Clarke hasn't a clue...sack him - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clarke hasn't a clue...sack him

0Neils40yarder

2 minutes ago, Mitre said:

The wee Israeli RIght Back was man of the match by a considerable distance.

I thought Gallagher was pretty solid for us.

Formation still baffles me on what Clarke is trying to achieve. 

He ran about a lot but his passing was woeful, i particularly enjoyed his cross where he forgot who he played for and cleared the ball for scotland.

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

MOM doesn't have to be in the winning team. That's almost as daft as saying that the ref keeps the game going as long as one team is attacking.

The point I was (obviously unsuccessfully) trying to make is man of the match is a load of shite that means nothing. 

The only thing that matters in these crunch games is the result. 

10 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Just that MOM and football is subjective.  Could well have been from the other team.  My point is that football is entertainment though.  As should sport always be.  Otherwise what is the point?

MOM is a matter of opinion and only really matters to the person that’s awarded it (assuming they like champagne). 

Football was not invented as a form of entertainment. It was invented as a sport with no real thought that people may want to watch it. 

Millions of people worldwide play football with nobody watching them. The point in that is for the people playing to enjoy it and for exercise, which is why the sport was invented. Entertainment is just a byproduct.

Some TAMB members love whinging about how a different manager would change our fortunes...... well the last 30 years is  a live research project on that....!

Clarke has only just come into the job and is trying to mould a team without strength in depth...CD, RB, creative MD and forwards are evidence of this.

He’s trying to get consistent system that everyone knows but it takes time. We are not losing and sometimes winning ugly and this is better than the glorious defeats or losing really ugly we have had in the past.

I don’t care how we got there but we are in a final for a place in a major tournament against a team we have a chance of beating....although very tough. Surely thats positive.

I am not sure who would be willing to come with a better CV than Clarke who has worked with some of the best managers in the EPL and seems to adept at getting the best out of players with limited resources. I would be happy if we got to a stage where we play an opponent and think we have a realistic  chance of winning but were not there yet.

There seems to be a bright future with good young players coming through at a top level but in the mean time.... chill your boots and enjoy the moment.

5 minutes ago, sandyb said:

Some TAMB members love whinging about how a different manager would change our fortunes...... well the last 30 years is  a live research project on that....!

Clarke has only just come into the job and is trying to mould a team without strength in depth...CD, RB, creative MD and forwards are evidence of this.

He’s trying to get consistent system that everyone knows but it takes time. We are not losing and sometimes winning ugly and this is better than the glorious defeats or losing really ugly we have had in the past.

I don’t care how we got there but we are in a final for a place in a major tournament against a team we have a chance of beating....although very tough. Surely thats positive.

I am not sure who would be willing to come with a better CV than Clarke who has worked with some of the best managers in the EPL and seems to adept at getting the best out of players with limited resources. I would be happy if we got to a stage where we play an opponent and think we have a realistic  chance of winning but were not there yet.

There seems to be a bright future with good young players coming through at a top level but in the mean time.... chill your boots and enjoy the moment.

I can understand why some people are frustrated with Clarke. I find some of his decisions baffling at times myself - playing one of our best midfielders in central defence for example. I actually though McTominay played pretty well last night but what are we supposed to do if he is injured next month? Experimenting with this system will have been for nothing. 

I certainly don’t think Clarke should be sacked though. He could get us to a major tournament next month and should be given the chance to see it through. 

I think what he is achieving is a tight-knit unit that will run through a brick wall for each other, a bit like the N. Ireland team. Now, to take them as an example, there is only really Jonny Evans  - and maybe Davis - who would get into our team but they have an unquenchable team spirit. I'm sure their fans don't mind them winning ugly . We could be the same, but there are too many of our fans who think we should be performing like Brazil and call everyone 'pish' when they misplace a pass.

How mant times have you seen us playing expansive, attractive football and get gubbed? I'll take ugly football every time.

32 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

How mant times have you seen us playing expansive, attractive football and get gubbed? I'll take ugly football every time.

Expansive, attractive football?  Very seldom.

Getting gubbed?  Well...

