Scotland starting XI vs Czech Republic - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland starting XI vs Czech Republic

Taylor1996

13 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

That’s what I predict, not what I want with him being captain for the next game.

Should have highlighted that reason why I marked him as (c) for the predicted purpose. 

stripping Robertson of captaincy is easier said than done, and unfortunately do not see it happening anytime soon. If at all. Hence why.

I think without that pressure he’d be a much better asset to Scotland. 

I agree with all this. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It's what Sheffield United do. I think the buzz words at the moment in football are "overlapping centre back"

Was looking at the Sheffield Wednesday fans forum a few days ago to check on Palmer and it appears he is has been getting drilled as how to play as a wing back for the upcoming season. Mind you it didn't say if it was on the left or right. He plays nearly as often on the right as the left

So I suppose if we want to continue the experiment- him in for Forrest, Cooper in for Mctominay, Mctominay for McGregor  would be some sort of plan. I still don't think this is the best use of our available players though.

Personally, 

McGlaughlin

Paterson/Palmer            Mckenna          Tierney              Robbertson

Armstrong                McToninay                Jack                    Christie

McGinn

Paterson/ Dykes

Prefer Cooper to McKenna  and Fleck to Jack  but neither could be faulted for Fridays performance 

Aye but most folk that do that are trained to do so on a daily basis and are not Left Backs played out of position. 

The player that would be covering for him wouldn’t be used to doing that either. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. 

14 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

That’s what I predict, not what I want with him being captain for the next game.

Should have highlighted that reason why I marked him as (c) for the predicted purpose. 

stripping Robertson of captaincy is easier said than done, and unfortunately do not see it happening anytime soon. If at all. Hence why.

I think without that pressure he’d be a much better asset to Scotland. 

Surely Robertson recognises this himself and should volunteer to step down as captain? It would be much better than him being stripped of the captaincy

Having said that I’m not 100% convinced him being the captain is actually the problem. Being played out of position and/or being surrounded by inferior players doesn’t help. 

8 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Robertson being captain isn't a problem...captaincy in modern fitba is outdated nonsense.

Robertson's problem (and something he needs to get his head around) is that he doesnt have VVD beside him, Fabinho inside him and Mane, Salah and Firmino to hit...he has Lyndon Dykes up front on his own. 

Clearly that is an issue and will stop him from looking as good for Scotland than he does for Liverpool but he didn’t have any of that at Queens Park, Dundee United or Hull and was considered a very good player and a success for those teams. 

He’s never come close to having an excellent game for Scotland as far as I can  remember. He may well have done but I can’t remember it.

Whether the captaincy plays any part in this I don’t know. 

Anyone who thinks Calum McGregor should start is either a Celtic fan or the man himself.

Fleck should start and it would be a good idea to stick McTominay in centre mid, drop Jack to right back or replace Jack with Cooper.

players like Cooper and Fleck had great seasons and players like McGregor seem first picks but with no reasoning whatsoever. 

15 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Marshall

Palmer.    Cooper.       Tierney.       Robertson

Mctominay.   Fleck

Armstrong        Mcginn.         Christie

Dykes

Happy with that also. It’s important the striker is given support and I think he would get it with this.

I’m pretty sure McGinn won’t start this one though. Maybe Burke would play on the right, Armstrong in the middle and Christie left. Also an argument for Armstrong left with Robertson bombing outside him and Christie in the middle. 

5 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Happy with that also. It’s important the striker is given support and I think he would get it with this.

I’m pretty sure McGinn won’t start this one though. Maybe Burke would play on the right, Armstrong in the middle and Christie left. Also an argument for Armstrong left with Robertson bombing outside him and Christie in the middle. 

Why wouldn't McGinn start?

I can't see his fitness level being behind any one else's

5 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

What makes you think McGinn won’t start?

29 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Marshall

Mctominay.   Fleck

Dykes

I'd be happy to see how that goes. Does anyone have an idea of the scale of difference between the left of 3 CB's and the left of 2 CBs? Has Tierney ever done the latter?

22 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Marshall

Mctominay.   Fleck

Dykes

Wouldn't be unhappy with that or switch Tierney to RB and bring in McKenna at CH.

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Robertson being captain isn't a problem...captaincy in modern fitba is outdated nonsense.

Robertson's problem (and something he needs to get his head around) is that he doesnt have VVD beside him, Fabinho inside him and Mane, Salah and Firmino to hit...he has Lyndon Dykes up front on his own. 

I dont think it's so much Robertson's problem as it is the rest of the Scotland supporters who can't seem to get that into their heads for some reason.

"He doesn't produce his Liverpool form in a Scotland top."

Sake. Add to that the fact he's actually scored pretty much as many goals for Scotland as he has for Liverpool. He's a genuinely outstanding player, but football is a team game for the love of God. 

Manager irked by the fuss made of his formation ‘tweak’ in the draw with Israel

Clarke wants us to be flexible.

What's usually said about me is "Are you more qualified than a real life manager?". 

Clarke used 3-4-2-1 during an "important" match. And there's people telling him that he's wrong for doing so. So, my question to these people who are telling Clarke that he is wrong to experiment, are you more qualified than a real manager?

Don't bother answering, I don't care.

This isn't an important match. The Nations League/Cup is a glorified friendly tournament for Scotland.

People talking about "it's important for seedings".

If you put us in Pot 1 for the next European Championships and World Cup qualifying, we'd still labour against teams like Cyprus, Israel, etc. Put us in Pot 1 and we'd still finish 3rd or 4th in our group. 

