Robertson v Tierney - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Robertson v Tierney

kumnio

It's just plain daft to talk about dropping Robertson. We should maybe try playing in a manner that gets the best out of him, i.e. at left-back with a winger in front and players actually getting within 30 yards of the box when he's in position to ping in a cross. More often than not he has to stop and go back the way cos there's just no target.

Clarke needs to find a face-saving way of getting another captain though. But drop him? Utterly ridiculous.

I get shot down when I say this (and that's fair) but I'll stick with what I've said for the last couple of years which is that Tierney is better than Robertson at LB. I think he's probably the most versatile player we have and would even fair well as a holding midfielder.

That's not to say Robertson isn't one of Europe's top left backs and every option should be explored to keep them playing together. Just wish we'd tried Tierney on the left of two CBs last night.

4 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I get shot down when I say this (and that's fair) but I'll stick with what I've said for the last couple of years which is that Tierney is better than Robertson at LB. I think he's probably the most versatile player we have and would even fair well as a holding midfielder.

That's not to say Robertson isn't one of Europe's top left backs and every option should be explored to keep them playing together. Just wish we'd tried Tierney on the left of two CBs last night.

I'd disagree to a point. Andy Robertson has proven himself at left-back at Liverpool in the EPL and in the Champions League. Kieran Tierney has yet to do that. However, Tierney has more strings to his bow as he does seem to be more versatile wherein he can play in various positions if needs be. I don't see Robertson as being that versatile.

Ok, I may have been too extreme in saying leave him in Liverpool, he can be in the squad. 

Robertson for Liverpool is a fantastic player, of course he plays with very good players which helps. I’m surprised that he has 36 caps, spanning 7 years, because almost none of them have been memorable. 

Tierney has played much better for us, he looks better defensively and is significantly better in possession IMO. 

I have no interest in English fitba, I don’t care how well someone does for Liverpool, Sheffield Utd or Aston Villa, if they continually fail to perform for Scotland, they should be dropped. 

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

Ok, I may have been too extreme in saying leave him in Liverpool, he can be in the squad. 

Robertson for Liverpool is a fantastic player, of course he plays with very good players which helps. I’m surprised that he has 36 caps, spanning 7 years, because almost none of them have been memorable. 

Tierney has played much better for us, he looks better defensively and is significantly better in possession IMO. 

I have no interest in English fitba, I don’t care how well someone does for Liverpool, Sheffield Utd or Aston Villa, if they continually fail to perform for Scotland, they should be dropped. 

Some people seem to be forgetting that Tierney has hardly turned up for Scotland and has had 13 caps on over 4 years since he made his debut. This was his first squad for 2 years. He has clearly had injury problems but to miss every squad for 2 years may indicate he is not fully committed as has mentioned hundreds of times elsewhere on here.

Now that he is settled at Arsenal I would like to think his commitment to Scotland will improve but I fear that he will remain a regular malingerer for the national team and if this does happen he isn’t going to be our regular left back. 

Indulge me troops but am I missing something re the Robertson/ Tierney issue?

In the context of a back 4 what is the `expert` reason for not playing Tierney as LCB  [ a position he has played well with Arsenal] whilst playing Robbo in his accustomed position as LB ?

Surely by playing these guys in these positions there is little disruption to their preferred roles? Plus it`s not as if we have a stand out LCB to rival Tierney in that role.

Of course the answer may be staring me in the face but that I cant see it!!!

2 hours ago, marinello said:

Indulge me troops but am I missing something re the Robertson/ Tierney issue?

In the context of a back 4 what is the `expert` reason for not playing Tierney as LCB  [ a position he has played well with Arsenal] whilst playing Robbo in his accustomed position as LB ?

Surely by playing these guys in these positions there is little disruption to their preferred roles? Plus it`s not as if we have a stand out LCB to rival Tierney in that role.

Of course the answer may be staring me in the face but that I cant see it!!!

Hasn’t Tierney been playing in the left of a back 3 at Arsenal? I haven’t seen much of them but he was definitely playing there in the FA Cup final. 

You are right re that match. But from my standpoint there is not too much difference between playing on the left of a back 3 and that of a LCB in a back 4--------on understanding of course that the guy on the left of the midfield 5 is able to get up and down the left side ( just like Robbo!!).

Also, IIRC hasn't Tierney played LCB in a back 4 on occasions for both Celtic and Scotland?