Robertson v Tierney - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Robertson v Tierney

kumnio

Robertson is getting the same stick Darren Fletcher got for years. 

People keep saying he was shite. He won most of his tackles or headers, played good balls into the box almost everytime he got down the line and won us a penalty.

How many times did he make runs only for the ball to be delayed. How many times did he get the ball only to look up and nobody was moving to receive a pass so he has to turn and pass it back to a CB.

Players like Robertson and Fletcher before him dont become worse players when they play for Scotland. Their team mates are worse players who arent good enough to allow them to perform at their normal level.

I never criticised Fletcher, not even once, but Robertson has over 20 caps and has never been better than average, some players do it at club level, but not international level and vice versa.

Robertson usually disappoints, even compare to Palmer and O'Donnell at RB. Tierney is a better Scotland player IMO, Id play him.

Robertson seems to be in the same mould as Steve Clarke.

35 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

People keep saying he was shite. He won most of his tackles or headers, played good balls into the box almost everytime he got down the line and won us a penalty.

How many times did he make runs only for the ball to be delayed. How many times did he get the ball only to look up and nobody was moving to receive a pass so he has to turn and pass it back to a CB.

Players like Robertson and Fletcher before him dont become worse players when they play for Scotland. Their team mates are worse players who arent good enough to allow them to perform at their normal level.

Yep.

It's not Robertson's fault that the majority of his teammates can't control the ball and make an accurate 5 yard pass.

This thread is suggesting Andy Robertson, one of the best left backs in the world, snub a call up....

Stunning stuff.

Will anyone challenge the OP? Let's watch...

Edited by Taylor1996

58 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Sorry Andy, but stay in Liverpool next time.

1 decent pass doesn't make up for being shite yet again. Tierney deserves a shot, or Taylor, or Hickey.

I can understand you waiting to try Tierney ahead of Robertson but to suggest Robertson shouldn’t be in the squad is strange to say the least. 

Robertson has clearly underperformed for Scotland compared with his performances with Liverpool or even Hull but apart from costing us a goal against Russia in the last campaign he has been fairly solid for us defensively as far as I remember. 

We would all like to see him play better Scotland, especially going forward but there’s no way we should be playing Taylor or Hickey ahead of him. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I can understand you waiting to try Tierney ahead of Robertson but to suggest Robertson shouldn’t be in the squad is strange to say the least. 

Robertson has clearly underperformed for Scotland compared with his performances with Liverpool or even Hull but apart from costing us a goal against Russia in the last campaign he has been fairly solid for us defensively as far as I remember. 

We would all like to see him play better Scotland, especially going forward but there’s no way we should be playing Taylor or Hickey ahead of him. 

lol

Can you imagine the reaction if I said something similar? Lolllllll

Let's see if the OP receives the same reaction.

I thought Robertson was pretty decent in this game.. It's hard to win a game from left back.

Arguably he did that today though. He picked out Palmer with an inch perfect cross field ball for the first goal and then won us the penalty by driving at the defence (something that he should have done more regularly today in fairness).

I'm not sure why Tierney didn't play today. It seemed like an opportunity missed to try him out at LCB or RB, or to play him on the left with Robertson on the right.

Roberson is our best player, to not play him would be like not picking Kenny dalglish.  I think the manager hasn’t helped by making him  captain when I don’t think he is ideally suited to that. Also he is being played out of position.  Wing back is not his game.  You can be left sided and play...

left back, left wing back, left midfield, left wing, inside left.

they are all different roles requiring different skills.  Andy is a left back... he needs a player in front of him and be playing face to goal not back to goal to get best from him. 

6 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Thats bollocks, he ran into trouble more.often than not when he couldve passed the ball. 

Whilst Robertson is the better player at club level right now I think that’s because Klopps system and the players around him suits him perfectly. I think all round Tierney is the just as good a player and the better defender which is the primary role of a left back, especially for a team like Scotland.

8 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yep.

It's not Robertson's fault that the majority of his teammates can't control the ball and make an accurate 5 yard pass.

To be fair, Robertson has been incapable of doing that in a Scotland shirt more often than not.

Lost count over the past two games the amount of times he's taken a heavy touch and lost possession/passed straight to the opposition.

Tierney is better defensively and dare I say it, better going forward based on the way we play.

Robertson is great for Liverpool in their system surrounded by great players. However, great players can adapt when playing with lesser players and I've seen nothing of Robertson in a Scotland shirt to suggest he is capable of doing that.

Certainly not to justify not giving KT a run out at left back.

He's also not captain material either.

1 hour ago, Eassy said:

Whilst Robertson is the better player at club level right now I think that’s because Klopps system and the players around him suits him perfectly. I think all round Tierney is the just as good a player and the better defender which is the primary role of a left back, especially for a team like Scotland.

Agreed,

It’s a reasonable discussion to say Robertson might not be the best pick as captain, but he’s our most successful player and is an intrinsic part of Liverpool’s success. It’s also reasonable to suggest a flat four gets the best out of him rather than playing him at lwb.

It is complete drivel, however, to suggest Taylor or Hickey should play ahead of him. Utter nonsense about his ability and the same tripe a few ignorant fans said about D Fletcher.

Imo Robertson and Tierney both have to start in a flat four, probably with Tierney as rb rather than ch.

The reality of the situation is that Andrew Robertson is playing with far better players in the Liverpool team with a settled system. He plays with players who make runs into the box for his crosses (something alien to our players). That is the harsh reality here. At Liverpool Robertson has quality, well-drilled components to work with whereas for Scotland he does not so obviously we aren't going to get the same quality out of him.

Given that we've got two quality left backs and no decent right backs, if we're playing four at the back then it seems obvious that Robertson and Tierney should be the full backs, regardless of whether they like it or not or whether it means one of them cutting inside more often than not. Either of them with only one leg would still be a better right back than Palmer or O'Donnell.

33 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The reality of the situation is that Andrew Robertson is playing with far better players in the Liverpool team with a settled system. He plays with players who make runs into the box for his crosses (something alien to our players). That is the harsh reality here. At Liverpool Robertson has quality, well-drilled components to work with whereas for Scotland he does not so obviously we aren't going to get the same quality out of him.

Totally agree, Liverpool are a well oiled machine. You’ve got ask yourself why pretty much every week he has good to brilliant games for Liverpool every week. Steve Clarke’s Scotland are a shambles in that regard, it’s an absolute banger so far.

And fwiw Mcleish should never have given him the captaincy. It just put so much unnecessary pressure on him and you get the Fletcher affect again. 

If Clarke can get the structure/system right there’s no reason why Robertson won’t flourish. (He could start by going to a 4 at the back)

6 hours ago, COLT NY said:

I'm not sure why Tierney didn't play today. It seemed like an opportunity missed to try him out at LCB or RB, or to play him on the left with Robertson on the right.

They were speculating on the radio last night whether an agreement may have been made with Arsenal to only use him in one of the games.

I'd still rather play him at RB, I don't think we've ever lost when he's played there. 

Although if we do end up playing Norway someone is going to have to stand on top of Haaland for the entire 90 minutes and KT could maybe be the man to do that?...

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

They were speculating on the radio last night whether an agreement may have been made with Arsenal to only use him in one of the games.

I'd still rather play him at RB, I don't think we've ever lost when he's played there. 

Although if we do end up playing Norway someone is going to have to stand on top of Haaland for the entire 90 minutes and KT could maybe be the man to do that?...

I really hope thats not true, Arsenal should be told to fuck off. 

Edited by vanderark14