Plus points tonight ? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Plus points tonight ?

mariokempes56

Tonight was the last chance to move back to a 451 before we play Israel. Instead he stuck with the back 3 and its yielded two terrible performances as opposed to the good performance we had against Kazakhstan with 4 at the back. We will be very lucky to beat Israel playing like that and we won't get past Norway or serbia if we magically do go through. 

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

The players are not playing to their ability as the manager is picking them in the wrong positions and not picking the best players.  We lack confidence.

We lack quality.

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Are you seriously saying that the formation worked based on that performance. We were absolutely terrible against a Czech d team and extremely lucky to win. We looked terrible against Israel as well. I am not suggesting its all down to formation but how the fuk can you watch that and think it was OK. 

Nah. I was being tongue-in-cheek.

It was a win. We stood with what we played on Friday, hopefully Clarke sticks with it.

If we play with three from 2020-2040, and we haven't qualified for anything, then you can dismiss it as a failure.

2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

We lack quality.

It was a win. We stood with what we played on Friday, hopefully Clarke sticks with it.

If we play with three from 2020-2040, and we haven't qualified for anything, then you can dismiss it as a failure.

of course we lack quality....  but we have enough quality to play better than we did tonight. We shouldn’t be played off the park by a d team.

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

of course we lack quality....  but we have enough quality to play better than we did tonight. We shouldn’t be played off the park by a d team.

Do we, though?

Watch the u17 and u19 teams and tell me if our seniors are better than them. I'm afraid, we have about 3 more years of this, but we do have players coming through.

Dykes looks better than McBurnie in a Scotland jersey.

Paterson did alright.

McGinn was our best midfielder and he played about 15 minutes.

Marshall is a solid enough goalkeeper.

You could argue unbeaten in five games going in to the play off, but that will come to an end in the semi final or play off final.

If we do don't qualify, another positive is not inflecting our national team on neutral audiences around the globe.

And finally, if we don't get to the Euros, I have a feeling it'll be limited-capacity or fan-less due to Covid. Probably best that we don't turn up at a tournament we can't actually attend.

Just now, Taylor1996 said:

We lack quality.

It isn't formation that we haven't qualified for tournaments, it's mostly lack of quality players. Now that the euros is a 24 team comp we should be able to qualify with the players available. Playing a 3 at the back isn't going to make us better. Are you suggesting we play 20 years with 3 at the back just to see if it will work. These 2 matches have shown that a 3 at the back is not working. We looked alot better in our previous set of international games with a back 4. It might of only been against Cyprus and Kazakhstan but tonight was against a d Czech team and we looked awful. We have been gifted two soft pens which has given us the 4 pts. 

26 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

The formation worked.

The formation was terrible. Well, to be accurate the players we have can’t play that formation so it was a terrible decision by Clarke to use it. McTominay was terrible and apart from a couple of decent crosses, so was Palmer.

The only two positives from tonight were Dykes getting his goal and Scotland getting the three points. It’s not often we play poorly away from home and pick up 3 points.

10 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Do we, though?

Watch the u17 and u19 teams and tell me if our seniors are better than them. I'm afraid, we have about 3 more years of this, but we do have players coming through.

are you telling me that the u19 are better than our first team?

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The formation was terrible. Well, to be accurate the players we have can’t play that formation so it was a terrible decision by Clarke to use it. McTominay was terrible and apart from a couple of decent crosses, so was Palmer.

The only two positives from tonight were Dykes getting his goal and Scotland getting the three points. It’s not often we play poorly away from home and pick up 3 points.

And me staying? There's another positive.

😛

8 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

are you telling me that the u19 are better than our first team?

Yes.

About a year ago they went head to head against Germany, best them, and deserved it. Finishing top of their Europ qualification group.

The performance schools are working. We have kids at Man City, Chelsea, Bayern Munich, and perhaps Bologna next. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

He thinks that because the u19s look technically good against other u19s that it would translate into them being good at senior level. Doesn't work like that as most of us know. 

Against a Czech D team?

Our main players can barely beat Cyprus, San Marino and Czech D. What are we hanging on to?

2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yes.

About a year ago they went head to head against Germany, best them, and deserved it. Finishing top of their Europ qualification group.

The performance schools are working. We have kids at Man City, Chelsea, Bayern Munich, and perhaps Bologna next. 

We have always had kids at top clubs and we have always had successful periods for the u19s, u17s etc. It doesn't translate into the seniors. Also I watched one of the games against Germany and it wasn't a pretty sight if I remember correctly. I often watch Scottish youth games and I rarely see technically gifted players playing attractive football. Not that it's all bad we do have a few games where I think we look good but alot of the time it's not great viewing.