11? - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

11?

GaryWood34

2 minutes ago, exile said:

It's been a long time coming, that's for sure.

It has.  I got fed up going back to work and getting asked how the trip was.  Same reply 90% of the time that everything was great apart from the game.  But hey ho, I believe we have some decent players again and a good manager.

15 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Played right back in the two games that got us to the playoffs. If you know of a right back that could cover Bates at right central defence and allow Forrest the confidence to get forward and score goals let Clarke know. 

Probably easier to make an argument for him not being a striker. 

Against Albania we were playing against 10 men for most of the game, so he wasn't really tested. Against Israel we conceded two goals and Paterson was turned inside out a couple of times - as he is virtually every time he plays right-back for Scotland - and it took outstanding performances from McGregor and Forrest to get us over the line.

He's as much a right-back as McTominay is a centre-half.

7 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Marshall

Patterson     Porteuos     Cooper     Robertson

McGregor        McTominay        McGinn

McLean

McBurnie        Dykes

It really shows that our strength in depth is lacking when you look at the choices here. I'd be happy enough for Jack to be selected (either midfield or RB) but not sure how fit he is right now. Same concerns with Fraser, but not sure he'd fit into this shape in any case.

I think we really need to go with 2 up front. All our strikers are more used to playing in a two for their clubs and we need some presence up there. This is the first time in ages when I've felt that the personnel available supports choosing a front two.

Canny see him going with 2 up front at all

50 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I am not that excited tbh, i think the years of failure have lowered expectations to such low levels that I don't want to get any sort of hope up.

Even if we win this game is there much chance of us beating Norway or even Serbia. 

same, bit fed up of getting my hopes  up for nothing and the last few games have been shite

1 minute ago, bigfingers said:

Marshall

Jack Cooper Porteous Robbo

Mctominay Mcgregor Fleck

Mcginn Dykes Fraser

Frees up McGinn and Fraser to be our creativity. Odonnell will be a serious weakness if he plays.

Would be happy with that looking at the players that are left. One more COVID test today?

2 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Marshall

Jack Cooper Porteous Robbo

Mctominay Mcgregor Fleck

Mcginn Dykes Fraser

Frees up McGinn and Fraser to be our creativity. Odonnell will be a serious weakness if he plays.

How was Porteous before? Trying to remember who he’s played against, was it on that American trip with McLeish?

4 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

How was Porteous before? Trying to remember who he’s played against, was it on that American trip with McLeish?

Porteous is a risk, he might go for gallacher. I think its vital we play Mcginn in an advanced role and not as part of the centre midfield. Him, Fraser and Dykes should be good enough.

Edited by bigfingers

We have to start with a more attacking line-up tonight. Surely, we have played them enough by now to know their tactics. They park the bus and pack their defence and look to hit on swift counters so we are going to get no joy playing a lone striker. Our defence is notoriously shaky so its imperative we score goals tonight. Get in their faces and play two up front with McGinn right in behind them. Go down fighting not wondering.

3 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

People seem to be saying the call offs mean we will be back to a flat back four. Does no one think Clarke will still play 3 at the back, McTominay,Cooper and Gallacher/Porteous?

I sincerely hope not.

We have played Israel twice now. Once with four at the back and once with three at the back and I know which one the players looked more comfortable with and made us look more of an attacking force and it was not with three at the back.

19 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I sincerely hope not.

We have played Israel twice now. Once with four at the back and once with three at the back and I know which one the players looked more comfortable with and made us look more of an attacking force and it was not with three at the back.

Three times with three at the back twice and the first effort in Israel was even worse than the last game.

Looking for the team that day and noticed that before that loss we had gone nearly two years unbeaten in competitive games. Wonder how long the current run will last.

4 minutes ago, GraemeTA said:

With whats left, tonight i would go

Marshall

Patterson  porteous cooper robbo

Jack    fleck     mctominey

Mcginn

Dykes       mcburnie

Defence looks fine. I'd worry about creativity in midfield and would sooner see Fraser in there for Fleck or Jack.

20 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Three times with three at the back twice and the first effort in Israel was even worse than the last game.

Looking for the team that day and noticed that before that loss we had gone nearly two years unbeaten in competitive games. Wonder how long the current run will last.

Agreed.

Israel attack with pace on the counter so midfield is not such a key area for them so I see no need for us to pack that area with say five midfielders. Israel will sit back and allow us to play lateral balls between us where we can do them no damage. We need to go front-loaded.

1 hour ago, The Black Bra said:

People seem to be saying the call offs mean we will be back to a flat back four. Does no one think Clarke will still play 3 at the back, McTominay,Cooper and Gallacher/Porteous?

We could be doing with McTominay in midfield more than ever now surely?

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We have to start with a more attacking line-up tonight. Surely, we have played them enough by now to know their tactics. They park the bus and pack their defence and look to hit on swift counters so we are going to get no joy playing a lone striker. Our defence is notoriously shaky so its imperative we score goals tonight. Get in their faces and play two up front with McGinn right in behind them. Go down fighting not wondering.

I’d go along with this but I don’t think Clarke will play 2 up front. 

We do need to have a right go at them though. In our last match against Israel we never really looked like scoring from open play and got what we deserved due to some dodgy defending.

I’d go as far as saying we may need to score 3 tonight to get a win with the COVID/injury issues we have so we might as well go for it.

I can guarantee one thing - it’s not going to be plain sailing. 

Marshall

jack       Porteous    Cooper    Robertson

Mcginn mctominay  mcgregor     
                                                             Fraser

Dykes mcburnie

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

My team would be 

Mcglaughlin

Patterson cooper porteous robertson

Jack mcgregor

Mcginn mctominey fraser

Shankland/dykes

I wouldn’t argue with most of your line up but get off the fence with your choice of striker man! Who would you play? Has to be Dykes for me. He’s the man with the shirt and has already bagged a couple of goals. 

Your choice of keeper is a bit strange in my humble opinion. McLaughlin has only started one of Rangers last four games and he wasn’t that great in the one he did play. 

Marshall has been pretty solid for Scotland and was outstanding for Derby against Norwich at the weekend. He will start tonight and rightly so (unless anything drastic happens between now and kick off of course). 

I think the defensive make-up is not so ultra-critical as I think Israel attack pretty infrequently but are potent on the counter-attack. Our philosophy should be to score more goals than them. To do that we have to have an attacking look to the side - two up front with McGinn tucked in behind....something like this:-

Marshall

Patterson.......................................Cooper.................................Porteous........................................Robertson

......................Fraser.............................Armstrong........................................McTominey..........................

............................................................McGinn............................................................................................

......................................Dykes........................................Shankland