McTominay and our centre-back options - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

McTominay and our centre-back options

Clyde1998

Obviously in the past few games Steve Clarke has played Scott McTominay as part of a centre-back trio. The two goals we conceded in both games came from situations where a more established cente-back would've probably done better than McTominay and there were chances both Israel and Czech Rep had that came from poor defensive positioning or awareness from McTominay (iirc).

Declan Gallagher was the only centre-back option in the squad who wasn't used in either game. Given that he appears to be our only (available) senior centre-back option, it's worrying that McTominay is preferred over him in that position. I'd imagine Grant Hanley would be starting over McTominay if he was fit.

In terms of younger players, Ryan Porteous and George Johnston were our two centre-backs for the U21s tonight and both are in their final U21 campaign. Porteous has been in the first team squad before; I think both would be best left in the U21s until the end of their qualifiers (unless they're going to be starting). Ross McCrorie has played a couple of matches at centre-back for Aberdeen this season, but he's predominantly a defensive midfielder (I think he also played right-back for Portsmouth a lot last season).

I don't know if Souttar, Findlay or Bates would be better options - they're all certainly younger than Gallagher and may be better for the experience of being in the squad in the long run, even if they don't start ahead of McTominay at centre-back.

Of course, not using a centre-back trio is an option, however with how flacky we've been at the back with a pairing I imagine the reason for the three at the back tactic is greater defensive stability with the standard of player we've got at centre-back.

18 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

I don't know if Souttar, Findlay or Bates would be better options - they're all certainly younger than Gallagher and may be better for the experience of being in the squad in the long run, even if they don't start ahead of McTominay at centre-back.

Of course, not using a centre-back trio is an option, however with how flacky we've been at the back with a pairing I imagine the reason for the three at the back tactic is greater defensive stability with the standard of player we've got at centre-back.

Think we can forget Bates but  Tom McIntyre is better than Souttar and Findlay. 

in fact I would say that at least one of Porteous, Johnston and McIntyre should have been in the senior squad.

Our problem is the lack of right footed defenders. Tierney, McKenna, Findlay, Johnston, Cooper are all options on the left side whereas on the right there's Gallagher & Hanley followed by the likes of Bates who's trying to get his career back on track over in Belgium. 
Interested to see how Rose starts the season at Coventry.

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

Our problem is the lack of right footed defenders. Tierney, McKenna, Findlay, Johnston, Cooper are all options on the left side whereas on the right there's Gallagher & Hanley followed by the likes of Bates who's trying to get his career back on track over in Belgium. 
Interested to see how Rose starts the season at Coventry.

We also have Tom McIntyre at Reading (left foot) and Ryan Porteous at Hibs (right foot) available.

Where are all the Jack Hendry fans we used to have on here ? A crap, hopeless player who couldn't even do the basics that some people touted as the next Davie Weir. :lol:

Personally I'd play a 541 which goes into a 352 or a 3511. McTominay is never a centre half, so that leaves us with a few options. Tierney, McKenna, Findlay, Cooper and Gallagher. However this is a massive season for the likes of Grant Hanley, Tom McIntyre, Michael Rose, Liam Lindsay, and Bates. All 5 should be playing first team football this season at a half decent level, and hopefully go onto bigger and better things. Ross McCrorie is versatile either at mid, RB or CB and is already earning rave reviews at Aberdeen and I would expect him to be in the full squad at the turn of the year. 

On 9/9/2020 at 9:16 PM, Kirk said:

what in fucks name is an anchorman in football, americanised shite chat

How is it American? It would be American if people described the position as a (defensive midfielder) "Quarterback".

An "anchorman" has been used for ages and it would only be an Americanism if the player in question started broadcasting the news during play.

And even if it was American, who cares? It's a free World.

2 minutes ago, Rohan said:

. However this is a massive season for the likes of Grant Hanley, Tom McIntyre, Michael Rose, Liam Lindsay, and Bates. All 5 should be playing first team football this season at a half decent level, and hopefully go onto bigger and better things.

Be disappointed if the best we can do is Rose, Bates or Lyndsay who even I am starting to give up on. They are all fast approaching their mid 20's and have achieved next to nothing.

Tom McIntyre has age on his side but even then he is 22 soon so it is fast approaching make or break time.

I would say Hanley is still an option at least he is experienced.

Not sure Ross McCrorie will be a defender by the end of the season, future might be in midfield.

15 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

How is it American? It would be American if people described the position as a (defensive midfielder) "Quarterback".

An "anchorman" has been used for ages and it would only be an Americanism if the player in question started broadcasting the news during play.

I must admit I hadn't heard the term before but hey terms change, people talk about 6s and 10s, and false 9s. In my day it was tactically cutting edge if a forward 'played in the hole', which just sounds a bit dodgy nowadays.

6 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I must admit I hadn't heard the term before but hey terms change, people talk about 6s and 10s, and false 9s. In my day it was tactically cutting edge if a forward 'played in the hole', which just sounds a bit dodgy nowadays.

Exactly.

When Paul Lambert was at Dormund I remember word that they turned him into an anchorman, so it's definitely not a new thing.

lol

16 hours ago, Malcolm said:

espn? wonder where they are from?

15 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

total americanism! may have been used for a while but its pish!!!
You'd get laughed at if you were in the pub and came out with that shite.

15 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Exactly.

When Paul Lambert was at Dormund I remember word that they turned him into an anchorman, so it's definitely not a new thing.

lol

No they didnt

37 minutes ago, Kirk said:

"Anchorman", in America, is a newsbrodcaster. The only sport that "anchorman" is historically used is in relay racing: it's the person who is at the end of his teammates.

Is "anchor" an American word? How about "Man"? I'm saying no. But if you push those two words together, it's an American word?

Mmm.. Ok. People would laugh at you for using a word? Shouldn't they be at the Algonquin Roundtable?

Would they also break out the torches and pitchforks? 

You get people telling others what they can't wear, because it's "cultural appropriation", what you can't say because it's "American", etc.

As I said, it's a free word. The Nazis lost.

Edited by Taylor1996

9 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

"Anchorman", in America, is a newsbrodcaster. The only sport that "anchorman" is historically used is in relay racing: it's the person who is at the end of his teammates.

Is "anchor" an American word? How about "Man"? I'm saying no. But if you push those two words together, it's an American word?

Mmm.. Ok. People would laugh at you for using a word? Shouldn't they be at the Algonquin Roundtable?

Would they also break out the torches and pitchforks? 

You get people telling others what they can't wear, because it's "cultural appropriation", what you can't say because it's "American", etc.

As I said, it's a free word. The Nazis lost.

Thanks for that outstanding history lesson

8 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

What about that guy was at Partick Thistle?  He looked good a few years back, I've forgotten his name.  Just looked him up, Liam Lindsay, how is getting on these days? 

He's at Stoke City now. He was in the team for a while and they went through a terrible period of form, then they dropped him and started winning again .....

Well down the list.

9 hours ago, Kirk said:

espn? wonder where they are from?

No they didnt

how about Italian...  metodista...  or Brazilian...  Volante..   they acceptable? 😂   All essentially the same position...  also heard it called the water carrier.  It’s a global game now you know!

personally I like the traditional, wing half, inside right, etc...