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Manager irked by the fuss made of his formation ‘tweak’ in the draw with Israel

Clarke wants us to be flexible.

What's usually said about me is "Are you more qualified than a real life manager?". 

Clarke used 3-4-2-1 during an "important" match. And there's people telling him that he's wrong for doing so. So, my question to these people who are telling Clarke that he is wrong to experiment, are you more qualified than a real manager?

Don't bother answering, I don't care.

This isn't an important match. The Nations League/Cup is a glorified friendly tournament for Scotland.

People talking about "it's important for seedings".

If you put us in Pot 1 for the next European Championships and World Cup qualifying, we'd still labour against teams like Cyprus, Israel, etc. Put us in Pot 1 and we'd still finish 3rd or 4th in our group. 

Clarke wanting us to be flexible is great and he say's the ability to change during games or for different games is admirable. However he has to start games with his first choice set up and that was not it.

That  was an important match, if Clarke thinks different he has no respect for his players. Do you think they want to be playing Latvia, Lithuania and the likes in the next nations league? To experiment you need points on the board and no chance of relegation or promotion which in the group stages of tournaments is common.. Experimenting in the traditional form of friendlies was a total waste of time. Texas Pete said that we had the perfect chance to experiment in the last three games of the last qualification campaign, I would go as far as to say after the first defeat against Russia

Saying if we were seeded in the first pot that we would still finish 3rd or 4th is just stupid we would be there for a reason and that would be that we had started winning games.

As for you being a better manager I said from day one it was an  awful appointment so you might well be, although your people skills are sometimes a bit off.

Let's not discuss the manager though, he needs more time people keep saying. Personally I m not happy with one single performance since he took over. In fact I would go as  far as to say not even one 20 minute spell.

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Clarke wanting us to be flexible is great and he say's the ability to change during games or for different games is admirable. However he has to start games with his first choice set up and that was not it.

That  was an important match, if Clarke thinks different he has no respect for his players. Do you think they want to be playing Latvia, Lithuania and the likes in the next nations league? To experiment you need points on the board and no chance of relegation or promotion which in the group stages of tournaments is common.. Experimenting in the traditional form of friendlies was a total waste of time. Texas Pete said that we had the perfect chance to experiment in the last three games of the last qualification campaign, I would go as far as to say after the first defeat against Russia

Saying if we were seeded in the first pot that we would still finish 3rd or 4th is just stupid we would be there for a reason and that would be that we had started winning games.

As for you being a better manager I said from day one it was an  awful appointment so you might well be, although your people skills are sometimes a bit off.

Let's not discuss the manager though, he needs more time people keep saying. Personally I m not happy with one single performance since he took over. In fact I would go as  far as to say not even one 20 minute spell.

Steve Clarke isn't the answer... being offered the Scotland job after a good 18month spell with Kilmarnock is utter nonsense 

8 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Steve Clarke isn't the answer... being offered the Scotland job after a good 18month spell with Kilmarnock is utter nonsense 

There isn't alot of top managers queuing up for the job. Infact most half decent managers don't want the job. Clarke did well with a limited squad at kilmarnock and most ppl wanted him. He deserves a chance albeit its not been particulary very promising so far. He will be judged on the play off game/s.

14 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

There isn't alot of top managers queuing up for the job. Infact most half decent managers don't want the job. Clarke did well with a limited squad at kilmarnock and most ppl wanted him. He deserves a chance albeit its not been particulary very promising so far. He will be judged on the play off game/s.

We'll never know who was interested in the job...the media picked Clarke and the SFA ran with it in much the same way that they did when Levein got the job.

I'd have loved to have seen them carry out proper due diligence, but they didnt and Clarke has managed to get himself a decent wee earner.

He done a decent job at Killie by getting them to 3rd place

12 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

We'll never know who was interested in the job...the media picked Clarke and the SFA ran with it in much the same way that they did when Levein got the job.

I'd have loved to have seen them carry out proper due diligence, but they didnt and Clarke has managed to get himself a decent wee earner.

Its obvious that no one is interested by the fact that for the last 15 years we have had mediocre or past their best managers take the job. You think the sfa don't want the best manager they can get? As much as I dislike the sfa the truth is alot of managers won't touch the job with a barge pole. It's been shown over the years to be a extremely tough gig. Look at the managers that have taken the job over the years, most have been down and out and had nothing better offered to them so they have been forced to take the job. 

21 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Michael O'Neil was interviewed but refused what ever was put on the table.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/michael-o-neill-northern-ireland-scotland-offer-reject-manager-gordon-strachan-a8172206.html

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Clarke said in an interview there would be changes to personnel in view of new English season and the next Israel game. McGinn has had a long term injury and I doubt if his club want him over exerted. 

It’s not really up to his club to be fair although the could have asked that he only plays one game I suppose. I doubt it though as they’ll want him to get minutes in his legs I would’ve thought. 

My question would be if you are only going to play your (arguably) best player in one match do you play him in what should have been the easier match or keep him for the difficult one? 🤔

23 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Its obvious that no one is interested by the fact that for the last 15 years we have had mediocre or past their best managers take the job. You think the sfa don't want the best manager they can get? As much as I dislike the sfa the truth is alot of managers won't touch the job with a barge pole. It's been shown over the years to be a extremely tough gig. Look at the managers that have taken the job over the years, most have been down and out and had nothing better offered to them so they have been forced to take the job. 

I think the SFA were stung by the failure of Berti Vogts, and ever since then have refused to consider a foreign manager so we end up with hasbeens or never havebeens from Scotland.