Get what you're saying though.  Greece won Euro 2004 with performances that would get fitba banned as an entertainment product under the Trade Descriptions Act.  Bet they didn't care much at the time.  It'd be nice to see SOME flair though.  Maybe that'll come later!

I wonder if Clarke is trying a long game with the formation. We got absolutely gubbed by Russia and Belgium with 4 at the back. To qualify for (or play in) major tournaments we need a strategy to play against better teams. That may involve more bodies at the back as we don’t have good enough players that will control the game against top 30 teams.

Therefore he may be persevering with these tactics to get the players used to it. Gives Robertson more chance to attack than if he is a left back for us and I think he’s played well the last couple of games. Also, thought McTominay played the role very well last night (obviously should have scored). Maybe he sees a player suited to that role but just needs a bit of time.

I’m not blindly defending it, as it’s gruesome to watch, but I can see some reasoning behind the selections and the formation.

Edited by breeks_mctavish

54 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I wonder if Clarke is trying a long game with the formation. We got absolutely gubbed by Russia and Belgium with 4 at the back. To qualify for (or play in) major tournaments we need a strategy to play against better teams. That may involve more bodies at the back as we don’t have good enough players that will control the game against top 30 teams.

Therefore he may be persevering with these tactics to get the players used to it. Gives Robertson more chance to attack than if he is a left back for us and I think he’s played well the last couple of games. Also, thought McTominay played the role very well last night (obviously should have scored). Maybe he sees a player suited to that role but just needs a bit of time.

I’m not blindly defending it, as it’s gruesome to watch, but I can see some reasoning behind the selections and the formation.

I agree and its going to take a bit of time. I thought McTom was good last night and didn’t look out of place.

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Easier to tolerate and defend grim football if it’s successful against better teams, like it was for Greece. Don’t think we’ve ever played particularly expansive football, well not for a decent amount of time. 

You're right, the fact we haven't evolved in the 17 years I've been watching Scotland is an absolute fucking scandal. Who, in 2020 is playing two big guys up front, and two big dumplings whilst we are at it? The answer is no one, football has moved on, we'll get cuffed on Wednesday, no question

6 minutes ago, Mox said:

You're right, the fact we haven't evolved in the 17 years I've been watching Scotland is an absolute fucking scandal. Who, in 2020 is playing two big guys up front, and two big dumplings whilst we are at it? The answer is no one, football has moved on, we'll get cuffed on Wednesday, no question

Let’s worry about Sunday first. 

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I think what he is achieving is a tight-knit unit that will run through a brick wall for each other, a bit like the N. Ireland team. Now, to take them as an example, there is only really Jonny Evans  - and maybe Davis - who would get into our team but they have an unquenchable team spirit. I'm sure their fans don't mind them winning ugly . We could be the same, but there are too many of our fans who think we should be performing like Brazil and call everyone 'pish' when they misplace a pass.

Stuart Dallas also but then I'm probably being a wee bit biased as a leeds united fan 

2 hours ago, daviebee said:

Expansive, attractive football?  Very seldom.

Getting gubbed?  Well...

Get what you're saying though.  Greece won Euro 2004 with performances that would get fitba banned as an entertainment product under the Trade Descriptions Act.  Bet they didn't care much at the time.  It'd be nice to see SOME flair though.  Maybe that'll come later!

I was in Greece from the quarter final onwards in 2004 (got married in the same village in 2008 😀💙). I can provide witness testimony that they did not give a flying fuck about 'entertainment'. I can only remember fragments of the night of the final. What they did all appreciate was Rehhagel playing Dellas as a sweeper. Absolutely fanatical to a man, and they really understood the tactical nuances of the game. McTominay in that role might be our watershed. When is Gimour fit?

I was part of a fast moving 3 at the back the night of the final. Unfortunately it was after they won it and I was one of 4 on a scooter driving up and down at breakneck speeds, honking the horn and swigging ouzo. No idea how I'm still alive.

Lot of pish talking about sacking him. Aye its no been great to watch but players have to take responsibility aswell. Only so much a manager can do with the players he has got. If they cant do simple things thats on the player. Theres managers spending 100s of millions every year and producing shite. Hes working with far less of a player for a few weeks a year.