Czech game - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Czech game

kumnio

23 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Chripper try’s to make out everyone else is fixated on 4 at the back when most fans don’t care what formation we play as long as we win. 

Well, that hypothesis has been debunked.

We beat the Czech Republic and yet I don't see many happy faces. Why? Because we won playing a three.

19 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Well, that hypothesis has been debunked.

We beat the Czech Republic and yet I don't see many happy faces. Why? Because we won playing a three.

That’s not quite correct is it?

I’m not happy with tonight’s performance because we were very poor and very lucky to beat a makeshift side and I think the performance was poor, at least in part, because of the formation.

If we had 3 decent centre backs and 2 good wing backs I’d be all for persevering with the current formation.

Too many players being played out of position (because we clearly do not have the players to play with 3 at the back) is causing us a major problem.  It didn’t work and now we need to face Israel next month with the team in a bit of a shambles. 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

That’s not quite correct is it?

I’m not happy with tonight’s performance because we were very poor and very lucky to beat a makeshift side and I think the performance was poor, at least in part, because of the formation.

If we had 3 decent centre backs and 2 good wing backs I’d be all for persevering with the current formation.

Too many players being played out of position (because we clearly do not have the players to play with 3 at the back) is causing us a major problem.  It didn’t work and now we need to face Israel next month with the team in a bit of a shambles. 

He inferred that most people would be happy if we win matches, irrespective of the formation.

He's wrong.

Most people are acting like there's a pandemic...

12 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

He inferred that most people would be happy if we win matches, irrespective of the formation.

He's wrong.

Most people are acting like there's a pandemic...

If we had won comfortably on Friday and tonight with that formation I’d have been all for sticking with it.

We were lucky to get a draw on Friday and we were lucky to win tonight. 

We have 4 points in spite of the formation, not because of it. Only my humble opinion of course. 

Edited by Texas Pete

9 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If we had won comfortably on Friday and tonight with that formation I’d have been all for sticking with it.

We were lucky to get a draw on Friday and we were lucky to win tonight. 

We have 4 points in spite of the formation, not because of it. Only my humble opinion of course. 

Football fans have zero patience. The more the players play in this formation, and the more they train in it, the better they will become at it.

Why does four at the back get 20 years and three at the back gets two matches?

I'm delighted, personally. 

We got four points and the manager played with a three. Yes, we could've played better, but would you rather have two bad performances and four points, or two great performances and zero points?

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

Football fans have zero patience. The more the players play in this formation, and the more they train in it, the better they will become at it.

Why does four at the back get 20 years and three at the back gets two matches?

I'm delighted, personally. 

We got four points and the manager played with a three. Yes, we could've played better, but would you rather have two bad performances and four points, or two great performances and zero points?

You can’t seriously be happy with McTominay playing in the right of a 3 surely? That’s a disaster waiting to happen. Wait until Haaland gets a hold of him if we manage to beat Israel and Norway beat Serbia. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

You can’t seriously be happy with McTominay playing in the right of a 3 surely? That’s a disaster waiting to happen. Wait until Haaland gets a hold of him if we manage to beat Israel and Norway beat Serbia. 

I'm happy about the formation and the points.

There are variables that I'm not happy with. McTominay is not a center back. Not in a million years. His main skillset is carrying the ball forward. His dribbling skills and face is deceptive.

He's our best midfielder.

I wouldn't play a double-pivot of midfielders. Contrary to popular belief, our midfielders are average. I'd play three in the middle of midfield. I wouldn't play with one striker.

And it's funny, I suggest playing Robertson as an anchorman, that idea gets torn to shreds. Someone suggests that Robertson be dropped from the squad. I doubt there'll be any detractors. Weird.

As I said, though, I'm delighted, generally.

5 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

There are variables that I'm not happy with. McTominay is not a center back. Not in a million years. His main skillset is carrying the ball forward. His dribbling skills and face is deceptive.

I wouldn't play a double-pivot of midfielders. Contrary to popular belief, our midfielders are average. I'd play three in the middle of midfield. I wouldn't play with one striker.

