Clarke hasn't a clue...sack him - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clarke hasn't a clue...sack him

0Neils40yarder

14 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You for got McTominay , 

True, I think its probably 99% certain that he will be moved back to midfield next month..... probably a case of Clarke wanted to see Jack, Fleck and McLean in action, and out of them Jack was probably the only one that looked any good (but again, that because he has been playing for Rangers of late, and it did show what those few weeks of playing every week can do against not kicking a ball in almost 2 months) but did not feel like he did enough where you think he should be starting the next game (Fleck was probably the biggest disappointment, as we all saw what he was doing last season, but again, will simply put this down to not playing).

Based on these two game, imagine Clarke team next month will be along the lines of,

.........................Marshall

........Cooper......McKenna.....Tierney

Palmer....McT/Jack/McGregor....Robertson

.....Chrsitie*........McGinn......Forrest

..........................Dykes*

*Fraser and McBurnie might play their ways into his plans, but Frasers case I think these 3 games will come just to soon, and between Dykes and McBurnie, case of who has the better start to the season (but Dykes certainly has the shirt right now)

Edited by wanderer

2 hours ago, daviebee said:

How many of our own lot would get into the original Czech squad?  Not too many I'd imagine.  Folk were assuming we'd be playing 11 training ground dummies.

Oh come on. Robertson would be in probably every intentional squad in the world. Tierney, McTominay, McGinn, Fraser, McBurnie, Christie, Fleck, Armstrong, Forrest, and McGregor have all come off the back of good seasons in the past 2 years. There is no way most, if not all of them, would be in the Czech squad.

A quick scan of the team that played against Slovakia, none of them seem to be playing for big teams. We have good players, we just need to utilise them properly. On paper, many countries would envy our options. (Excluding a few positions)

If he goes back to a back 4 then for me Tierney plays at right back. Without him there whoever we play at right back will be targeted and if we play him at centre half i worry about lack of aerial ability overall in the team as set pieces are crucial. Also even playing right back then tierney can cut in on left foot and cross the ball which he is so good at. He cant do that at centre half. 

We also need as many players who can score goals including from central midfield.

Hopefully all the players get game time and come back fit and raring to go. 

Marshall

Tierney.         Mckenna.      Cooper.        Robbo

Mctominay.    Fleck

Christie.          Mcginn.              Fraser

Dykes

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

(Fleck was probably the biggest disappointment, as we all saw what he was doing last season, but again, will simply put this down to not playing).

I don't really think Fleck should be in the squad but his form since lock down has been a real worry.

I know people might thing I over rate stats be they are at least a constant when it becomes to individual players. His stats have been way down.

Him and McLean are two of the players who should be making way for younger ones, probably Jack too even though he played as well as anyone 

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

Most likely answer is because we have a chance of making the Euro's next year if we beat Israel next month at home (can only assume he was not wanting to give to much away, and if anything Israel will now be questioning will he play 3 at the back again or not now he has done it in 2 games).

Israel won’t be giving a shit whether we play 3 or 4 at the back. They have one way of playing and they’ll do it regardless of our formation. 

9 minutes ago, slasher said:

We hear this every campaign about how crucial it is to be in this pot and not that one. Let the manager do his job as he sees it and if he fails he will get the same treatment as every other yin. 

While the bottom of one pot and top of another can be fairly equal, this is different. Having a six game group decide whether we are pot 2 at worst/ pot 4 at best is massive.

There's zero doubt being in pot 2 would make it easier to qualify than being pot 4.

26 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

If he goes back to a back 4 then for me Tierney plays at right back. Without him there whoever we play at right back will be targeted and if we play him at centre half i worry about lack of aerial ability overall in the team as set pieces are crucial. Also even playing right back then tierney can cut in on left foot and cross the ball which he is so good at. He cant do that at centre half. 

We also need as many players who can score goals including from central midfield.

Hopefully all the players get game time and come back fit and raring to go. 

Marshall

Tierney.         Mckenna.      Cooper.        Robbo

Mctominay.    Fleck

Christie.          Mcginn.              Fraser

Dykes

We can’t play Tierney at right back as he is fuckin dross on his right foot. He even said in the pre-match interview on Friday night “I don’t have a right foot” ffs! As for cutting inside onto his left foot, that’s a complete waste of time. If Tierney was in Palmer’s position last night for the first goal he’d never have played that cracking ball in to Dykes - he’d need to take an extra touch and a left foot cross results in a completely different ball in. 

