Clarke hasn't a clue...sack him - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clarke hasn't a clue...sack him

0Neils40yarder

There’s no way he’ll be sacked. He’s undefeated in 5 and we’re top of our Nations League group. Ok, so that sounds a lot better than the reality given our last 2 poor performances but football managers don’t normally lose their jobs when their team is top of their group and undefeated in 5 games with 4 wins out of 5. 

Someone with half a brain has to have a word with him about his formation choice and team selections though. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

There’s no way he’ll be sacked. He’s undefeated in 5 and we’re top of our Nations League group. Ok, so that sounds a lot better than the reality given our last 2 poor performances but football managers don’t normally lose their jobs when their team is top of their group and undefeated in 5 games with 4 wins out of 5. 

Someone with half a brain has to have a word with him about his formation choice and team selections though. 

I am just hoping that he was experimenting with these two matches and will go back something the players look more comfortable with. 

9 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

They sacked McLeish when he had a 67% win record, and had gotten us to a play off.

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I am just hoping that he was experimenting with these two matches and will go back something the players look more comfortable with. 

I don’t get the point in doing that. Our next match is the playoff and if Clarke was wanting to use these two games to prepare for Israel next month he should have been using the formation we will use then. 

As far as I can see he is no closer to solving the Robertson/Tierney problem and if he plays the formation he used on Friday and tonight with the same players being played out of position we are going to struggle next month. 

Strachan should have been kept on.

Yes, we failed to qualify; but the trajectory was on the up and had been for the previous 12 months; sadly, too many people thought no qualification = no renewal.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Patience is required. SOMETIMES.

Not for Levein, Burley or Mcleish though

9 minutes ago, p gala ta said:

Let’s hold fire till we’ve played Israel in October . Think he will go back to 4 at the back with Fraser wide ,it worked last time .

Give the players and manager a bit of slack , the English based ones were well off the pace,they haven’t played for months .

Months is a bit of an exaggeration. The English league season finished about 6 weeks ago I think. Still quite a long time to be fair.

I feel totally gutted and a bit betrayed.  We like all other nations have concerns with fitness at this time, but to say that was the cause for us being so inadequate these last two games is asinine.  I knew Clarke had some hard games to start with but we have be so terrible.  We have a 50% win percentage which isn't bad at all, but I am totally aghast at the manner in how we have been playing - is there an actual plan, is there a methodology he is trying to drill the players with? I cant believe that there is - the last two games we have played a different way to his first 8 games - OK, but what is beyond believe is the players he slotted into the positions - I wanted him to stick to his convictions and play a 3-5-2 today, but what actually brings his judgement into question for me was McTominay in defense twice!!!!! I understand we have players of limited ability, but we are so pedestrian and so easily penetrated by a team whose records is twice as poor as ours and today, we played a bunch of guys who had maybe 1 day of coaching together and they were far superior to us - why don't have any consistency?  

Can we get the Stachan SOS banner out from the loft, we need it . 

Edited by romanticscot

37 minutes ago, kiltedlegs said:

Yes but we won the group.  That was the hardest game of that group. Lost it but won the war. 

Utter pish.

That game was one of those that has peppered this century - ridiculously poor results against teams that should have been buried.

I'll work backwards - Israel (h), Kazakhstan (a), Israel (a), Georgia (a), Ireland (a), Wales (h), Macedonia (h), Serbia (h), Lithuania (a), Macedonia (a), Georgia (a), Norway (h), Belarus (h), Belarus (a), Moldova (a), Lithuania (a), Faroe Islands (a).

Others will add elements to that list that have probably been conveniently blocked out of my memory banks.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Id love to argue than Clarke has had positive signs, but Id be very wrong.

The last two performances, and more importantly tactics and lineups have been dreadful, worse than McLeish2. He looks out of his depth, a lost soul in a world far beyond his understanding.

Norway will give us 5, 6, or maybe more. Whats the fucking point.

16 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Id love to argue than Clarke has had positive signs, but Id be very wrong.

The last two performances, and more importantly tactics and lineups have been dreadful, worse than McLeish2. He looks out of his depth, a lost soul in a world far beyond his understanding.

Norway will give us 5, 6, or maybe more. Whats the fucking point.

If we manage to beat Israel next month we might not even play Norway. 

They are certainly favourites to beat Serbia but nothing is guaranteed. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

If we manage to beat Israel next month we might not even play Norway. 

They are certainly favourites to beat Serbia but nothing is guaranteed. 

I know that, but its my opinion that we will play Norway in November. OK.

Been a defender of Clarke over last 12 months but these last two games have been complete s***, struggling to beat the Czech candle stick makers and milkmen tonight is scraping the barrel even by Scotland standards.

The whole system just feels broken with no obvious fix. Not sure what the answer is bar getting in a competant international experienced manager in like a Lars Lageback next time he becomes available although he'll probably retire rather than take on the Scotland job.

It's a real poisioned chalice.

29 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Been a defender of Clarke over last 12 months but these last two games have been complete s***, struggling to beat the Czech candle stick makers and milkmen tonight is scraping the barrel even by Scotland standards.

The whole system just feels broken with no obvious fix. Not sure what the answer is bar getting in a competant international experienced manager in like a Lars Lageback next time he becomes available although he'll probably retire rather than take on the Scotland job.

It's a real poisioned chalice.

Could you play next month mate? 

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Utter pish.

That game was one of those that has peppered this century - ridiculously poor results against teams that should have been buried.

I'll work backwards - Israel (h), Kazakhstan (a), Israel (a), Georgia (a), Ireland (a), Wales (h), Macedonia (h), Serbia (h), Lithuania (a), Macedonia (a), Georgia (a), Norway (h), Belarus (h), Belarus (a), Moldova (a), Lithuania (a), Faroe Islands (a).

Others will add elements to that list that have probably been conveniently blocked out of my memory banks.

You on drugs? 

The Israel away was the only defeat of the group.  We won the group. 

The matches you list above - we have no right to beat anyone.  Yer on another planet if you think we will thrash teams, also every team has their off days. 

You're just naming all the bad results in 20 years and saying " oo look we were pish in those".  

Edited by kiltedlegs

Think you missed Cyprus barney which was still a poor performance.I was at that game. Trying to give Clarke the benefit of doubt but Mctominey playing CB was unbearable i know it's not his position and he probably felt like a dumpling but he was all over the place . This makeshift back 3 has to go its ridiculous. Palmer should be used as our RB or Odonnel in a back 4 formation .

October could be a very good month for us, we have our first and most important game first and then we could have another 6 points in the Nations league.  If Ryan Fraser wants to play and is fit, he will back and here's hoping so too will Shankland but as I see it -  Dykes has the jersey for now we need to tweak some things and under no circumstances should McTominay start in defence again.  

I think its ridiculous that we're talking about sacking the coach at this stage of proceedings. It's been this way since McLeish left the first time... Give the new guy 4 or 5 games and then the threads begin. 

His results haven't been terrible, so as mentioned there's no way he's going to be sacked. It would be a much better investment of time to speak about how he can improve in the role going forward.

For me, that starts with being willing to change things mid game. He should have ditched the McTominey in defence idea as soon as they scored (well, should have been at Hampden but that's another matter) as it was clear very early on that the formation wasn't working in today's game either.