Scotland starting XI vs Czech Republic - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland starting XI vs Czech Republic

Taylor1996

17 minutes ago, adamntg said:

The football and the results were diabolical under Vogts.  0-3 v Hungary, 0-2 v Ireland, 0-2 v Austria, all at Hampden, 1-1 v Moldova, 2-2 v Faroes, 0-1 v Lithuania, 0-4 v Wales, 0-5 v France, 0-6 v Holland.  He only won 9 out of 32 games, and 8 out of those were against Hong Kong XI, Faroes, Iceland (when they were shite), Trinidad, Canada and squeaked through against Lithuania and Estonia.  Absolutely embarrassingly bad.

The only two decent results he got were a draw at home to Germany and the 1-0 v Netherlands with the flukey deflected goal which was quickly wiped out.

And some of the diddies he capped - Gareth Williams,  Kevin Kyle, Scott Dobie, Warren Cummings, Robbie Stockdale, the other Andy Gray, Graeme Murty, Paul Gallagher,  Jamie Smith, Maurice Ross, Bob Malcolm, Paul Devlin - just wow...

Yeh I was responding to the ppl who said bertie done well. He was poor overall and only made a play off due to our extremely easy group. His results were generally terrible apart from a couple of decent results. He wasnt all bad but overall he was pretty poor but most of our managers have been poor in recent years. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh I was responding to the ppl who said bertie done well. He was poor overall and only made a play off due to our extremely easy group. His results were generally terrible apart from a couple of decent results. He wasnt all bad but overall he was pretty poor but most of our managers have been poor in recent years. 

He didn’t do any worse than the majority of our Scottish managers since Brown was the point I originally made and the SFA shouldn’t have been put off employing a foreign manager because of what Vogts did.

One foreign coach that didn’t do brilliantly doesn’t mean they are all poor. 

2 hours ago, adamntg said:

The football and the results were diabolical under Vogts.  0-3 v Hungary, 0-2 v Ireland, 0-2 v Austria, all at Hampden, 1-1 v Moldova, 2-2 v Faroes, 0-1 v Lithuania, 0-4 v Wales, 0-5 v France, 0-6 v Holland.  He only won 9 out of 32 games, and 8 out of those were against Hong Kong XI, Faroes, Iceland (when they were shite), Trinidad, Canada and squeaked through against Lithuania and Estonia.  Absolutely embarrassingly bad.

The only two decent results he got were a draw at home to Germany and the 1-0 v Netherlands with the flukey deflected goal which was quickly wiped out.

And some of the diddies he capped - Gareth Williams,  Kevin Kyle, Scott Dobie, Warren Cummings, Robbie Stockdale, the other Andy Gray, Graeme Murty, Paul Gallagher,  Jamie Smith, Maurice Ross, Bob Malcolm, Paul Devlin - just wow...

The game against the Hong Kong League XI has never been recognised by FIFA so Warren Cummings has no caps for Scotland. Appearances and goals scored in that game don't count either. The SFA arranged that game at the last minute so that Vogts could finally record a win.

Bob Malcolm was called up at least once by Vogts but he never played. He has no caps.

Jamie Smith was quite a promising young player at Celtic but injuries screwed his career.

With the benefit of hindsight, Vogts would have been slightly better off picking players like Robbie Winters, Charlie Miller, Alex Rae & Dougie Freedman (all four of whom he ignored) than some of the others he picked. 

Kenny Miller kept getting injured during the first half of Vogts time in charge which didn't help either.

Again with hindsight, Paul Gallacher should really have been our first choice goalkeeper rather than Rab Douglas.

5 minutes ago, runningtings said:

------------------- Marshall

Palmer Cooper McKenna Robertson

------------- Fleck McLean

Christie McTominay Armstrong

------------------ Dykes

Marshall

mctominay Cooper mckenna

Palmer fleck McLean robbo

armstrong dykes christie

also a possibility.

1 minute ago, Eassy said:

Even with a weakened Czech side I think benching 3 of the players with pass marks from Friday sets a bad example, good to see a back 4 and opportunities for Fleck, Armstrong and Cooper though.

Aye, I wouldn't have dropped Jack, McGinn or Tierney - or I wouldn't have dropped all three anyway - I thought they performed as well as anyone on Friday.  Forrest and McGregor, fair enough.

Of all the players dropped from Friday, I would say only Tierney is the only unlucky one.... Forrest has been poor a while now, McGinn was nowhere near match sharpness and Jack for Fleck I would say is an improvement.

Would say McLean starting is probably the only real shock

Edited by wanderer

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

Aye, I wouldn't have dropped Jack, McGinn or Tierney - or I wouldn't have dropped all three anyway - I thought they performed as well as anyone on Friday.  Forrest and McGregor, fair enough.

Aye exactly the 3 I was referring to, McGinn deserved a go tonight in his actual position, would have went with Tierney over Robbo.

Just now, scotlad said:

Please, no McTominay in defence again. 😭

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Of all the players dropped from Friday, I would say only Tierney is the only unlucky one.... Forrest has been poor a while now, McGinn was nowhere near match sharpness and Jack for Fleck I would say is an improvement.

Would say McLean starting is probably the only real shock

Surprised by Tierney being omitted, the others less so.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

What must be taken into account is well is player fitness. Some of the squad have not started the season yet and not had a normal pre-season. That plays havoc with things. To ask McGinn to play two matches in three days when not match sharp is asking too much. Same goes for Tierney I would say.

Of course, this talk of players being dropped is nonsense. As I said yesterday, Clarke indicated  there was going to be a lot of players rested because of the English season starting next week and the big one against Israel on the horizon.