Scotland starting XI vs Czech Republic - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland starting XI vs Czech Republic

Taylor1996

McTominay is a ball-carrier, he's excellent at taking the ball forward, also he's our best passer. United fans generally don't rate his passing, "woeful" is a word that I read a few hours back. But regardless, he's the best we have. He should be in midfield.

And it's a coin flip for who gets the centre back spot, Tierner or Robertson. Tierney has a great spring, so I'd go with him:

Marshall

Cooper. McKenna. Tierney

Forrest.                                           Burke

Robertson

McTominay        Fleck

Dykes.         McGinn

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Marshall

Palmer mckenna Cooper robertson

Armstrong Mcginn mctominay Tierney 

Christie

Dykes

Decent shout. 

I’d probably find a place for Fleck though. 

Guest ElChris04

Here’s what I would go with, classic 4-4-2 to give more support to our ST and play Tierney at left back to really get the best out him. 

McLaughlin

Palmer-McKenna-Cooper-Tierney 

Armstrong-Fleck-McGinn-Robertson (c)

Christie Dykes 

- i would drop the 2 worst players in McGregor the Ghost and Forrest. 

- Robertson need the captaincy moved off him, never a leader in a million years.

- Someone who is a captain at club level like Cooper would be my ideal pick, he’s also our best CB, criminal to think he was benched for McTominay to play out of position. 

- I don’t think we are simply good enough to plane a lone ST, it’s brutal to watch Dykes stranded alone with little support. A partnership with someone is what he needs. 

- I want to see us getting the best out Tierney and that is playing him at left back. His defensive work aswelll as going forward and overlapping Robertson is something I think would be great. 

16 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Here’s what I would go with, classic 4-4-2 to give more support to our ST and play Tierney at left back to really get the best out him. 

McLaughlin

Palmer-McKenna-Cooper-Tierney 

Armstrong-Fleck-McGinn-Robertson (c)

Christie Dykes 

- i would drop the 2 worst players in McGregor the Ghost and Forrest. 

- Robertson need the captaincy moved off him, never a leader in a million years.

- Someone who is a captain at club level like Cooper would be my ideal pick, he’s also our best CB, criminal to think he was benched for McTominay to play out of position. 

- I don’t think we are simply good enough to plane a lone ST, it’s brutal to watch Dykes stranded alone with little support. A partnership with someone is what he needs. 

- I want to see us getting the best out Tierney and that is playing him at left back. His defensive work aswelll as going forward and overlapping Robertson is something I think would be great. 

And yet you make Robertson your captain?

Guest ElChris04
31 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

And yet you make Robertson your captain?

That’s what I predict, not what I want with him being captain for the next game.

Should have highlighted that reason why I marked him as (c) for the predicted purpose. 

stripping Robertson of captaincy is easier said than done, and unfortunately do not see it happening anytime soon. If at all. Hence why.

I think without that pressure he’d be a much better asset to Scotland. 

Edited by ElChris04

13 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

That’s what I predict, not what I want with him being captain for the next game.

Should have highlighted that reason why I marked him as (c) for the predicted purpose. 

stripping Robertson of captaincy is easier said than done, and unfortunately do not see it happening anytime soon. If at all. Hence why.

I think without that pressure he’d be a much better asset to Scotland. 

Fair enough but you did say “here’s what I would go with” so you’ll understand why I was confused I hope?

I wouldn’t strip Robertson of the captaincy but I would play him at LB and give him the freedom to play as he likes. 

Guest ElChris04
25 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Fair enough but you did say “here’s what I would go with” so you’ll understand why I was confused I hope?

I wouldn’t strip Robertson of the captaincy but I would play him at LB and give him the freedom to play as he likes. 

Yep of course, my error with that. 

I would love to be proved wrong with Robertson as captain and him to really take the reigns more going forward,  as much as I don’t think he’s a leader he’s a man who you only command respect for giving everything he’s achieved and his career path to get where he is now. 

but personally I cannot shake off the feeling giving the pressure it comes with being captain it hinders his confidence to really get going and play confidently in his game as, some people do expect far too much from him giving his position, and that also is another weight of captaincy. 

