Jump to content

Time for a little bit of realism:


Recommended Posts

People can talk about systems, tactics, formations. People can talk about sacking Steve Clarke and hope that we replace him with a high quality manager who can motivate players and bring out the every drop of their talent.

None of it matters.

Steve Clarke isn't a bad manager. He's been assistant manager to Mourinho, Dalglish, Gullit. He got WBA their best ever EPL league finish. He knows football. We could have Jurgen Klopp or Pep Guardiola in charge and we'd still labour to beat a Czech league select team. It doesn't matter about tactics and managers. For all intents and purposes, our strongest team is akin to an SPL/English Championship side.

For arguments sake, let's just say that the SPL is the same standard as the English Championship.

Championship/SPL: 7 players. (I'll only count Cooper as an EPL player when he actually plays a minute in the EPL) started on Monday.

Looking at things like that, is it really a surprise that our players look like a bunch of frightened kittens when they face foreign-based players, no matter how talented the foreign players are? Just over a year ago it took us 74 minutes to get our second goal against San Marino.

By club standards, we're bottom half of the table English Championship/SPL.

What do we expect from our players? Passion. We always get passion. What you saw on Friday and Monday is what average players showing passion looks like.

Now, if you're asking for creativity, football intelligence, organized defending, good passing, defence splitting passing and fabulous finishing. Don't hold your breath.

We have no right to expect to beat anyone. And I literally mean anyone. The SFA and all of the Scottish clubs have neglected youth development, for decades. Thankfully, we now have some sort of structure in play, by way of the performance schools, but I'll still be a couple more years before we see the fruits of that work.

In the meantime, for the foreseeable future, expect us to struggle against everyone, because guess what. We're minnows.

Edited by Taylor1996
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:
  • People can talk about systems, tactics, formations. People can talk about sacking Steve Clarke and hope that we replace him with a high quality manager who can motivate players and bring out the every drop of their talent.

None of it matters.

 

It's all that matters.

We all know we aren't world beaters but going by performances Clarke has failed in  every aspect. If you cant see how embarrassing we have become, you haven't been paying attention.

I don't think the current situation could be any worse, the players might not be great but they should be able to put up the sort of resistance, lets say,Reading would against Newcastle. Even lower half EPL teams managed results against top half teams.

We haven't created any thing in any of our games against better opposition

some creativity, football intelligence, organized defending, good passing, defence splitting passing and fabulous finishing would be great and we should expect it

. Some of our players do that on a regular basis at club level. No one can expect it all the time but at the moment it never happens.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank fuck chripper is here to tell us we need to get real and not talk about formations but then talk about formations he likes and then tell us to get real and not talk about formstions and  talk  about formations he likes and then tell us to get real and not talk about formstions and  talk  about formations he likes

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Thank fuck chripper is here to tell us we need to get real and not talk about formations but then talk about formations he likes and then tell us to get real and not talk about formstions and  talk  about formations he likes and then tell us to get real and not talk about formstions and  talk  about formations he likes

Hahahahaha. This is exactly right. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am being real, I expected to play competent football, we have maybe 8 decent players who are playing well for their teams but when we come together we appear to be second guessing our moves, totally pedestrian in attacking play and defending like a bunch of amateurs.  Amazingly we have two play off games are are top of our Nations League, this is in spite of how we have been playing for maybe since Strachan was sacked with the exception of the odd game here or there. I cannot fathom why we have been so sloth like but unfortunately though I was firmly behind his appointment I think our faults lie with Clarke.  You can't treat every game like your playing for a draw.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I am being real, I expected to play competent football, we have maybe 8 decent players who are playing well for their teams but when we come together we appear to be second guessing our moves, totally pedestrian in attacking play and defending like a bunch of amateurs.  Amazingly we have two play off games are are top of our Nations League, this is in spite of how we have been playing for maybe since Strachan was sacked with the exception of the odd game here or there. I cannot fathom why we have been so sloth like but unfortunately though I was firmly behind his appointment I think our faults lie with Clarke.  You can't treat every game like your playing for a draw.  

Norway will cut us a new one m8. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

People can talk about systems, tactics, formations. People can talk about sacking Steve Clarke and hope that we replace him with a high quality manager who can motivate players and bring out the every drop of their talent.

None of it matters.

Steve Clarke isn't a bad manager. He's been assistant manager to Mourinho, Dalglish, Gullit. He got WBA their best ever EPL league finish. He knows football. We could have Jurgen Klopp or Pep Guardiola in charge and we'd still labour to beat a Czech league select team. It doesn't matter about tactics and managers. For all intents and purposes, our strongest team is akin to an SPL/English Championship side.