And it's funny, I suggest playing Robertson as an anchorman, that idea gets torn to shreds. Someone suggests that Robertson be dropped from the squad. I doubt there'll be any detractors. Weird.

The performances were terrible, we really should of lost both matches, we were gifted two pens. The Czech team had 19 chances to our 6 and 8 corners to our 0. We will get slaughtered against any decent team playing like that. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

The performances were terrible, we really should of lost both matches, we were gifted two pens. The Czech team had 19 chances to our 6 and 8 corners to our 0. We will get slaughtered against any decent team playing like that. 

I asked Pete this, he didn't answer, probably because the answer is obvious:

We got four points and the manager played with a three. Yes, we could've played better, but would you rather have two bad performances and four points, or two great performances and zero points?

It's about the big picture and the long haul. I don't care whether we played badly, I wouldn't have even cared if we got zero points. 

For me, it's about a building process. If people don't understand that, or don't want to wait, no one is asking them to support Scotland.

10 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

We have some good midfielders. It is our strongest area because the majority of our midfielders play in the EPL. 

When people say we have a strong midfield I think a lot of them mean relative to our other areas rather than relative to other countries.

I was a detractor of the suggestion of dropping Robertson so to say there won’t be any is incorrect.   

Just now, Texas Pete said:

We have some good midfielders. It is our strongest area because the majority of our midfielders play in the EPL. 

When people say we have a strong midfield I think a lot of them mean relative to our other areas rather than relative to other countries.

I was a detractor of the suggestion of dropping Robertson so to say there won’t be any is incorrect.   

It's a complete fallacy. We don't have good midfielders. Which of them are in the EPL? McGinn with Villa (relegation fodder), Armstrong with Southampton (mid-bottom) and Fleck with Sheffield United (fine, they're a good team), McTominay for Man United (see Fleck).

How many of those players are going to win a trophy next season?

Well, that's a different story. We have no defence and no one good in attack. 

There won't be any, apart from you. But you aren't in the TAMB clique, so of course I'm not talking about you.

4 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

It's a complete fallacy. We don't have good midfielders. Which of them are in the EPL? McGinn with Villa (relegation fodder), Armstrong with Southampton (mid-bottom) and Fleck with Sheffield United (fine, they're a good team), McTominay for Man United (see Fleck).

How many of those players are going to win a trophy next season?

Well, that's a different story. We have no defence and no one good in attack. 

There won't be any, apart from you. But you aren't in the TAMB clique, so of course I'm not talking about you.

Depends on your understanding of the word good I suppose. 

For me, you don’t get to play in the EPL or any top league unless you are a good player. 

The next step up is excellence of course and whether we have any excellent midfielders is a different argument. 

18 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Depends on your understanding of the word good I suppose. 

For me, you don’t get to play in the EPL or any top league unless you are a good player. 

The next step up is excellence of course and whether we have any excellent midfielders is a different argument. 

Let's not kid anyone on. We know our players, we've seen them for years, at club level and at international level. Take out McGinn and McTominay... the rest are not very good.

Take out the top 6 in the EPL and it's an extension of the Championship. Look at Fleck, McArthur and McCarthy. Bang average.

If you compare the midfielders we have to the midfielders we had in 96 and 98. I'm afraid, the current midfielders look terrible in comparison to: Collins, McAllister, Lambert, McCall, Burley. 

The aforementioned midfielders had the bottle to go toe-to-toe with the best in the world and in Europe, at the biggest stage. This current lot can't even pull themselves together to convincingly beat an international D team.

Edited by Taylor1996

14 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Let's not kid anyone on. We know our players, we've seen them for years, at club level and at international level. Take out McGinn and McTominay... the rest are not very good.

Take out the top 6 in the EPL and it's an extension of the Championship. Look at Fleck, McArthur and McCarthy. Bang average.

If you compare the midfielders we have to the midfielders we had in 96 and 98. I'm afraid, the current midfielders look terrible in comparison to: Collins, McAllister, Lambert, McCall, Burley. 

The aforementioned midfielders had the bottle to go toe-to-toe with the best in the world and in Europe, at the biggest stage. This current lot can't even pull themselves together to convincingly beat an international D team.

You don’t need to play for a top 6 team in England to be considered a good player.