Update on eligible players? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Update on eligible players?

ICT fan Shaun

Has anyone heard anything about the players that are eligible for us, have any talks taken place with them and Steve Clarke and/or the SFA? 

I know that the French GK (Bobby Allain) has asked his agent to contact the SFA to let them know of his eligibility but what is the story regarding Todd Kane, Ryan Fredericks, Che Adams, Harvey Barnes, Karlan Grant and Sam Gallagher 🤔

Edited by ICT fan Shaun

Ryan Fredericks was one of West Ham's worst players last season. 

Che Adams has a terrible record at Southampton after stepping up and has indicated no sign of wanting to play for us.

Harvey Barnes is a regular pick for England U21s and has been probably been unlucky not to have been called up to their senior squad. He isn't remotely interested in playing for us.

Todd Kane was one of QPR's worst players last season.

Sam Gallagher played for our U19s, then chucked us for England and has since become a mediocre Championship player. 

Clarke should not be chasing a single one of them.

And remember, just because the Daily Record or the Sun say X is eligible for Scotland, that doesn't mean they actually are. Players have been falsely said to have non-existent Scottish links in the past.

Bobby Allian is about 28 and has only played the last dozen or so games for his club as their regular number 1 is out with a broken wrist.

Say that is nothing more than a “feel good” story by the papers over a position we are in no real desperation for.

Rest have all been linked with us long ago and been zero movement since.... Adam was asked 3 times by 3 different Scotland managers and has said no to all (plus his career has stalled at Southampton).

Barnes was us trying to get what many people in England suspect is going to be the next big home grown prospect (so zero chance we are getting him....)

Gallaghers career has came nowhere near the heights people thought it would 4/5 years ago when he was spoken about as the next Andy Carroll or something.... there was talk of a call up under Strachan when he went on a 3/4 game scoring run at Blackburn, but then slipped back in pecking order.

5 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Steven Caulker?

Scotsman were saying about a month ago that his manager in Turkey have said that the SFA have been asking for updates on his form fairly recently, but due to Covid19 its been pretty hard to get the switch actually done.

Let's not kid ourselves on, with the exception of Todd Kane every player already mentioned in this thread would have every chance of making our squad, if they elected to play for us. 

Ryan Fredericks, for instance, might very well be one of West Ham's worst players, but if he was any worse than Liam Palmer or Stephen O'Donnell he wouldn't even be at West Ham to be one of their worst players!

10 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If I didn't know any better I'd say some people get a weird wee thrill when some new granny rule player is identified.

Let's focus on Gilmour, Turnbull, Patterson, Porteous, McIntyre, Hickey etc instead.

100% As usual there is a lot of deadwood in the squad and it is those younger players who should be taken along 

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

100% As usual there is a lot of deadwood in the squad and it is those younger players who should be taken along 

And this, I believe, is why Wales fair better than us. If they have a teenager at Liverpool or any EPL club even without first team experience they get called up and integrated into the full squad. Some even play and make a mark in the team and their career builds from there. Doesn't happen with us sadly.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

And this, I believe, is why Wales fair better than us. If they have a teenager at Liverpool or any EPL club even without first team experience they get called up and integrated into the full squad. Some even play and make a mark in the team and their career builds from there. Doesn't happen with us sadly.

Aye, there seems to be some utterly stupid, uniquely Scottish belief that 24 or 25 is the right age to introduce a player to international football. 

13 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

who exactly is the "deadwood".... based on our recent squad, only players I look at and think "there is no real need for you" is Taylor and O'Donnell (but can understand why out of those two SoD is there)

Fleck and McLean had poor games last night, but they are playing at a top level in England (will not count Patterson as he was not in the original squad)

Everyone else really is there on some merit to a degree.

7 minutes ago, wanderer said:

who exactly is the "deadwood".... based on our recent squad, only players I look at and think "there is no real need for you" is Taylor and O'Donnell (but can understand why out of those two SoD is there)

Fleck and McLean had poor games last night, but they are playing at a top level in England (will not count Patterson as he was not in the original squad)

True but there are players there that inclusion of young up and coming players would be the better option.

25 minutes ago, wanderer said:

When the squad was announced and not taking into account the way they have payed I thought Jack, McLean, Fleck, Gallagher,Taylor and either O'Donnell or Palmer.  To be blunt it was more a case of me looking at the squad and thinking is that the best we can do? at that point you have found the deadwood 

Most of them are on the wrong side of 25 and in my opinion average players peak at around 24-27 and hold there ability for less time than good players

Who to have picked instead is another matter.

McIntyre is on the under 21's subs bench so I assume  Johnston and Porteouse are both better any one of those three would be a start. I thought McIntyre would be in the full squad originally Do we have some problem with weakening the under 21 squad? Other countries seem to call up players from their under 21's to cover withdrawals. Hornby should have been called up when McBurnie withdrew, he could have even have been in the squad in the first place rather than the oddity of ending up with a single striker squad. Do other countries pick squads with only two strikers.

Paterson should have been our right back for the last 10 games and any one thinking otherwise  knows something I don't about the game.

We keep going on about Wales and their young players. I take it they don't keep them all in the unders the way we do. 

We know the players I mention are not and never will be good enough to be part of a decent international team.

Is there any point in having "good squad players" at international level if it stunts the progress of younger players.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Let's not kid ourselves on, with the exception of Todd Kane every player already mentioned in this thread would have every chance of making our squad, if they elected to play for us. 

Ryan Fredericks, for instance, might very well be one of West Ham's worst players, but if he was any worse than Liam Palmer or Stephen O'Donnell he wouldn't even be at West Ham to be one of their worst players!

Lets not kid ourselves on, every player mentioned has zero inclination in playing for us until they realise they are too shite for England.

1 hour ago, Rohan said:

Ewan Roy Urain Airs born and bred in Bilbao Spain, however parents are Scottish and he's eligible. Siriki Dembele because of schooling, at Peterborough United but bigger teams have been linked with him

I read that Siriki Dembele's dream was to play for the Ivory Coast and hopefully with his brother

On 9/8/2020 at 4:29 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

Lets not kid ourselves on, every player mentioned has zero inclination in playing for us until they realise they are too shite for England.

I don't care about England (although having the exploits of their team shoved down my throat every two years after we've failed to qualify - again - does get on my tits a bit) I'm only interested in improving the pool of players we have.

On 9/8/2020 at 3:13 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Wales also cap players who - whisper it - weren't born or brought up in Wales.  Off the top of my head I can think of 5 players in our last squad who weren't born or brought up in Scotland but you'd think it was every other player the way some people get their knickers in a twist over it.

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

Wales also cap players who - whisper it - weren't born or brought up in Wales.  Off the top of my head I can think of 5 players in our last squad who weren't born or brought up in Scotland but you'd think it was every other player the way some people get their knickers in a twist over it.

And I bet they were asked and accepted. Whereas on list here we have players who have already turned us down. Big difference.

4 hours ago, scotlad said:

I remember one of wales matches in euro 2016, they had a few english born players with 2 of them scoring.  I doubt there fans gave a shit