His inability on the right in an attacking sense was never more highlighted as when we played Slovakia at home three years ago. A must win match and he was shite going forward, he kept doubling back. It wasn’t until he was hauled off, replaced by Anya that we started finding ourselves 20 yards further up the park with genuine threat on the right hand side. Anya went on to make the winning goal. 

Get players playing in their best positions. It’s no hard. As for McTominay at centre half and Tierney at right back - I mean c’mon to fuck!

48 minutes ago, paper_lion said:

While the bottom of one pot and top of another can be fairly equal, this is different. Having a six game group decide whether we are pot 2 at worst/ pot 4 at best is massive.

There's zero doubt being in pot 2 would make it easier to qualify than being pot 4.

I hear what you're saying and don't doubt the logic of it. However the significance of seedings is often overplayed. We've been at this for 22 years now and without doubt the best stab we made at it was when we were in pot 4 in 2007. 🙅‍♂️

1 minute ago, slasher said:

I hear what you're saying and don't doubt the logic of it. However the significance of seedings is often overplayed. We've been at this for 22 years now and without doubt the best stab we made at it was when we were in pot 4 in 2007. 🙅‍♂️

Yes but we had a good team.  

Imagine if we d had a more normal looking group that year.  Also there were no play offs and bugger groups.  It's never been repeated in that format since. 

Just now, kiltedlegs said:

Imagine if we d had a more normal looking group that year.  Also there were no play offs and bugger groups.  It's never been repeated in that format since. 

No wonder our players don’t play well if this is going on. 

4 minutes ago, kiltedlegs said:

I wouldn't say we had a particularly good team then, more that the two managers were able to get the best out of the group. If McLeish had been less cavalier in Tbilisi we might have squeaked through. 

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Excellent post. If only Barrie McKay could be accommodated somewhere I think we’d be back in business. 

Haha!! 

We all hold out hope that Barrie McKay will come good one day :) 

Calling for him to be sacked is a bit ridiculous. Saying that, do people really think he has deliberatley churned out two dreadful teams/ performances/formations as some sort of masterful plot to throw Israel a curve ball next month ? This place is absolute gold at times 😂😂

16 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Calling for him to be sacked is a bit ridiculous. Saying that, do people really think he has deliberatley churned out two dreadful teams/ performances/formations as some sort of masterful plot to throw Israel a curve ball next month ? This place is absolute gold at times 😂😂

Dickov would have done that too. Its a masterstroke of an idea. 

52 minutes ago, slasher said:

I wouldn't say we had a particularly good team then, more that the two managers were able to get the best out of the group. If McLeish had been less cavalier in Tbilisi we might have squeaked through. 

Cavalier. 

They had an 18 year old kid in goals making his debut and we didn’t have a shot on target until something like the 80th minute. 

If that’s cavalier give me the Roundheads every time. 

16 minutes ago, aaid said:

Cavalier. 

They had an 18 year old kid in goals making his debut and we didn’t have a shot on target until something like the 80th minute. 

If that’s cavalier give me the Roundheads every time. 

I was talking about his tactics and team selection not how we played 🙄

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes its daft to expect players to play two games in three days when COVID-19 has totally fucked up pre-season training.

absolute mince min, these guys are fitter than ever. Two games in three days is nothing

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes but that is not two games in three days. Totally different ask. It follows a pattern too as I pointed out before as in one game only for EPL players Armstrong, McGinn (okay came on as sub last night), McLean, Cooper, Palmer and Fleck. Clarke has had the squad together and assessed fitness levels and obviously worked to a plan with regards team selections. I don't buy the media hype that he was ordered to only play player X once etc.

That's a few times you've said that now. Whit fukin time dimension do live in? Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday. That's 4 days in my universe.

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That's a few times you've said that now. Whit fukin time dimension do live in? Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday. That's 4 days in my universe.

No it is not. Friday night Scotland played Israel and 72 hours later they were kicking off against the Czech Republic on the Monday. Do the maths - 72 hours = 3 days.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

35 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No it is not. Friday night Scotland played Israel and 72 hours later they were kicking off against the Czech Republic on the Monday. Do the maths - 72 hours = 3 days.

Two games three days apart. That's 2 games in 4 days. If it was 2 games in 3 days they would need to play Fri and Sun. Holy fuk man, have you never seen a calendar? :lol: