McTominay and our centre-back options - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

McTominay and our centre-back options

Clyde1998

25 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Biggest plus for me over the two games has been McTominay,he seems to be getting better in the role. 

Been mentioned on here a lot the lack of right footed central defenders available. Is he the answer after all? 

He looked like a fish out of water in the Israel game last month but he’s been decent the last couple of games.

Nor sure what he’ll be like in that position when we face a better quality side though and god knows what we’ll do if he gets injured. 

10 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

What has he done in a Scotland jersey to deserve to be called a liability? 

So he can’t be an accident waiting to happen because the accident hasn’t happened yet? He was by far the shakiest of the centre backs who played this week, and given two who would probably play ahead of him were missing then I thankfully don’t fancy his chances of featuring much in future.

Have to say I'm amazed Considine has never had one senior call up before considering the paucity of options in the position and he's played for an Aberdeen side at least in top quarter of league for last 6-7 years and reasonable european experience compared to many of other CBs.

Nae bad tonight so think he'll remain as squad option for next month.

35 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

So he can’t be an accident waiting to happen because the accident hasn’t happened yet? He was by far the shakiest of the centre backs who played this week, and given two who would probably play ahead of him were missing then I thankfully don’t fancy his chances of featuring much in future.

He’s the captain of an EPL team ffs. 

You obviously don’t like him but that doesn’t mean he’s a poor player. 

Right now, Gallagher has performed for two games - no reason to take him out for me.  McTominay, Gallagher and Tierney at the back - I cant believe I am saying McTominay after only a few weeks ago saying never again should he be back there.  One plus is his distribution is stronger than your typical defender. 

Im still a little bit concerned about mctominay at CB but not concerned enough to want him dropped from that positiion. Thats a big step considering i was seething at him being named as CB again against israel in the semi final 😂😂😂😂

38 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Find it very weird that folk want to put McKenna in ahead of cooper or Gallagher. He has to be behind both of them. 

Really? He's much better than both. 

17 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Gallagher doesn’t look the quickest though. McKenna is fast and that allows us a higher line. 

I don't think hes as quick as McKenna but he's not immobile either. I like a centre half who takes control the way he seems to and balls into our penalty box are like a magnet to his big nut!

Not against McKenna just think he's has same dominance or composure.

9 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Really? He's much better than both. 

Not on the evidence that I've seen.

But I get others have seen much more of McKenna (although probably relatively much less of Gallagher and Cooper). And that may mean they have a more informed or a more biased opinion than me (or both).

But I do think it a wee bit weird that we've just had our most solid defensive performances in years and the reaction is to crack on the McKenna light and change the defence.

I would give serious consideration to sticking with the back 3 as is for the playoffs.

Wonder if Solkjaer has been paying attention to where McTominey has been playing this week? With the defensive problems his team have he might think about playing SMcT there ( I know they normally play four at the back ) but could be a desperate move to change things at OT.

Would be great if SMcT got to play there at PL level.

More likely to be  anew manager at OT who implements it though.

Thought Gallagher was tremendous in both matches, pity he is 27 ish, if he was at this level when he was 22 I could have seen a great future for him. 

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

Mckenna might not find it easy to walk straight back in... Gallachers worth his place. Mctominay and KT alongside him. Crazy that it looked like mckenna and cooper were our first choice CB'S and now potentially neither could play in the play off. 

I think a lot of people are forgetting how solid McKenna looked in the last round of matches. I'm not saying he should necessarily waltz back onto the team sheet. No one is undroppable. But he is almost certainly our future at CB for the next 5+ years. 

It's fantastic that a huge problem position now looks to have at least 5 or 6 reliable options. Dare I say it, but we also could fling in Hanley when he is fit again, if needs must. But, right now, I'm happy seeing Gallagher, McTominay, Tierney, Cooper and McKenna interchanged. And surprisingly I wouldn't mind Considine being used occasionally either.

3 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I think a lot of people are forgetting how solid McKenna looked in the last round of matches. I'm not saying he should necessarily waltz back onto the team sheet. No one is undroppable. But he is almost certainly our future at CB for the next 5+ years. 

It's fantastic that a huge problem position now looks to have at least 5 or 6 reliable options. Dare I say it, but we also could fling in Hanley when he is fit again, if needs must. But, right now, I'm happy seeing Gallagher, McTominay, Tierney, Cooper and McKenna interchanged. And surprisingly I wouldn't mind Considine being used occasionally either.

Its basically the 3 at the back system thats allowing mediocre centre backs a chance to be part of a more cohesive unit and therefore making it easier to defend. Our centre backs are still very average or poor(bar maybe Cooper) and would be exposed if they played in 442 or 451. 

Clarke is making us hard to beat by going for this defensive system which is great. We do however look less likely to score alot of goals. The hope is we can get our more creative players back and look better attacking in games. It's promising signs but I have seen false dawns before and knowing Scotland we could easily go back to looking like absolute shite anytime soon.