loss. 

McKenna - not been rock solid for us. Maybe a loss maybe not.

Seems odd but I agree Tierney not playing might actually be a blessing in disguise if Clarke goes back to 4 at the back which surely he must? 

My main worry is actually McKenna because it means Gallagher or Porteous will need to parter Cooper (assuming Cooper is fit to start tonight). Not that McKenna has been great for us but he does at least have a few games under his belt. I’m not sure tonight is the best game for handing a debut to Porteous. 

40 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The only disastrous withdrawal is Tierney and the system Clarke would use to fit him in wasn’t working anyway. 

3-1 to the boys in dark blue. 

You heard it here first. 

7 of our 10 outfield could be EPL players, and McGregor. Right back and cente half is our problem. Would like to see him play 4-3-3, which could easily be a 4-5-1. Jack, McGregor and Fleck more as a defense minded 3. Fraser and McGinn further forward to support a striker. Agree with 3-1.

With the amount of disruption caused to the squad ( particularly the right side of defence) I feel it's important that we minimise the upheaval. Therefore it surely makes sense to play the Motherwell team mates O' Donnell and Gallagher in these 2 positions--- moreso as they play in the self same positions for their club and are in tune with each other.

Gallagher we should remember showed up well last season in his 2 caps whilst O' Donnell's DNA is that of a right back . Also Clarke knows his strengths/ weaknesses from their time together at Kilmarnock

Yes their club ain't doing great at the moment but that shouldn't be held against them as there are other factors to explain the club's erratic form.

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

I'd be starting McBurnie. Dykes isn't an international class player & McBurnie should be champing at the bit to prove himself. 

I think Dykes’ performances in the two games he’s played have been the best we’ve had from a striker since Kenny Miller and I suppose some of Fletcher’s games. I also wouldn’t underestimate the Australian winning mentality. 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

I'd be starting McBurnie. Dykes isn't an international class player & McBurnie should be champing at the bit to prove himself. 

McBurnie hasn’t exactly proven himself to be international class either.

From what I’ve seen of McBurnie he tends to play well in a front 2 but isn’t much use up top on his own.

If Clarke plays one up front then I’d be shocked if Dykes didn’t start. 

International class - what does that even mean?  We have to call up our best players in a combination to field 11 outfield players and the 5 subs on a typical matchday - if those 16 players are less than the standard of Italy, Spain or Armenia - its the best we have, and we cant moan at WHO we have, we need to develop better and that development starts years before. If people are saying we wouldn't call up the likes of McBurnie because he isn't international class, he might not be that great, but he is one of the best we have available.  At some point there may be a decision, do you take a youngster in knowing the exposure and experience will pay off down the road or do you call up someone like McBurnie with more domestic experience and settle for that - that's a debate I would welcome.  

Edited by romanticscot

3 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

International class - what does that even mean?  We have to call up our best players in a combination to field 11 outfield players and the 5 subs on a typical matchday - if those 16 players are less than the standard of Italy, Spain or Armenia - its the best we have, and we cant moan at WHO we have, we need to develop better and that development starts years before. 

Yeah this has been discussed before. It doesn’t really mean anything. 

I mean San Marino field the best 11 players they have so they are technically international class. They are rank rotten though. 

Well over half of all international teams are pretty poor compared with France, Belgium and Brazil etc. 

Dykes has been as good as any of the strikers we’ve had for a couple of years so he deserves to keep his place in my opinion. 

Andorra's U21s got a draw with England last night. Are they international class? In Andorra, and maybe England, they are. International class varies over time. In Scotland, it's not a high bar right noo.

Hope it goes well tonight and naebody else gets the lurgy. And Neil Dumbcaster couldnae understand why crowds weren't being allowed...

I will probably change once the game starts, and be absolutely gutted if we do crash out tonight ; but I'm not feeling the hype/stress or pressure of this game. And then the thought of going to Belgrade or Oslo, looks very very hard, if we do get through tonight.

A mixture of Covid, depleted squad, and no fans has me a bit scunnered. I'm even a bit worried that next year's tournament will be played beyond closed doors or with 40% capacity etc if there's no vaccine or Covid 19 hasn't run its course.

Still ,let's see what happens I suppose.

:

Marshall

Paterson/SOD Cooper Gallagher Robertson

McTominay Jack

Fraser McGinn McGregor

Dykes

Edited by weekevie04

2 hours ago, marinello said:

With the amount of disruption caused to the squad ( particularly the right side of defence) I feel it's important that we minimise the upheaval. Therefore it surely makes sense to play the Motherwell team mates O' Donnell and Gallagher in these 2 positions--- moreso as they play in the self same positions for their club and are in tune with each other.

Gallagher we should remember showed up well last season in his 2 caps whilst O' Donnell's DNA is that of a right back . Also Clarke knows his strengths/ weaknesses from their time together at Kilmarnock

Yes their club ain't doing great at the moment but that shouldn't be held against them as there are other factors to explain the club's erratic form.

As a Motherwell fan, I'd have neither anywhere near the pitch tonight

Based on two games I've seen Dykes for us and compare that with the games I've seen McBurnie, I would take Dykes....that being said McBurnie has been starved of service and I dont blame him for issues behind him in the team.  I believe we will be fine today, McTominay, McGinn, Marshall, Cooper will have calm heads and help the rest, yes it will be nervy but the team know this is a great opportunity.  I hope Paterson plays today, I think he can make a difference even at right back.