For arguments sake, let's just say that the SPL is the same standard as the English Championship.

Championship/SPL: 7 players. (I'll only count Cooper as an EPL player when he actually plays a minute in the EPL) started on Monday.

Looking at things like that, is it really a surprise that our players look like a bunch of frightened kittens when they face foreign-based players, no matter how talented the foreign players are? Just over a year ago it took us 74 minutes to get our second goal against San Marino.

By club standards, we're bottom half of the table English Championship/SPL.

What do we expect from our players? Passion. We always get passion. What you saw on Friday and Monday is what average players showing passion looks like.

Now, if you're asking for creativity, football intelligence, organized defending, good passing, defence splitting passing and fabulous finishing. Don't hold your breath.

We have no right to expect to beat anyone. And I literally mean anyone. The SFA and all of the Scottish clubs have neglected youth development, for decades. Thankfully, we now have some sort of structure in play, by way of the performance schools, but I'll still be a couple more years before we see the fruits of that work.

In the meantime, for the foreseeable future, expect us to struggle against everyone, because guess what. We're minnows.

You either don’t understand what minnows are or you’re just being controversial to try and get a reaction.

Minnows don’t tend to finish 3rd in their qualifying group, go 5 matches undefeated or go 4 years undefeated at home in competitive matches. 

There are no minnows in League B of the Nations League. 

Minnows also don’t tend to stay in the top 50 of the world rankings consistently. The top 50 is the top 25% of international teams so you appear to think more than 75% of international teams are minnows. 

There is a level between teams that qualify regularly and minnows and we are at that level. I’d rather be one of the teams that qualify regularly and I’m by no means saying everything is rosy with Scotland but that doesn’t mean we are minnows. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thplinth said:

It is murder. I checked all activity in the morning and the first two pages are just chipper pish. It totally overwhelms the board. The amount of mugs feeding it as well. But he is hun so mod free.

The guy is a complete fucking deadbeat. Offers absolutely zilch. Not one redeeming feature about him or his posts. He's the only cunt I've ever saw fit to block on here. The fact I've now had to block the same tedious arsehole three times says a lot about the current  moderators. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

The guy is a complete fucking deadbeat. Offers absolutely zilch. Not one redeeming feature about him or his posts. He's the only cunt I've ever saw fit to block on here. The fact I've now had to block the same tedious arsehole three times says a lot about the current  moderators. 

There are moderators on here? 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites

(I'm not going to write specific replies, as I didn't really want a reply.)

The crux of the problem is that we're expecting too much of these players. It's not really up for debate. It's a fact.

We should lay off the players as well as the manager and just give them our total support and encouragement.

That'll be my philosophy from now on. I'm just going to enjoy every single point we win. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

(I'm not going to write specific replies, as I didn't really want a reply.)

The crux of the problem is that we're expecting too much of these players. It's not really up for debate. It's a fact.

We should lay off the players as well as the manager and just give them our total support and encouragement.

That'll be my philosophy from now on. I'm just going to enjoy every single point we win. 

If you didn’t want a reply why did you post it? In fact, why do you even come on here? You appear to want to tell us all the gospel according to Chripper but you have no interest in anyone else’s opinion. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything so narcissistic in my life.

You could just write all your thoughts down on a pad? You’re guaranteed not to get any replies then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If you didn’t want a reply why did you post it? In fact, why do you even come on here? You appear to want to tell us all the gospel according to Chripper but you have no interest in anyone else’s opinion. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything so narcissistic in my life.

You could just write all your thoughts down on a pad? You’re guaranteed not to get any replies then. 

Oh, please do take off your goggles and stop being sycophantic.

At least five people wrote unsolicited abuse directed towards me. Tell me why I should have interest in those opinions? Or better yet, don't bother. I have as much interest in those people and their opinion as I do you, and yours.

Only two people: ceudmilefailte and romanticscot, replied with any intelligence, and they actually kept the thread on topic with insightful rebuttals. And that, I respect.

Go it?

Good.

Edited by Taylor1996
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

Oh, please do take off your goggles and stop being sycophantic.

At least five people wrote unsolicited abuse directed towards me. Tell me why I should have interest in those opinions? Or better yet, don't bother. I have as much interest in those people and their opinion as I do you, and yours.

Only two people: ceudmilefailte and romanticscot, replied with any intelligence, and they actually had kept the thread on topic with insightful rebuttals. And that, I respect.