I just feel it be better suited to someone like Cooper who is used to that weight where he’s captain of Leeds at club level and knows how to deal with that similar type of pressure continually.

Edited by ElChris04

26 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Yep of course, my error with that. 

I would love to be proved wrong with Robertson as captain and him to really take the reigns more going forward,  as much as I don’t think he’s a leader he’s a man who you only command respect for giving everything he’s achieved and his career path to get where he is now. 

but personally I cannot shake off the feeling giving the pressure it comes with being captain it hinders his confidence to really get going and play confidently in his game as, some people do expect far too much from him giving his position, and that also is another weight of captaincy. 

I just feel it be better suited to someone like Cooper who is used to that weight where he’s captain of Leeds at club level and knows how to deal with that similar type of pressure continually.

Fair enough. 

I do understand what you’re saying as well. I was genuinely confused the other night when Cooper didn’t start. 

We are literally foaming at the mouth for a quality centre back and Clarke leaves him on the bench. 

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

marshall

palmer        McKenna tierney    Robertson

Jack

Armstrong mctominay mcginn   Christie

Dykes

That's what id play as well. 

i think the things we have learned are mctominay is not a centre half.  Forrest is not a wing back at Scotland level - maybe ok at Celtic when he goes forward all the time.    I would prefer to play mcginn slightly deeper to allow late runs to the box but we need support for dykes so one up one off and Christie would be good.  I like how Iceland played 4-4-2 in euro 2016 could work for us.might be tempted to try

Marshall

palmer   McKenna Cooper  robertson

armstrong mctominay  mcginn  tierney

Christie

Dykes

options include swapping jack for Christie for tricky away sit in fixtures.  Playing fleck ahead of mctominay. FoRest or fraser as impact subs.  Mcburnie as an impact sub.  If gilmour becomes a regular not sure where you would fit him in.

i think it was a mistake to make Robertson captain as I agree with many comments above but I wouldn’t take it off him now.  Just cos he is our best player doesn’t make him good for the role.

35 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

i think the things we have learned are mctominay is not a centre half.  Forrest is not a wing back at Scotland level - maybe ok at Celtic when he goes forward all the time.    I would prefer to play mcginn slightly deeper to allow late runs to the box but we need support for dykes so one up one off and Christie would be good.  I like how Iceland played 4-4-2 in euro 2016 could work for us.might be tempted to try

Marshall

palmer   McKenna Cooper  robertson

armstrong mctominay  mcginn  tierney

Christie

Dykes

options include swapping jack for Christie for tricky away sit in fixtures.  Playing fleck ahead of mctominay. FoRest or fraser as impact subs.  Mcburnie as an impact sub.  If gilmour becomes a regular not sure where you would fit him in.

i think it was a mistake to make Robertson captain as I agree with many comments above but I wouldn’t take it off him now.  Just cos he is our best player doesn’t make him good for the role.

This would be my team for Monday, although I understand some players are going to be rested. I would like to see Fleck play, and I suspect McGinn will drop to the bench given his current fitness. 

I reckon we might revert to a 4-2-3-1

Marshall

Tierney    Cooper        McKenna    Robertson

Jack        McGregor/Fleck

Forrest/Armstrong   McGinn     Christie

Dykes

Cant see Clarke making too many changes to personnel. Would maybe like to see Fleck in there in place of McGregor, who looks gubbed!

Could potentially move Tierney to LCB alongside McKenna with Palmer or Jack at RB. That way we’ve at least got one predominantly right footed defender. Am not sure about Tierney in the centre of a flat back 4 though.

Edited by SWMM82

I think there will be plenty of changes tomorrow night, and Friday was a case of just trying new ideas and getting players back playing, while giving nothing away to Israel ahead of next month (I suspect Clarke has written off the Nations League to a degree to focus fully on the play off game next month) and with us now effectively playing a Olomouc/Ostrava select tomorrow, probably see us making the changes and play something closer to what the team will look like next month.

11 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

McTominay is a ball-carrier, he's excellent at taking the ball forward, also he's our best passer. United fans generally don't rate his passing, "woeful" is a word that I read a few hours back. But regardless, he's the best we have. He should be in midfield.

