Czech game - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Czech game

kumnio

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Its a chance for us to get 3pts and a confidence boosting win. So it's not all bad. We can then go into the play off game with a win under our belt albeit against poor opposition. 

A large part of Clarke's tactics and team selection for Friday said to me that he was trying to avoid giving away to much (worked to a degree, as a number of the Israeli team were saying next day that they have nothing to fear if we play like that next month), I think tonight's performance (regardless of the standard of the Czech team) was always going to be very different. 

marshall

palmer           McKenna         cooper         Robertson

Armstrong   fleck   mctominay McGinn   tiernry

dykes

42 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Almost the perfect set up for another Scotland humiliation 🤦🏻‍♂️

Probably take a 1 nil win now 

I'm the same - Scotland always seem to react to how other teams play rather than commit to their own system and without knowing a lot about how these will set-up it is a recipe for disaster. 

You'd imagine they'll be super up for it as well as some of them will see this as their only chance.  Their league is a couple of  games in too so will be more match fit potentially than our EPL players.  Can't imagine there is an absolute massive drop-off from those that just missed out on the squad either in terms of quality.

I'm worried they either come flying out the traps and sucker punch us or we start to absolutely shit our pants if we don't score in 20 minutes.     

Edited by ThistleWhistle

Just looking at the Czech squad in the Football Manager database and it appears that the strongest XI (using the same formation the Czechs used against Slovakia) is about as strong as the Northern Ireland side that drew with Romania (ie. not a pushover).

The side they had against Slovakia was about as good as Israel's team against us; all teams in our group are about the same standard - with us being slightly stronger than the other three (based on the starting XIs from the last game).

The difference for the Czechs is about going from a promotion challenger in English Championship side to an upper mid-table English Championship side (player-for-player). Their best keeper is significantly weaker than the other players in their strongest XI, being around average English League One standard.

None of this takes into account the suitability of players in each position though (McTominay for example is rated based on his ability as a central midfielder, but played centre-back), but I'd imagine it wouldn't make much difference overall in terms of the relative standard of the teams.

Edited by Clyde1998

27 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Just looking at the Czech squad in the Football Manager database and it appears that the strongest XI (using the same formation the Czechs used against Slovakia) is about as strong as the Northern Ireland side that drew with Romania (ie. not a pushover).

The side they had against Slovakia was about as good as Israel's team against us; all teams in our group are about the same standard - with us being slightly stronger than the other three (based on the starting XIs from the last game).

The difference for the Czechs is about going from a promotion challenger in English Championship side to an upper mid-table English Championship side (player-for-player). Their best keeper is significantly weaker than the other players in their strongest XI, being around average English League One standard.

None of this takes into account the suitability of players in each position though (McTominay for example is rated based on his ability as a central midfielder, but played centre-back), but I'd imagine it wouldn't make much difference overall in terms of the relative standard of the teams.

Interesting.

I haven't played Football Manager since 2013. A lot of managers and coaches use their database for analysis, etc.

Edited by Taylor1996

19 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

So are you saying that the teams all four put on Friday are pretty much the same and that this new squad is only marginally worse?

Speaking to a friend in the Czech Republic, apparently home press have totally written this game off and everyone over there expects a Scotland win.

Say their only real chance is if the Slavia players use their European experience and take the game by the scruff of the neck, but with it being a predominantly Olomouc/Ostrava select it will be a very lopsided team,as nobody is really holding their breath (goalkeeper is suppose to be "terrible") 

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Speaking to a friend in the Czech Republic, apparently home press have totally written this game off and everyone over there expects a Scotland win.

Say their only real chance is if the Slavia players use their European experience and take the game by the scruff of the neck, but with it being a predominantly Olomouc/Ostrava select it will be a very lopsided team,as nobody is really holding their breath (goalkeeper is suppose to be "terrible") 

The pressure that this is going to pile on the Scotland players will be absolutely seismic.

Our players are nervous enough when then they face teams that they're supposed to beat, but knowing that this is such a weakened Czech team, if they lose, they'll probably never live it down.

This is pretty much Scotland vs Czech league XI.

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

The pressure that this is going to pile on the Scotland players will be absolutely seismic.

Our players are nervous enough when then they face teams that they're supposed to beat, but knowing that this is such a weakened Czech team, if they lose, they'll probably never live it down.

This is pretty much Scotland vs Czech league XI

Yep, from what told me, its effectively the type of squad they would take to a winter camp in the Middle East during the winter break for a game v Moldova if none of the foreign based players could attend, plus Sparta and Plzen refused to release their players due to European games, but Slavia were feeling generous and gave a couple of fringe players.

I think we could get a 2-0 win tonight, but will be made to work for it (and probably our own inabilities will make that more of a factor rather than the weakness of the opponents)

Just now, wanderer said:

Yep, from what told me, its effectively the type of squad they would take to a winter camp in the Middle East during the winter break for a game v Moldova if none of the foreign based players could attend, plus Sparta and Plzen refused to release their players due to European games, but Slavia were feeling generous and gave a couple of fringe players.

I think we could get a 2-0 win tonight, but will be made to work for it (and probably our own inabilities will make that more of a factor rather than the weakness of the opponents)

Seriously?

Plzen are a really decent team, so that's going to be another really large slap in the face for the Czechs. It's selfish of them not to release their players.

I get the feeling of dread, to be honest.

18 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

So are you saying that the teams all four put on Friday are pretty much the same and that this new squad is only marginally worse?

Pretty much. Their squad for today is like us losing Robertson, Tierney and McGregor (as examples) and replacing them with slightly worse than average players and the rest of the squad being replaced by slightly worse players.

The key issue for them will be losing their best handful of players, which may be the ones able to change the game, and the new players being unfamiliar with each other and international football. They'll be worse generally, but not anywhere near the level a lot of people seem to be thinking.

The longer we take to get ahead, the harder it will be for us; an early goal at perhaps it could turn into a very comfortable win, otherwise it will still be difficult game.

24 minutes ago, wanderer said:

If only they knew about Scotland being Scotland 😂

Confidence for us will come from playing well, we are unbeaten in 4 but it's not enough, we need to be comfortable in our shape and strategy to be competitive against the Denmark's, Sweden's, Home nation's - right now we have no rhythm it's been shockingly bad and not what I expected when Clarke was appointed. 

6 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Confidence for us will come from playing well, we are unbeaten in 4 but it's not enough, we need to be comfortable in our shape and strategy to be competitive against the Denmark's, Sweden's, Home nation's - right now we have no rhythm it's been shockingly bad and not what I expected when Clarke was appointed. 

I think that is a mixture of Clarke coming into the job with a terrible run of games ahead of him (bar Cyprus.... Belgium(a) - Russia (h) - Belgium (h) - Russia (a) is a nightmare run of games to come into, especially with a team where the heads are already down) and poor luck when it comes to injuries... as he just can not get consistency.

In the "winniable" games I do not think we have played bad, just prone to moments of shooting ourselves in the foot. 

2 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

I’d fancy our chances against Northern Ireland if they had no idea 48 hours ago they’d be playing us, weren’t used to playing with each other and didn’t have their usual manager and coaching staff. 

23 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

We'll go back to 4-2-3-1. We'll then beat a weakened Czech Republic team 0-1, by aid of a penalty of an OG.

People will then say that that's our best system and that we have a strong midfield.

I was right on three counts.

We will win.

We'll get a penalty

People will pine for 4-2-3-1