Go it?

Good.

Sycophantic? Do you even know what that means? 

I was asking you why you would post on a forum and not want any replies. Seems very narcissistic if genuine and rather pathetic if not. If you had said you didn’t want abuse then that would make sense but they way you said it is as if you just want to post your opinion and everyone can either agree with it or not reply to it. That’s not how public forums work I’m afraid.

I think you’ll find my reply was quite intelligent. It just wasn’t what you wanted to read, which is fine. I was not abusive in any way.

Here’s a word of advice. If you don’t want any replies to your posts, don’t post. I just won’t read any of your future posts as I may be tempted to reply and it’s really not worth it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Sycophantic? Do you even know what that means? 

At least five people have trolled me (and laughingly failed) and you, by only focussing on my failing, and blatantly ignoring the abuse directed at me, you're pretty much condoning them.

So yes, that constitutes as being sycophantic. You strike me as a very obsequious person. I think you're proved it.. Once more.

Edited by Taylor1996
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

At least five people have trolled me (and laughingly failed) and you, by only focussing on my failing, and blatantly ignoring the abuse directed at me, you're pretty much condoning them.

So yes, that constitutes as being sycophantic. 

That wouldn’t constitute sycophancy and even if it did I haven’t read any of the other posts. Even if I had I am not a moderator so I wouldn’t get involved. 

I don’t give a shit what people think of my posts on here so I don’t tailor them to curry favour with anyone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it actually would: Behaving in a way that will endear you to others. 

Yeah. Well. Read them and then get back to me.

A mob here act like they own the place and they can talk to people how they like. Total keyboard warriors.

See. If I said something like that you'd call me arrogant.

But yeah, back to you.

If you preface a reply with "Maybe you're trying to be controversial", I won't read on. What is it with society these days and disliking honesty?

My opening post is 100% honest and 100% correct. If you don't agree with it, don't ask if I'm writing to get a reaction. I want no reaction.

Edited by Taylor1996
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yeah, it actually would: Behaving in a way that will endear you to others. 

Yeah. Well. Read them and then get back to me.

A mob here act like they own the place and they can talk to people how they like. Total keyboard warriors.

See. If I said something like that you'd call me arrogant.

But yeah, back to you.

If you preface a reply with "Maybe you're trying to be controversial", I won't read on. What is it with society these days and disliking honesty?

My opening post is 100% honest and 100% correct. If you don't agree with it, don't ask if I'm writing to get a reaction. I want no reaction.

I genuinely can’t be arsed reading them. It’s been the same stuff on here for months. I genuinely don’t see what you get out of posting on here (I’m not suggesting that you stop btw, I just don’t get it).

Your post wasn’t anywhere near accurate, particularly the ridiculous part about Scotland being minnows. Posting 100% drivel like that detracts from any credibility the rest of your post may have had. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no way that I'm going to let a few little jumped up internet Nazis stop me from posting. In fact, them giving me so much attention is flattering.

We are minnows. 

It's a case of lack of self-awareness. The sooner we admit our inadequacies, and that we are football minnows, the better.

Personally, I've embraced it and I've enjoyed the previous two matches.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

There's no way that I'm going to let a few little jumped up internet Nazis stop me from posting. In fact, them giving me so much attention is flattering.

We are minnows. 

It's a case of lack of self-awareness. The sooner we admit our inadequacies, and that we are football minnows, the better.

Personally, I've embraced it and I've enjoyed the previous two matches.

I wasn’t suggesting you should. I just don’t understand what you get out of this board.

As I stated in my original reply, you don’t appear to understand what a footballing minnow is and if you think Scotland is one then it is you that has a lack of self-awareness and possibly an inferiority complex as well, much like many Scotland fans. 

If you wish to use the word minnow differently to how everyone uses it in a footballing sense then that’s completely up to you but it’s a little confusing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Backhanded compliments. That's what I get.

We are a footballing minnow. An inferiority complex? Our players ARE inferior. How many of them will end this season with a winner's medal in their hand? 3? (Not including Celtic or Rangers, as trophies won by those two are worthless)

I'm not going to reiterate what I wrote on my opening post. Suffice to say, Israel are 93rd in the World, there's a real possibility that they will beat us in the play-offs.

If losing a playoff to a team ranked 93rd doesn't make us a minnow, then I seriously do not know what would make for a minnow.

The ratings lie. England are above Germany, Spain and Portugal.

Edited by Taylor1996
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...