And it's a coin flip for who gets the centre back spot, Tierner or Robertson. Tierney has a great spring, so I'd go with him:

Marshall

Cooper. McKenna. Tierney

Robertson

McTominay        Fleck

Dykes.         McGinn

Forrest :hammer:

Forest played there on Friday. And who knows where Burke's best position is.

McTominay isn't a defender, and yet he was centre back on Friday. 

Forrest isn't an international football player and yet he was on the pitch ( or was he ) on Friday.

Marshall

Cooper. McKenna. Tierney

Robertson

McTominay        Fleck

Dykes.         McGinn

I remember taking acid, I saw a cat play a violin, and a an object fly through a closed window. But Ive never seen anything as fucked up as this.

We should stick with the formation from Friday.....possibly, we can't have three left footers in our back line.  Cooper, Tierney and McKenna cant and shouldn't play together - I would play Cooper, Gallagher and Robertson, with Tierney as a holding midfielder - when Robertson makes a run which I am encouraging him to do - Tierney slots back to cover.  a 3-1-4-1.  

If we don't use this opportunity to try 3 at the back again, then its a wasted opportunity, I really want to see how Robertson plays in a back three at least for a half.  If it flops, then I am going back to 4 at the back with Tierney and Gallagher - McKenna & Cooper won't get any more starts unless their form goes through the roof or Robertson or Tierney's form drops.   

Christie on the left, McTominay and McGinn in the middle and Armstrong on the right.  Dykes up front.

Burke as an impact sub and Taylor to make an appearance.   

Robertson isn't my captain but the question is when to make that switch, to take it away from him would seem like punishment - I said it before Clarke shouldn't have done that but he made his bed he needs to lie in it for now.  I would make McTominay our captain. Reasoning - I want my captain more central on the park and I don't see Robertson as being influential on the park..  He is our more accomplished player but that doesn't matter to me in regards to qualifications for captain. 

33 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

We should stick with the formation from Friday.....possibly, we can't have three left footers in our back line.  Cooper, Tierney and McKenna cant and shouldn't play together - I would play Cooper, Gallagher and Robertson, with Tierney as a holding midfielder - when Robertson makes a run which I am encouraging him to do - Tierney slots back to cover.  a 3-1-4-1.  

If we don't use this opportunity to try 3 at the back again, then its a wasted opportunity, I really want to see how Robertson plays in a back three at least for a half.  If it flops, then I am going back to 4 at the back with Tierney and Gallagher - McKenna & Cooper won't get any more starts unless their form goes through the roof or Robertson or Tierney's form drops.   

Christie on the left, McTominay and McGinn in the middle and Armstrong on the right.  Dykes up front.

Burke as an impact sub and Taylor to make an appearance.   

Robertson isn't my captain but the question is when to make that switch, to take it away from him would seem like punishment - I said it before Clarke shouldn't have done that but he made his bed he needs to lie in it for now.  I would make McTominay our captain. Reasoning - I want my captain more central on the park and I don't see Robertson as being influential on the park..  He is our more accomplished player but that doesn't matter to me in regards to qualifications for captain. 

You want one of our back 3 to go on forward runs?

What could possibly go wrong?

48 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You want one of our back 3 to go on forward runs?

What could possibly go wrong?

It's what Sheffield United do. I think the buzz words at the moment in football are "overlapping centre back"

Was looking at the Sheffield Wednesday fans forum a few days ago to check on Palmer and it appears he is has been getting drilled as how to play as a wing back for the upcoming season. Mind you it didn't say if it was on the left or right. He plays nearly as often on the right as the left

So I suppose if we want to continue the experiment- him in for Forrest, Cooper in for Mctominay, Mctominay for McGregor  would be some sort of plan. I still don't think this is the best use of our available players though.

Personally, 

McGlaughlin

Paterson/Palmer            Mckenna          Tierney              Robbertson

Armstrong                McToninay                Jack                    Christie

McGinn

Paterson/ Dykes

Prefer Cooper to McKenna  and Fleck to Jack  but neither could be faulted for Fridays performance